HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

I must be wrong I have only been modelling diesels since 1980.

Show me a scratch build, perfectly proportioned, perfectly detailed, every rivet correct model, and then hats off to you sir :D

At least I have had a go, and enjoyed doing so.

All my BTHs are the correct shape.....the Heljan one is not. I did try to tell Heljan when I saw the pre production model...on one listened.

My Baby Deltic has the side windows in the right place, the Heljan model is wrong. It also has the right size headcode display box. One of the cries about the Heljan model was the headcode font was too small....no the box was.

All because someone else, not me, said you had got the blue paint wrong.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

All because someone else, not me, said you had got the blue paint wrong.

I must be thick, since Lee's post of July 10 (page 12), I can see no criticism of the shade of blue, just where it had been applied.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, truffy said:

I must be thick, since Lee's post of July 10 (page 12), I can see no criticism of the shade of blue, just where it had been applied.

So he launches into a attack on me because I dare to say what is wrong and ........

2 hours ago, blueeighties said:

And regarding the debate about BR blue, I thought I would post this image. 2 7mm kit built locos, along with the much discussed so called 'light blue' pre production 25. All painted by 3 different resprayers, all 3 locos exactly the same shade. Surely we can't all be wrong!?

Blue livery.jpg

Post this......

Up until he decided to have a go at me I had not replied any of his post.

I am out of here......as I mentioned on another thread when Heljan get things right they cannot be beaten, but when wrong they are very wrong. This is not going to be in league with the NBL D84xx but another DP2.

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

So he launches into a attack on me because I dare to say what is wrong and ........

"All because someone else, not me, said you had got the blue paint wrong"

Sorry Clive....at what point did I say you had said anything about 'the blue paint being wrong'? Nowhere that I can see, it was a general comment in response to others comments/queries.

I really do think you should take a chill pill and calm down a tad, after all, this is meant to be a hobby, and actually fun you know :D

And please, "launches into a attack on me",  we are all adults here, or at least I hope so, you don't seem to think about the reactions of others when you dish out the rather serious and scathing comments against  manufacturers efforts do you sir? 

Lets all just take a deep breath, enjoy the sunshine, and this wonderful hobby of ours :dirol_mini:

Edited by blueeighties
typo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

Sorry Clive....at what point did Isay you had said anything about 'the blue paint being wrong'? Nowhere that I cansee, it was a general comment in response to others comments/queries.

I really do think you should take a chillpill and calm down a tad, after all, this ismeant to be a obby, and actually fun you know :D

That's what I don't understand. Twice in this thread since you posted those painted samples you've mentioned a controversy over the shade of blue. But if it existed, it's disappeared.

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 12:32, blueeighties said:

Never thought something could create so much controversy :o

paint.jpg

3 hours ago, blueeighties said:

And regarding the debate about BR blue, I thought I would post this image. 2 7mm kit built locos, along with the much discussed so called 'light blue' pre production 25. All painted by 3 different resprayers, all 3 locos exactly the same shade. Surely we can't all be wrong!?

Blue livery.jpg

1 hour ago, truffy said:

That's what I don't understand. Twice in this thread since you posted those painted samples you've mentioned a controversy over the shade of blue. But if it existed, it's disappeared.

Once again you have my utmost apologies....obviously this pre production model has been featured on a number of forums and areas of social media, the discussion regarding many shades of blue wasn't actually on this one, my apologies for the confusion! :help:

• Thanks 1

paint colour, rivets, what is or is not behind the grill etc are trifles compared to the weird face of the model and the too steep rake of the front windows.  and i don't know how to describe it, but the head code box angle, as it leaves the roof up to the head code box, is much too steep (70 degrees-ish) compared to the prototype (45 degrees-ish). it makes the head code box, from a side view, look odd. 

Edited by peak experience
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, peak experience said:

paint colour, rivets, what is or is not behind the grill etc are trifles compared to the weird face of the model and the too steep rake of the front windows.  and i don't know how to describe it, but the head code box angle, as it leaves the roof up to the head code box, is much too steep (70 degrees-ish) compared to the prototype (45 degrees-ish). it makes the head code box, from a side view, look odd. 

