HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

12 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

I saw similar pics on Hattons site, to be honest, something just isn't right with the front "face", whether it is too flat, or what , I don't know, can't quite put my finger on it. 

Paul. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 25901 said:

Bottom of door is flush if correct rain strip is fitted to door. Top marks for them doing the correct fiberglass roof that the 25s have but very low marks for the rad. grill (this is how the grill should look like)

DCP_0400.JPG

Going back to the grill...

yes its way off, Bachmann got this highly visible part quite.. visible.

Looking at Heljans pictures on facebook, the door doesn't look to bad.
I was puzzled at the rainstrip at the bottom of the door, but I have seen pictures of some rough rainstrips, I guess they got kicked a bit.

But that radiator grill, with lack of any visible behind detail, including the body support bar is a very visible omission (like on the class 45 EPs seen), though the picture of 25901 above is the only time I recall seeing such a clean interior, certainly innBR days they weren't clean.

But lets hope thats addressed.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

The grill while in service gets a build up of paint over the years so green locos had viewable through grill but the blue ones suffered with 30 something years of paint.

One thing that my pic highlight is the fact that they designed the grill on the real loco slightly in the wrong place and the rad group doesn't line up and becomes a bitch to seal up correctly unless you like wet electrical equipment (now how many of you noticed that)

Edited by 25901

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Going back to the grill...

yes its way off, Bachmann got this highly visible part quite.. visible.

Looking at Heljans pictures on facebook, the door doesn't look to bad.
I was puzzled at the rainstrip at the bottom of the door, but I have seen pictures of some rough rainstrips, I guess they got kicked a bit.

But that radiator grill, with lack of any visible behind detail, including the body support bar is a very visible omission (like on the class 45 EPs seen), though the picture of 25901 above is the only time I recall seeing such a clean interior, certainly innBR days they weren't clean.

But lets hope thats addressed.

Ah but us modllers want fine etched detail not better moulded grilles like the number two end has. :banghead:Cab door is all wrong as noted and the front still looks to flat. Do the roof panels look a tad too thick or is my eyesight?

Never mind plenty of people will buy them and enjoy them.

Off to run my old Hornby conversion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

I saw similar pics on Hattons site, to be honest, something just isn't right with the front "face", whether it is too flat, or what , I don't know, can't quite put my finger on it. 

Paul. 

Too flat...exactly my impression 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, D1051 said:

(Snip)

Peaks had then & they fell off. There rivited which are weak .So they corrode .

On a related, but different topic, I had trouble with rivets on the sidesteps of a Hilux for years, they corroded and then rattled loose, last time they were changed for bolts and lock nuts, hopefully problem solved. 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

I think so Ian, it kind of reminds me of the old Farish model. 

Hopefully it’s not too late to address what is a fundamental issue.I saw too many of them in the mid 1960’s ex works not to be concerned on this.Yes the devil might be in the detail but if the “face” is wrong the whole model is spoiled. Fingers crossed.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Hopefully it’s not too late to address what is a fundamental issue.I saw too many of them in the mid 1960’s ex works not to be concerned on this.Yes the devil might be in the detail but if the “face” is wrong the whole model is spoiled. Fingers crossed.

I agree Ian, I would say that the "face" is an absolute stop/go on the project, its got to be right, as no amount of side detail will compensate for it. I do appreciate that photographs can be misleading, but I would also expect that Heljan would have looked at that pic before publishing it to see if it was a true representation of what they currently have. 

Paul

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Too flat...exactly my impression 

That was my first thought  too on seeing it . I have no technical details or anything , just an impression .  

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, D1051 said:

I will buy a 25 as its a big leap from the old Bachmann model.

What about the new Bachmann 25/2? If Bachmann is on the ball, the tooling should allow for a 25/3 later, if it has to be a 25/3.

Heljan has reached the painted sample stage. I suspect that it’s rather too late for major re-tooling to correct the curve of the front.

Edited by No Decorum
Spelling.
  • Agree 2

24 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

What about the new Bachmann 25/2? If Bachmann is on the ball, the tooling should allow for a 25/3 later, it it has to be a 25/3.

Heljan has reached the painted sample stage. I suspect that it’s rather too late for major re-tooling to correct the curve of the front.

