HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

In answer to your question it's not for people to bang on relentlessly on minor points; people will either agree with you or disagree but to keep repeating yourself just annoys people (me included). Hopefully that's clear enough for you.

To amplify somewhat on Andy's comment.  There are other enthusiast sites out there where mention of RMWeb will result in lots of comments similar to "that's where they do nothing but complain", or "everything is so negative".  It is a shame that a few here think they have a right to moan on and on, as it DOES damage the reputation of what is a fantastic resource.  This is one of the few sites I visit every day.  I'm not saying that feedback doesn't have its place, of course it does.  It's more a case of self moderation seems to be lacking from a minority!

Apologies for the negative post ;)

• Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

59 minutes ago, 55020 said:

To amplify somewhat on Andy's comment.  There are other enthusiast sites out there where mention of RMWeb will result in lots of comments similar to "that's where they do nothing but complain", or "everything is so negative".  It is a shame that a few here think they have a right to moan on and on, as it DOES damage the reputation of what is a fantastic resource.  This is one of the few sites I visit every day.  I'm not saying that feedback doesn't have its place, of course it does.  It's more a case of self moderation seems to be lacking from a minority!

Good post. RMWeb is a benchmark site. Maybe filter this out to a new manufacturing model unprototypical moaning thread to use as a disclaimer for RMWeb damage limitation?

Suitably moderated of course. 

Well I've just upped my pre order to 5, pretty much covering all the FYE era upto about 1982. Having seen those close ups of the TMC exclusive (there's a picture of 102 in a Bradford Barton) I can't now live with the Bachy underframe! 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

It went elsewhere ;)

Roy

I ordered a sense of humour when it was first announced in 2012.

indeed I thought Blue was mildly entertaining, as was the See-red liveried version.

unfortunately since then the price doubled, the humour tone was too pale and after the EP it was changed to sarcasm, so I canceled and bought a Misery instead.. its plain grey, moves slow, costs nowt and always discounted, nothing to fall off or be disappointed about. It comes in a half filled box with cracked sellophane...

ive got lots of Misery around me now.

:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 8

17 hours ago, 55020 said:

Thats the problem with written word, it’s hard to judge the real feelings behind it . As I type this am I sad, happy, angry - there’s no way to tell ( actually I’m ecstatic as it’s nearly lunchtime ).

Again , “ moaning “ is subjective . A lot of the moaning on here is useful criticism that enables me to make decisions . I see both sides of an argument and can  form a conclusion - that’s vital to me. There has been a rise in vitriol online in general - I blame the frustrations of lockdowns/ furlough / redundancy - people like me have more time to write on forums - more chance to disagree etc.

if I want a dose of  sugar  I can go on various YouTube pages and watch someone unbox their latest model and run it in circles on the carpet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Thats the problem with written word, it’s hard to judge the real feelings behind it . As I type this am I sad, happy, angry - there’s no way to tell ( actually I’m ecstatic as it’s nearly lunchtime ).

Rob, you've summed up contemporary society in two sentences.  RESPECT!

When the ETHELs were working, did their engines idle at the same speed as a normal Class 25 or did they idle faster to continuously generate ETH power? I'm thinking of for DCC sound whether it would be a 'normal' Class 25 chip or something specific would be more accurate

22 minutes ago, GordonC said:

When the ETHELs were working, did their engines idle at the same speed as a normal Class 25 or did they idle faster to continuously generate ETH power?

Can't answer your question but there is film of D7536 idling at Temple Mills Hump here.

Start at about 10:10.

6 hours ago, GordonC said:

When the ETHELs were working, did their engines idle at the same speed as a normal Class 25 or did they idle faster to continuously generate ETH power? I'm thinking of for DCC sound whether it would be a 'normal' Class 25 chip or something specific would be more accurate

18 hours ago, GordonC said:

The Legomanbiffo 25 sound file has an 'ETHEL' mode

Edited by sulzer71
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/02/2021 at 13:59, GordonC said:

Engine only idle was 325 rpm, with heat on engine speed increased to 640rpm. Full engine speed on a normal 25 was 750 rpm, so a pretty noticeable increase for an ETHEL on heat.....

• Informative/Useful 4

16 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Engine only idle was 325 rpm, with heat on engine speed increased to 640rpm. Full engine speed on a normal 25 was 750 rpm, so a pretty noticeable increase for an ETHEL on heat.....

A remarkably steady engine then, I suspect these days a similar loco engine would be turning at twice that speed, admittedly a lot of mass spinning around in a 6LDA. That being said, most of my stationary engines are rated in the 5-600 rpm range too. 

Paul. 

On 21/02/2021 at 15:10, The Ghost of IKB said:

No mention of the 86?

Jenny asked for the interview to be primarily about the Class 25, so that's what we did. AL6s are on their way though - more info on arrival dates as soon as they are confirmed. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Rails have posted information from Heljan saying that the 25s are being shipped from Denmark to UK retailers this week. Interestingly it's only the locos, the ETHELs are expected in "a few weeks".

PJ10

4 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

D7647 for us... to become 7600, one of the last GSYP survivors. Looking at photos all the green Heljan models have the early silencer arrangement which we will need to change . 

For you Phil may 1971 Reddish

479B77B0-551F-44AD-8154-D3EF311680DE.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1