HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

I've looked closely at the Olivias pictures, many do certainly appear to have badly fitting glazing . Hopefully as long as the glue is not industrial strength that can be rectified. The tail light askew issue, I noticed in one picture what looked like excess paint/flash partially covering  the lens again not difficult to fix and this would give the impression of a squint. I had noticed the green FYE comes with the circular exhaust, TMC 25102 has the later letter box over the engine room. Again not a deal breaker for me as I have found several pre TOPS FYE with the original style and even a few blue examples. 25252 is on it's way and 5 others are awaiting personal collection.

Edited by w124bob
spelling
  • Agree 2

Hi, I have found a photo of D7647 on a freight service in 1968 and the boiler grill on the body side has been plated  over. When the model is released will a plate be available to reflect this as it may have been carried from new. Thanks Fred 

5 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi, I have found a photo of D7647 on a freight service in 1968 and the boiler grill on the body side has been plated  over. When the model is released will a plate be available to reflect this as it may have been carried from new. Thanks Fred 

Try reading back a few posts. As has been said many times before, the blanking plates are in the accessory bag.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

OK here goes. I have a 102 in 1977 green here and the general report is very good indeed. Some lovely finesse about the bogies/roof and fan grille etc etc. Of the 'reported issues' I have had to slightly ream out one hole in the balance beam on bogie nothing that a minute's work won't sort. Running quality is first class and hooray there is plenty of room for some serious sound installation. Certainly if the fancy took you 2 speakers of the 40x20x10 scale would fit easily. The jury will remain out until SLW loco appears (in late 2021?) but this is a huge step forward from what we had before and looks right. Drivers now fitted, speakers all at the ready and just waiting on sound chip delivery. Thanks Ben and Heljan and on this evidence I would say the 86, Peak and Duff would make a lot of you happy.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Both Hattons and Rails have images on their respective websites now. Rails images I always find particularly good and revealing.Hattons include both weathered examples which appear to exhibit none of the extremes seen on Olivia’s examples but I’m not to keen on their washed out presentation in any case.Rails have the weathered examples showing as on order. Now easier to make better informed judgements.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Both Hattons and Rails have images on their respective websites now. Rails images I always find particularly good and revealing.Hattons include both weathered examples which appear to exhibit none of the extremes seen on Olivia’s examples but I’m not to keen on their washed out presentation in any case.Rails have the weathered examples showing as on order. Now easier to make better informed judgements.

Agreed that they do look better, and the headcodes look put together properly and  the green weathered one is more acceptable. The blue weathered one still looks like its been driven across a muddy field, still poor on the cabs imo.

Glazing still looks recessed, but marker lights look less boggle eyed.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/384101/heljan_2536_class_25_3_25155_in_br_blue_with_single_central_double_arrows_and_headcode_blind/stockdetail.aspx

Better than the one on olivias site though, thats for sure.

The hattons photos are, i think slightly over exposed, which makes them look washed out, it also reduces the contrast between the brown weathering and the yellow front. Lessen the  exposure by a stop and i think the weathering would stand out more.

Edited by The Ghost of IKB

I realise weathering is very subjective, but I just dont think I've seen any factory applied weathering from Heljan that looks remotely good. We've had the lazy jet-wash of single-tone brown over the bottom centimetre or two of the bodyside, there is marginally more effort applied here. At least Heljan dont charge extra for the weathering unlike Bachmann, but I'd much rather they didn't bother weathering until they can come up with something better than this

9 hours ago, GordonC said:

I realise weathering is very subjective, but I just dont think I've seen any factory applied weathering from Heljan that looks remotely good. We've had the lazy jet-wash of single-tone brown over the bottom centimetre or two of the bodyside, there is marginally more effort applied here. At least Heljan dont charge extra for the weathering unlike Bachmann, but I'd much rather they didn't bother weathering until they can come up with something better than this

Factory applied weathering is rarely any good from any manufacturer. I try to steer clear of weathered locos and carriages. Bachmann's weathered units and Mark 1s are terrible so Heljan are not alone in this respect. I did not order any weathered 25s.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Personally, my go to website now for photos is Kernow MRC. In most cases, includes these 25s, Kernow includes a photo of the model on one of its layouts (I think in the Guildford shop) taken by Chris Nevard. Although there is no guarantee the lighting is exactly the same, you can look at the photos of other models and compare the scenic background. This doesn't change so you can use that to help compare colours based on the level of lighting. You can't make such a comparison with either Hattons or Rails because they use a white background that doesn't change with the amount of light.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

I have a couple of questions, relating to how it's assembled , do they i have detachable buffer beams 26/27 style and similar with the side frames. Just makes weathering and attaching the buffer beam pipe detail easier. 

43 minutes ago, Richard Croft said:

Mine came today, I'm very pleased with it. Its particularly good for sound fitting with plenty of space at each end.

Richard

Looks and sounds great Richard and an easy looking sound installation. Thank you for your video which is very informative.

I have ordered blue 25093. I like Heljan locos as I find they have a good blend of detail and robustness. 

John

• Like 3

To give some balance to my earlier post, where I criticised the fit of the cab windows, I have to say the rest of the model, or should I say the overall model, is very good. After chewing my knuckles over the glazing, and going into denial, I needed a Type 2 junkie fix, so I bit my tongue, and ordered a Heljan 2532 GFY version, putting my wad where my gob is. 

