HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

9 minutes ago, peak experience said:

The Bachman roof curve over the face is too shallow putting out the headcode box and the rake of cab is wrong. The Heljan model has a look of the original 'n' gauge Farish in the face. The Hornby model has the most convincing look of a class 25 in those areas. I didn't mention the chassis but my opinion is that the Heljan chassis is the best of the bunch by a country mile. The other two efforts don't resemble a class 25 in the slightest. 

Edited by peak experience
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, peak experience said:

I think this hyperbole is what upsets the Mods “ don’t resemble a class 25 in the slightest “,

I mean , come on .

For me the obvious Bachmann issue was the fictional solebar, the proof of the pudding will be a “ rat off “ between the Danes and Barwell. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, peak experience said:

How odd that you feel the Bachmann headcode box is incorrect, yet ignore the completely fictitious step in the Hornby roof.

301FA5C4-C190-4C52-8307-BA4C1B4361BD.jpeg.4798dc261d35f2fc8e0c5dbaab3911f4.jpeg

Heres the loco it’s supposed to be https://www.derbysulzers.com/25246.html

These are the types of comments I genuinely don’t understand. It’s clear there’s a significant discrepancy on the Hornby cab roof but it’s completely ignored.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, PMP said:

These are the types of comments I genuinely don’t understand. It’s clear there’s a significant discrepancy on the Hornby cab roof but it’s completely ignored.

Perhaps in assessing if something captures the key characteristics, most people don't focus on a tiny part of the roof (or the cab doors)?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hal Nail said:

Perhaps in assessing if something captures the key characteristics, most people don't focus on a tiny part of the roof (or the cab doors)?

I certainly fall into that category, hence I think the EP’s of the 25 look like a 25, and both EP’s of the respective peaks from Bach/HJ looked like a peak. There’s a few models steam and D&E that don’t capture the prototype for me personally, but I could recognise easily enough the Bachmann Mk1 Cl37 was a 37..

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Hello Mr Hyperbole.

THIS doesn't resemble a class 25 in the slightest.

Kentford_-_60103_climbing_towards_Minehe

The air pipes seem ok but not sure about the vac bag but other wise a good looking type two lol

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Hello Mr Hyperbole.

THIS doesn't resemble a class 25 in the slightest

:lol:

2 hours ago, PMP said:

B9F196E9-44B0-448A-8814-3777FD0592A0.jpeg.d1530f9892a6c526228c09f2d0b4d656.jpeg
There’s

9D2917B4-7646-4554-B19C-603D059937AF.jpeg.43e413c418005903ac79c3ab1805a449.jpeg

Ah the old Hornby one, I had that and still have fond memories. I can’t see the devastating issues myself so Ethel will be joining the fleet. Mind you as noted I can’t get upset by the early 37’s either :) 

I’m not sure if the ‘negative waves’ are working ;) 

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

34 minutes ago, 25901 said:

Must that AY Mod must be having a good day as there’s no sign of a dummy being spat out, well done AY

He has been sectioned after reading the latest updates on here.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

On 05/02/2021 at 23:36, AY Mod said:

I don't care if Monday's blue
Tuesday's grey and Wednesday too
Thursday, I don't care about you
It's Friday, I'm in love

1.jpg

25102_ManVic_3-3-76

Hi Andy, Thanks for posting up the pic. I think the model looks pretty dam good. Certainly better than my old Bachmann models.

One question though. All the pics of the model I have seen have the side steps showing, your model has them plated over. Are there blanking plates  in a detail pack that can be added if needed?

Many thanks Peter.

Edited by P.C.M
spelling
  • Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, P.C.M said:

All the pics of the model I have seen have the side steps showing, your model has them plated over. Are there blanking plates  in a detail pack that can be added if needed?

