HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 25901 said:

My spare has six lol

Dcp_0358.jpg

Not sure if we are talking holes in wheel or in the bogie frame, or both!

Nonetheless, I am yet to find any pictures of a 25 with anything other than six holes in the bogies frame. I note that the Heljan O gauge 25 has six holes as well, as do the Bachmann and Hornby OO Class 25s. Very odd to only have four.

Roy

2 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Not sure if we are talking holes in wheel or in the bogie frame, or both!

Nonetheless, I am yet to find any pictures of a 25 with anything other than six holes in the bogies frame. I note that the Heljan O gauge 25 has six holes as well, as do the Bachmann and Hornby OO Class 25s. Very odd to only have four.

Roy

Looking at the Rails website from what I can see all the green models have 4 the blue ones have 6

13 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Just looked at Derby Sulzer's and D5151 (25001) seems to have had six holes from new: D5151

Roy

D5000 and D5233 on the same site, as built photographs show the six hole equalizing beam.

Edited by 'CHARD
extra data and gen
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

So the ETHEL EP looks to have 6 holes, but 25102 only four. Heljan have obviously gone to the effort to tool two bogies, so there must be some rationale behind it, I just don't know what that is.

Roy

Checking the pictures on the TMC website, is it as straightforward as the flash hasn't been cleared from the bogie frame side pieces?  Oddly, one side of the loco has six hole beams.

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

Checking the pictures on the TMC website, is it as straightforward as the flash hasn't been cleared from the bogie frame side pieces?  Oddly, one side of the loco has six hole beams.

It could be, but Andy Y's photo of 25102 show both bogies on that side to have four holes and no hint of the extra two at all.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 'CHARD said:

How queer.

Yep - all the photos on Heljan's Facebook page have six holes. As I said, it looks as though they have tooled two options, I just can't understand why. Hopefully production models turn up correct for the chosen prototype - which looks to be six in all cases that I have studied.

Roy

How different Heljan threads are compared with accurascale ones!  If it were accurascale making these models there would have been a prompt reply either acknowledging the error and promising to fix it, or confirmation that the production model would be correct and that the sample was incomplete.  Heljan could learn a lot from those guys, in more ways than one. 

• Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

How different Heljan threads are compared with accurascale ones!  If it were accurascale making these models there would have been a prompt reply either acknowledging the error and promising to fix it, or confirmation that the production model would be correct and that the sample was incomplete.  Heljan could learn a lot from those guys, in more ways than one. 

Whilst I agree with you to an extent, I think it is also fair to point out that Accurascale, Cavalex, Revolution etc. are a very welcome break from the norm, and that although not at the level of those just mentioned, Ben's involvement with RMWeb has been somewhat more common than for some other manufacturers.

Roy 

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Quite. 

I can understand the mods' frustration with the "hyperbole" on here, but it would be nice if they could see our frustration with Heljan's hyperbole: on p.23 they describe the model as "superb". I'm pretty sure they've also used the word "accurate", which also turns out to have been hyperbole... 

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I was not aware we were grumbling about holes, rather I am intrigued as to why there seems to be two tooling options.

I am beginning to think therapy is needed for my cab door aversion as I like a lot of the model, and I believe a 25093 may be on the cards.

Roy

• Friendly/supportive 1

55 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I was not aware we were grumbling about holes, rather I am intrigued as to why there seems to be two tooling options.

I am beginning to think therapy is needed for my cab door aversion as I like a lot of the model, and I believe a 25093 may be on the cards.

Roy

I think i might be grumbling about the holes.  I know the doors are wrong, but for some reason they dont bother me, but the missing bogie frame holes just bug me! All the images of the model appear to have 4 rather than 6 holes. And all the images ive seen of the real thing have 6.   What i find especially annoying is the o gauge version is correct, so how did this get missed?

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

I think i might be grumbling about the holes.  I know the doors are wrong, but for some reason they dont bother me, but the missing bogie frame holes just bug me! All the images of the model appear to have 4 rather than 6 holes. And all the images ive seen of the real thing have 6.   What i find especially annoying is the o gauge version is correct, so how did this get missed?

Most images I have seen of the Heljan 25 have 6 holes - all of them on their Facebook page and those shown on Rails pages. Just the odd one seems to have 4.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

. And all the images ive seen of the real thing have 6.   What i find especially annoying is the o gauge version is correct, so how did this get missed?

The EP I’ve handled 06/08/19 has six holes both sides of the bogie.

02207B81-DF2B-438D-BB2A-7B90930BD216.jpeg.6c072063be28750ef5d7973f74e05821.jpeg

I can’t imagine that HJ uk would have issued an instruction to the factory after the EP above, take two holes out of the equaliser bar.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I think it’s likely to be a trick of the light.

a look at the model on TMC website also shows the other side. And it looks like one bogie has four, the other, six. One of my photos of 25093 looks like four, the same model , same side by Lees Locos shows six. It could be the TMC model has a bogie with mould ‘flash’ in the holes, but based on my pic vs Lees, I’d go for ‘trick of the light’

• Informative/Useful 1