Now that I can see it in the flesh, it is a very impressive creation, a much better shape than the various Bachmann issues (the Bachmann shape looks like the shape in the IA loco drawing book by R.S.Carter), it runs well, lights and working headcodes look good, and are correctly fitted, the livery is well executed, and there are bags containing accessory goodies, clearly a lot of thought has gone into this product, BUT I still say the cab glazing could have been a tad flusher (we know the front windows had inset rims), and the top corners at one end of mine, weren't fully in position (as spotted in some photos). Maybe i'm just an old fussy-drawers, i'll have a go at re-fitting my windscreens, on a wet afternoon, maybe it needs splitting up, like on earlier Heljan models, like the Class 33? I haven't weighed it exactly, but it's slighter lighter than the Bachmann, perhaps managing 11 coaches for the Bachmann's nominal 12, but no big deal, just double-head! The studio images suggest a very light grey roof on the GFY, but the colour has been bleached by the fierce lighting, in the flesh the roof is a milder medium-grey.

I can answer W124's recent question, yes the buffer beam unit is attached with two screws, it's a very neat arrangement.

It goes without saying, that models submitted for review are probably cherry-picked, rather than the first that comes to hand, so there maybe others around, with less than perfectly fitted windows? If you want me to give an overall personal score for this model, i'd say 95/100, five points off for the not totally flush glazing, but i'm happy to buy more Heljans now. I won't need to rely totally on the forthcoming SLW late 25, I will have a mix of Heljan and SLW, after all, these are cheaper!

Cheers, Brian.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard Croft said:

Mine came today, I'm very pleased with it. Its particularly good for sound fitting with plenty of space at each end.

Richard

Richard, this is my current stock of your products! What combo would you recommend for the 25?

F716F5CF-C6F2-4C5B-A428-6393426AA7A1.jpeg

I took delivery of my six today. I think they look very good. However, there was slight damage to some of them. Chipped paint on one or two lamp brackets. Very strangely a missing overhead warning flash - possibly not printed on to begin with - there was a blank bit on the end rather than just yellow paint where it should have been. EDIT: the missing warning flash is correct for the loco modelled. One bogie step fallen off. All of these are easily dealt with and no need to return the models.

Three of the six had headcodes that were pushed in or not straight at one or both ends, in one case this was pretty extreme. I fixed it easily so again no need to return the model. I haven't done the others yet but it should not be a problem. I wonder if this issue is caused by the packaging, eg if it's closed up without the model being centred in the plastic tray.

i also wonder how easy it will be to change the headcodes as 1O00 on D7667 was only set in its boxes for the official photos and is not typical of headcodes carried.

All six ran smoothly on my test track although one was a bit noisier than the others. Testing them on the layout will have to wait until the weekend.

I'm not sure that D7647 should have air brake pipes in GSYP livery. Not sure about the other pre-TOPS ones - i shall have to check - some were built with air brakes.

Doubtless the SLW one will have the edge in various respects but will also be more expensive. I suspect I shall end up with a mixed fleet. 

Edited by robertcwp
Correction.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, robertcwp said:

I took delivery of my six today. I think they look very good. However, there was slight damage to some of them. Chipped paint on one or two lamp brackets. Very strangely a missing overhead warning flash - possibly not printed on to begin with - there was a blank bit on the end rather than just yellow paint where it should have been. One bogie step fallen off. All of these are easily dealt with and no need to return the models.

Three of the six had headcodes that were pushed in or not straight at one or both ends, in one case this was pretty extreme. I fixed it easily so again no need to return the model. I haven't done the others yet but it should not be a problem. I wonder if this issue is caused by the packaging, eg if it's closed up without the model being centred in the plastic tray.

i also wonder how easy it will be to change the headcodes as 1O00 on D7667 was only set in its boxes for the official photos and is not typical of headcodes carried.

All six ran smoothly on my test track although one was a bit noisier than the others. Testing them on the layout will have to wait until the weekend.

I'm not sure that D7647 should have air brake pipes in GSYP livery. Not sure about the other pre-TOPS ones - i shall have to check - some were built with air brakes.

Doubtless the SLW one will have the edge in various respects but will also be more expensive. I suspect I shall end up with a mixed fleet. 

At last, a sensible unbiased and practical post on these 25s! We have people who claim that they would be sending these back for not even looking like class 25s, so god knows how they would cope with the minor issues you encountered! Good man for not turning these in to another “the world is ending” type post.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

13 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

At last, a sensible unbiased and practical post on these 25s! We have people who claim that they would be sending these back for not even looking like class 25s, so god knows how they would cope with the minor issues you encountered! Good man for not turning these in to another “the world is ending” type post.

I don't know of anyone on this thread sending a Heljan 25 back yet, they've only been out a week or less? We've all been busy making-do and mending, whilst calmly discussing the various pros and cons, and reserving our right to change our minds. Would you buy a new car with a badly fitted windscreen? (It's okay Mr. New Car Dealer, i'll refit the windscreen myself, when I get home :mellow: )

Cheers, Brian.  

P.S. Can we buy new cars weathered yet?

• Agree 1