Well spotted Peter; out of the box the side steps are left open but the detail pack includes painted (to match livery, in this case two light green ones and four dark green) step covers which I have put onto one side for illustration purposes (and to stop rabid "it should have plates over the steps at that time" comments. The pack also includes covers for the smaller grille (a note for those who say the strengthening struts behind the grilles can't be seen - they can, it just depends on the angle and lighting like the real thing) plus snowploughs etc. The step covers are an easy fit with a dab of superglue onto the step bar and it means it gives the modeller the flexibility to use them or not dependent on the livery/time. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Well spotted Peter; out of the box the side steps are left open but the detail pack includes painted (to match livery, in this case two light green ones and four dark green) step covers which I have put onto one side for illustration purposes (and to stop rabid "it should have plates over the steps at that time" comments. The pack also includes covers for the smaller grille cover (a note for those who say the strengthening struts behind the grilles can't be seen - they can, it just depends on the angle and lighting like the real thing) plus snowploughs etc. The step covers are an easy fit with a dab of superglue onto the step bar and it means it gives the modeller the flexibility to use them or not dependent on the livery/time. 

Now you're just being ridiculous, for some people what's the point of spouting off if you've got all the facts at your disposal, god forbid anyone should wait until they've got one in their hands and make a decision based on that!

Shame about the roof warning plates though!!!!

Mike.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

Not a 25 expert at all, but was this a class wide thing?(drilled wheels)  Given we’ve seen the likes of spoked/drilled wheels on many other RTR diesels 22,24,41 etc. Would be a shame if they aren’t there. 

I dont think its spoked wheels being discussed, is it not a number of holes on the lower horizontal metal part of the bogie between the wheels. I presume it was a weight-saving measure but 'm not expert enough to know if there was variations in the class and if there was whether different bogies could migrate between different class members

e.g. here see the 6 holes on the bogie nearest the camera

25 039

25 300 & 25 278 March Hundred Road

Edited by GordonC
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, GordonC said:

I dont think its spoked wheels being discussed, is it not a number of holes on the lower horizontal metal part of the bogie between the wheels. I presume it was a weight-saving measure but 'm not expert enough to know if there was variations in the class and if there was whether different bogies could migrate between different class members

e.g. here see the 6 holes on the bogie nearest the camera

25 300 & 25 278 March Hundred Road

There is the question of the holes in the equalising beam, as seen in both photos - but in the photo I've kept above, I think you can also just make out holes in the nearest-to-camera wheel pan itself.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Class 158 productions said:

Not a 25 expert at all, but was this a class wide thing?(drilled wheels)  Given we’ve seen the likes of spoked/drilled wheels on many other RTR diesels 22,24,41 etc. Would be a shame if they aren’t there. 

No excuse now to do them yourself :biggrin_mini2:

3160CAB8-D263-4703-A6D8-4D2D2C8C5BAA.jpeg.7e4ff993ee784a479969685efe070231.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Nice touch to make the step cover plates an add on, gives us the option to leave the odd one off. I can see myself using these bits on a Bachmann class 24 to class 25/0(green FYE) conversion as well. Now what would be really useful are spare exhaust port mouldings (yes I know Brassmaster do an etch set with circular port) . For me, as I said some time ago, it's the underframe that makes it. 

Edited by w124bob

On 08/02/2021 at 15:51, 'CHARD said:

There is the question of the holes in the equalising beam, as seen in both photos - but in the photo I've kept above, I think you can also just make out holes in the nearest-to-camera wheel pan itself.

My spare has six lol

Dcp_0358.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

On 08/02/2021 at 22:57, AY Mod said:

Well spotted Peter; out of the box the side steps are left open but the detail pack includes painted (to match livery, in this case two light green ones and four dark green) step covers which I have put onto one side for illustration purposes (and to stop rabid "it should have plates over the steps at that time" comments. The pack also includes covers for the smaller grille (a note for those who say the strengthening struts behind the grilles can't be seen - they can, it just depends on the angle and lighting like the real thing) plus snowploughs etc. The step covers are an easy fit with a dab of superglue onto the step bar and it means it gives the modeller the flexibility to use them or not dependent on the livery/time. 

Thanks Andy, Some class 25s that lasted until 1987 had  one or two steps showing. Good to hear the side grilles look ok I am quite looking forwards to these models.

Cheers Peter.