HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

Well , I'm now wondering how easy it will be to change the headcode display on these , I have plans to model 25092/093 but for my modelling period they both need 4 character headcodes so I thought the simplest solution would be buy 2 x 25252 and renumber , however this morning Heljan have confirmed that the listing for 252 is incorrect and actually being produced with dominoes! The only options that leaves me with is either buy a 25093 and a 25252 and attempt to change the h/c display or possibly buy 2 x D7667 to renumber , provided there's not massive detail differences between that and 092/093 :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

Well , I'm now wondering how easy it will be to change the headcode display on these , I have plans to model 25092/093 but for my modelling period they both need 4 character headcodes so I thought the simplest solution would be buy 2 x 25252 and renumber , however this morning Heljan have confirmed that the listing for 252 is incorrect and actually being produced with dominoes! The only options that leaves me with is either buy a 25093 and a 25252 and attempt to change the h/c display or possibly buy 2 x D7667 to renumber , provided there's not massive detail differences between that and 092/093 :rolleyes:

Nope , exhaust silencer arrangement incorrect for 092/093 for a start!!

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, BRIAN T said:

For you Phil may 1971 Reddish

479B77B0-551F-44AD-8154-D3EF311680DE.jpeg

Cheers Brian that was going to be our crib photo. Feel the atmosphere.... cracking! 

PS what’s an early Derby lightweight Dmu doing there? All withdrawn surely....

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Phil Bullock said:

Cheers Brian that was going to be our crib photo. Feel the atmosphere.... cracking! 

PS what’s an early Derby lightweight Dmu doing there? All withdrawn surely....

I was wondering the same thing, was it Battery Unit Gemini by any chance ?

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, BRIAN T said:

Yes your right it was,my memory is failing me.

I had a cab ride or two in Gemini a few decades back, I was part of the narration on a Railscene cab ride video on it. We had to talk a lot as the unit made no noise of its own... would have been a silent movie otherwise.

A DCC chip for it would be easy. :rolleyes:

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 2

19 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I had a cab ride or two in Gemini a few decades back, I was part of the narration on a Railscene cab ride video on it. We had to talk a lot as the unit made no noise of its own... would have been a silent movie otherwise.

Remember that unit well, was always on charge at a time when putting any other loco’s on charge was a no no.

Off now to continue the 25/3 debate on the Sutton thread lol

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 25901 said:

Remember that unit well, was always on charge at a time when putting any other loco’s on charge was a no no.

Off now to continue the 25/3 debate on the Sutton thread lol

Didnt it take 2 days to charge, and got you 80 miles out of it ?

1 minute ago, adb968008 said:

Didnt it take 2 days to charge, and got you 80 miles out of it ?

Yup, cheaper than the price tag of £30k for a new set at the time which was the cost of a descent 25/3

On 11/02/2021 at 11:47, rob D2 said:

That’s fair enough, but in the case of HJ they do appear to have history that I’ve read on other threads  of making mistakes that weren’t corrected , and they certainly don’t engage in here like accurascale seem to find the time to do .

Ben is on record, after the vitriolic comments on the Cl45 thread that Heljan would consider how they communicated in future. To be fair to Heljan and Accurascale, their general communication to customers is in the top league (Accurascale being the best), while Hornby does well too. As for the sound of silence from Bachmann and Dapol....  Sorry OT :offtopic:

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Mel_H said:

Ben is on record, after the vitriolic comments on the Cl45 thread that Heljan would consider how they communicated in future. To be fair to Heljan and Accurascale, their general communication to customers is in the top league (Accurascale being the best), while Hornby does well too. As for the sound of silence from Bachmann and Dapol....  Sorry OT :offtopic:

That sounds like it must have been a challenge for Ben, pity its taken so long as they could have avoided having a number of pups over the years.

15 minutes ago, brenn said:

O No SLW had just announced their 25/2 25/3 and Ethel........well that blown it for me I’ll wait and see that first.......if it as good as my sound SLW 24 I’ll not be getting a Heljan  25 

B

Is there anything more on this, besides a cryptic facebook posting about BR pest control???

6 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

Is there anything more on this, besides a cryptic facebook posting about BR pest control???

Yes there’s a email sent directly from SLW

25324 domino a few greens and Ethel 2 pictures of complete locos which look excellent.

The web site launch after redevelopment is 1/3/21

B

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Its Reddish..

it was unusual to see a 76 on its wheels, I seem to remember walking round there seeing them sitting on grass.

I remember that.

Was luck enough to go around Reddish just after the 76's had been withdrawn, think it was October 1981.

A few very old Kodak 126 instamatic photos somewhere of some on the grass and also recollections of 40131 being there and 40055 going off shed, plus a Class 25 possibly 25294.

I was not even in my teens and my Pal and I travelled across from Seamer with a neighbour who was heading for the Manchester Model Exhibition.

Also recall what seemed like the rest of the 76's parked up at Guide Bridge!

• Like 1