If you don't like the cab, just change it like the real thing, lol

A good question I would like Heljan to answer is, are you going to make the standard mistake of having both red tail lights being on at the same time. Impossible on the real thing due to center off toggle switch (panel off 25191), see second pic

10494463_762725443771181_1316132199927096336_o.jpg

14089130_549530061923807_7608443950097794955_n.jpg

Edited by 25901
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, peak experience said:

head code box angle, as it leaves the roof up to the head code box, is much too steep (70 degrees-ish) compared to the prototype (45 degrees-ish). it makes the head code box, from a side view, look odd. 

Exactly the point I made 2 months ago, it was suggested after that there might have been 2 designs of roof..... but if there were...... they both seem to have the 45° slope from side on.

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, blueeighties said:

Blue livery.jpg

The blue of the same shade can vary significantly as above depending on the base colour it’s applied over, and the number of topcoats used and then further variation again if a varnish/laquer is the final finish. I felt the EP is definitely on the light end of the blue spectrum, but certainly not worth the foaming generated by it.

• Agree 2

On 16/07/2019 at 16:02, Phil Parker said:

*Cough*

I fear you may be needing some of my linctus.  :smile_mini:

Pine-and-Tar-Yummy.jpg.4c565ac1853b9d19ce2780f247dedc33.jpg

I'd hardly say those two comments out of fourteen pages amount to overwhelming negativity. Critique, surely improves the breed.

Anywez, I hope the original photographers don't mind; I've taken the liberty of tinkering about with a couple of images.

I'll just leave it here for folk to ponder over.

635755252_253-Meerkat.jpg.4469211977403249a48b6f06f3e99884.jpg

Good to see manufactures are at last trying to move away from the pebble glass glazing, giving us some thing more akin to the prototype as standard.

and a Hornby 25 (work in progress)

Hby25Medalling-011edit.jpg.abd1881de23ed230a902bff4fabb5e72.jpg

P

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Anywez, I hope the original photographers don't mind; I've taken the liberty of tinkering about with a couple of images.

I'll just leave it here for folk to ponder over.

Good to see manufactures are at last trying to move away from the pebble glass glazing, giving us some thing more akin to the prototype as standard.

P

That is an excellent comparison, thank you for setting it up. 

Plenty there to discuss. 

Paul. 

• RMweb Premium
On 18/07/2019 at 12:27, Porcy Mane said:

Good to see manufactures are at last trying to move away from the pebble glass glazing, giving us some thing more akin to the prototype as standard

Interesting comparison of the blue cabs. Any chance of continuing the lines over the top and bottom of the cab doors please. The top of the cab window seems to be too low and the lines might help confirm one way or the other.

25 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

The top of the cab window seems to be too low and the lines might help confirm one way or the other.

There you go.

1677636288_253-MeerkatII.jpg.b8a4cc2f49549a798c25d44b1b67f28f.jpg

I wouldn't read to much into it as the perspective of the two images don't match precisely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 26/07/2019 at 23:02, Will 1062 said:

Hey guys, loving all the information regarding the new 25/3 by Heljan! Just wondering abut the dcc sound side of things... how much room is inside for speakers etc?... 

thanks! 

There’s space inside for a reasonable speaker, not dedicated type specific but bigger than a sugar cube. As different people use variations in setups, it’s designed for user choice.

Blueeighties, do you have any photos taken after the front rain strip was painted blue?

I spent some time comparing photos last night and the strip between the top edge of the windscreen seal and bottom of the rain strip seems a tad too narrow, the gap should be a slightly bigger. The cad drawing seems to show a better width between the two.

I dont know if Heljan are beyond the point of alteration, but I would really like to see a more defined windscreen seal and the cab door window size fixed before it hit the shelves. 

Ben, you mentioned a while back that the mesh on the radiator was a compromise of fineness and strength, does that mean a finer, albeit weaker material is available to you?

Barry

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 21:26, Will 1062 said:

Any updates on it, or stll the same? 

The cab door window in that shot looks no better, however, the photos here seem to show improvement: https://www.hattons.co.uk/384105/heljan_2540_class_25_3_ethel_train_heating_unit_adb97250_in_br_blue_and_grey_unpowered_pri/stockdetail.aspx

Roy