HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

8 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I would love to know what the "few minor improvements" will be.

Would be nice if they could get the 1960's BR emblem on the green version nearer to the standard of that currently being achieved by Bachmann & Hornby.

P

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

For some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, the blue ones have a look of caricature about them. Yes, there are plenty of extra detail parts, and maybe a bit of toning-down would help the overall feel, but am I convinced that these are a leap forward - not really. 

What is certainly impossible to deduce is how the cab corner and windscreen pillar geometry has turned out.  It's far less visible on the green locos, granted, but a three-quarter view on a blue and yellow machine would be worth a thousand words.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

(SNIP) The arrows of indecision on 25252 don't look quite right but I can't quite put my finger on why.

Roy

I think they are too long/stretched Roy, and the arrow sections too thick in relation to the horizontal lines, I agree, they don't look quite right.

Paul. 

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Like 1

It may be a photographic effect but comparing this model with a photo of a real 25 in a magazine here, there seems insufficient rake on the windscreen and the relationship between the cab front and headcode box just seems uncomfortable.

Davy.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Mad McCann said:

It may be a photographic effect but comparing this model with a photo of a real 25 in a magazine here, there seems insufficient rake on the windscreen and the relationship between the cab front and headcode box just seems uncomfortable.

Davy.

At EP stage it was raised that the cab area was not quite right, but we don’t know what is being done or not. For me the door and door window are all wrong. 

I have an ETHEL on preorder which I am considering cancelling and only buying once I have seen one in the flesh. 

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

At EP stage it was raised that the cab area was not quite right, but we don’t know what is being done or not. For me the door and door window are all wrong. 

I have an ETHEL on preorder which I am considering cancelling and only buying once I have seen one in the flesh. 

Roy

i agree on the door, it looks too “rounded” on the corners.

I think part of the issue of the double arrow is everything else around it, in pictures most of the paneling on the body sides is near flush, but the images seem to stand out more pro-nounced, I called this on the 45 too, however lets not forget these are close up pictures with bright lighting, which pronounce shadows, this maybe nothing, normal lighting conditions might not be so pronounced.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium

As well as issues with the cab door window and where the door joins the roof, the headcode box area looks too pronounced. The horns either side are too low and either make the cab roof shape look too steepled, or it just is.

But it may be better in the flesh.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Agree 2

It's hard to tell from the pictures, as they are not quite close-up enough, but the cab rain strip looks to be on the heavy side which doesn't help its looks. Yes, it does look like a 25/3, but for those obsessed who care about the finesse of the look may be disappointed. And that's a great shame.* Big question, how much better than the Bachmann version will it be, and how will actual (not RRP) compare? Sales will be hard to tell, but if It's stuck in the Hatton's 'Best Sellers' list, then it's probably bombed (I still can't believe that for months the ICI 'Janus' has been in the top 10 best sellers. Either they must have hundreds of , being doing hardly any overall business, it's a 'marketing' thing, or their algorithm is broken; who can say!) Sorry, strayed OT there:offtopic:

* At least the Heljan 45 is looking good so far...

Edited by Mel_H
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 16/09/2020 at 15:41, 'CHARD said:

For some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, the blue ones have a look of caricature about them. Yes, there are plenty of extra detail parts, and maybe a bit of toning-down would help the overall feel, but am I convinced that these are a leap forward - not really. 

What is certainly impossible to deduce is how the cab corner and windscreen pillar geometry has turned out.  It's far less visible on the green locos, granted, but a three-quarter view on a blue and yellow machine would be worth a thousand words.

D1051, I see you've groaned, perhaps you can enlighten us as to why.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, drgj said:

I was thinking how good the blue ones look!  

Dave

I've ordered two (25093 + 25252).

Think I am going to like them . They will be stabled and run alongside Bachmann Blue ones so should have a nice little fleet of them. I know some folks are a little critical of both but I am actually happy with the Bachmann ones and have a good feeling about the forthcoming Heljan ones too. Maybe neither are perfect but capture the essence for me.

Could do to get sound fitted to at least one to add atmosphere and bring back happy memories. 

I only ever saw one in Scarborough though they were a favourite of mine along with 20's & 40's!

They certainly have a distinctive sound. When I was a boy I used to see the 25/3s  clattering through Kenton on the west coast mainline.  Then when we went on Holiday to my grand parents in North Wales I would see them there, too! Later when I travelled about on the railways they seemed to be everywhere.

I saw the side on picture of  Heljan 25 093 on the Rails site and it does look really good to me.

I had a Bachmann D7667 which I liked but I had also done a Hornby conversion so kept that one after spending so long on it!  Here are the two together. Have posted this pic before. I had to build up the area between the windscreen pillar and side window to get the wrap around yellow panel which is non existent on the original Hornby model that I used.

Dave

post-11423-0-93236500-1421944120_thumb.jpg

Edited by drgj
  • Like 5

Well I'm sold on the underframe alone, I notice Heljan haven't shown pictures of the non celebrity two tone green FYE version. I'm hoping it has the modified exhaust, still not the end of the world I'll just use Tamworth Castle as a starting point. Infact this could could get expensive as I'm already on 3 plus a couple of pre TOPS Peaks and class 47's and that's just Heljan! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Surprised nobody's done this already: with my rudimentary skills I thought this pic might help to answer some of the cab questions. The model seems to compare much better than I thought (first look for me was "too flat" also), but it looks like the point between the two angles is a little too rounded perhaps?

DCP_0400.JPG.53c059b56bd1a752b60634632c430ff5a.jpg.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, but I suspect the bigger issue is the one that least attention is being paid to: the cab front windows - more specifically the frames. It's there, I suspect, where a real H@#jan has been made of this model.... 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2020 at 20:42, 25901 said:

The gaps on the 5 piece skirt at too big, the two headboard brackets lack detail and the front hand rail looks too straight. To be honest the whole front end looks too flat.

To be fair, as a starting point, you werent exactly working with an ex-works example to compare it too ;-)

But i admit I can’t see vertical gaps in the front skirts above, even if theres gaps everywhere else :-) 

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Vince, Terry and Alan. Headboard brackets are there but under another cab front that BR had grafted on the crushed in front. You can just make out the outline of the panel. The blue star multi working not yet fully reinstalled.

And yes, the wiper did fall off as well as the BIS box covers. The horn grill is still missing today and is left off for a reason that only 25 drivers will know lol