I would think that Bachmann would be going all out to ensure their new 25/2 was an improvement over the previous, at the very least.

Paul. 

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Legend said:

That was my first thought  too on seeing it . I have no technical details or anything , just an impression .  

and yet this earlier photo does seem to have a curved face...

hel25_7.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Gilbert said:

and yet this earlier photo does seem to have a curved face...

hel25_7.jpg

I think it’s potentially an angle of photography illusion. Having seen and photographed the earlier EP with the rivets, at some angles the face looks flat, at other angles it has a good capture of the curve.

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2019/08/06/transformation-tuesday-kings-cross-the-Heljan-25-and-86/

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 25901 said:

The grill while in service gets a build up of paint over the years so green locos had viewable through grill but the blue ones suffered with 30 something years of paint.

Ya reckon?

4345569672_1bbbf8b6eb_b.jpg25292 at Guide Bridge by Arnie Furniss, on Flickr

I don't suppose Heljan have altered the moulding in the area behind the mesh. (Heljan pics from earlier in the thread).

Heljan25-Facebook.jpg.cf6b5c53654a3860becbaa5d731485f2.jpg

Hejan25BenJones.jpeg.060193929801679f3c9168399e6c7850.jpeg

For those not happy with the mesh there a far finer  see through mesh etches available or one might even be able to use some of the plastic mesh that is used for some teabags? It looks like the way the body has been moulded there will be ample support for the most delicate of grills.

I also find it strange that Heljan never seems to make a very good attempt at printing the BR heraldic device. With their multi coloured representations of the BR crest, it's one area that Bachmann & Hornby seem to have perfected but Heljans efforts look as if they are printed using outdated technology.

Just saying lyke.

P

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

The break between the two greens looks slightly too low. You can see that the horizontal hinge for the access panel on the side has broken into the dark green.  It only does this when vertical hinges have been fitted. I thought in two-tone the cab gutter was green, but I am not 100% sure on that?

Roy

Yes I agree on both counts, the break between the greens should be higher up, tight under the boiler grill and cab side windows, and the guttering strip should be dark green.

• Agree 1

I wonder why both Blue Domino versions (25093 and 25252) have Been chosen? Both fairly early withdrawals (1982 and 1980 respectively). Hope examples that went on longer follow at a later date. If they turn out nicely I can see Ice cream van and Ethel 1 being purchased.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

The break between the two greens looks slightly too low. You can see that the horizontal hinge for the access panel on the side has broken into the dark green.

Hmmmmmmmm.

D7635.jpg.f1d25b8a7bbdb0eb768b8b53f05cb2c8.jpg

D7647-Heljan2.jpg.e2dec051ade577483076875a410b6126.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Porcy Mane said:

Hmmmmmmmm.

Yep, only a fraction out, but out nonetheless. As Stovepipe said, it should be right up to the grill and as your black&white picture shows, the hinge should be in the light green, not the dark green.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, 66738 said:

I wonder why both Blue Domino versions (25093 and 25252) have Been chosen? Both fairly early withdrawals (1982 and 1980 respectively). Hope examples that went on longer follow at a later date. If they turn out nicely I can see Ice cream van and Ethel 1 being purchased.

I can understand 25093 as there weren't many non-boilered Scottish locos to pick from, but 25252 does seem strange. There are plenty of LMR examples with domino headcodes that lasted into 1986. In fact, Heljan have picked the very first withdrawn out of around 50 possible locos.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Yep, only a fraction out, but out nonetheless.

I was looking more at the body join all around the nose between the kick plates. Maybe we're being to picky but I thinks it's good to pick up on all of these minor "discretion's".

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I was looking more at the body join all around the nose between the kick plates. Maybe we're being to picky but I thinks it's good to pick up on all of these minor "discretion's".

I thought they had done that rather well.

Roy

• RMweb Premium

And do they know that they've chosen the two ETHELs that had no bogie sandboxes? Not that it matters much as the latest sample suggests a surplus sandbox here and there will be the least of this model's worries.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Daddyman said:

And do they know that they've chosen the two ETHELs that had no bogie sandboxes? Not that it matters much as the latest sample suggests a surplus sandbox here and there will be the least of this model's worries.  

Good point, I missed that one.............