HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Well I may have missed the boat with the first batch. With the announcement of the SLW model, and subsequent order from me, the Heljan model went onto the "reserve" list. However thanks to posts from fellow Rmwebbers I'm suitably impressed with the appearance of the Heljan model to place an order. However  most emporia that I use are now out of stock, so now on back order.

Bristol had almost daily appearances from LMR 25s and pairs of the late body style working the Nottingham-Paigntons on a summer Saturday were very memorable, as were double headed 25s on rakes of VVVs spluttering up the incline from Avonmouth.

neil 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jenny Emily said:

I pulled the little tank out with a pair of needle nose pliers. It looks like it is just glued in place. 

Thanks for that.  Now tanks removed with a lot of twisting from the long nose pliers.   The tanks are glued into the chassis by a small pip of plastic which broke off.    

I’m hoping to get away with trimming only the brake pipes and leaving the reservoir pipes.  The couplings I’m planning to glue folded  onto the coupling hook,   They have a habit of getting stuck on the centre lamp iron after inverting the loco, both finely  modelled.

Thanks again 

Jeff 

Having looked at the photos on here, I couldn’t resist a rat. Was originally planning on 155 but the weathering job put me off, went for 252 and will probably change it to a Cornish one at a later date. It’s an impressively detailed model and runs smoothly and reliably. The head codes were loose in the box, as was a steam heat pipe. But these are easy to fix. I’m happy with this model and interested to see what the next batch brings and how it compares to the other rats in due course. 

• Like 1

Some observations from having fiddled about with my 25s. The steam heating pipes are very fragile and the hoses break off easily. Although the locos modelled did not have steam heating, they were through piped. Hoses were often removed so I'm not too fussed about this. The pushed-in headcodes can be a bid awkward to get straight - I think the design is poor in this respect. The holes for the MU jumpers need drilling out a little bit and the jumpers themselves are a bit on the brittle side - I snapped one out of 12. I decided against fitting the small steps to the buffer beams as there isn't much to attach them by. The blanking plates for the boiler compartment grille and bodyside steps are very neat and easy to fix with Micro-Krystal-Klear or something similar. Don't use superglue. I put them on my two TOPS ones. Part of what I think is the brake rigging fell off of D7661 and has now been glued back on. Both the TOPS ones I have (25093 and 25252) were vacuum-brake only until the end. Hopefully, future TOPS releases will carry numbers of ones that were fitted with air brakes. I have left the air brake hoses on mine for now as I may renumber one or both of them.  The air brake hoses have also come off of D7550 and D7647 (my two green ones) but D7661 and D7667 had air brakes from new. 

When I gave all six a test run yesterday, they all ran very well but a couple were noticeably slower than the others, D7661 in particular. 

I dislike working tail lights and have been wondering if pulling out one of the plugs will disable them without affecting anything else. I haven't tried it yet.

I might also change the headcodes on D7667 as 1O00 was only there for publicity when it was outshopped from Derby Works.

Overall, I think these are very good models. The SLW ones will no doubt be more sophisticated, especially for DCC, and will more faithfully reflect differences between individual class members. I would not be surprised if SLW does both boiler-fitted ones (there were only 5 out of over 200 late body ones with boilers) and those with tablet catcher recesses.

I'm not sure that there is much room left for another mass-market late-body 25 (SLW being more of a niche product) and hope that Bachmann focus on the intermediate body version (ie D5176-5232/7568-97) which no one else seems to be doing.

Edited by robertcwp
Typo.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Downendian said:

Well I may have missed the boat with the first batch. With the announcement of the SLW model, and subsequent order from me, the Heljan model went onto the "reserve" list. However thanks to posts from fellow Rmwebbers I'm suitably impressed with the appearance of the Heljan model to place an order. However  most emporia that I use are now out of stock, so now on back order.

Bristol had almost daily appearances from LMR 25s and pairs of the late body style working the Nottingham-Paigntons on a summer Saturday were very memorable, as were double headed 25s on rakes of VVVs spluttering up the incline from Avonmouth.

neil 

Not forgetting the tanks to Cranmore Neil.  Sometimes 2x25, sometimes 25+40

https://railphotoprints.uk/p943838600/hAF99E096#haf99e0bb

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Covkid said:

Not forgetting the tanks to Cranmore Neil.  Sometimes 2x25, sometimes 25+40

https://railphotoprints.uk/p943838600/hAF99E096#haf99e0bb

Missed the boat on those workings too unfortunately, packed in spotting in 1979 before they started afaik. Standard class 25 turns to Bristol in the 1970s were the Fisons fertilisers to Avonmouth, the 3B01 Worcester- Bristol parcels, 3V04 Manchester-Bristol parcels, and the 3S15 Bristol-Sighthill parcels. Plenty of local BR 25 workings too but these were all early body style, only Ebbw Junction having an allocation of the later body style. The 3S15, (wandering off piste again) was a regular class 40 working in the last years of the class, but I was working in the USA by then. 40s in Bristol in the 1970s were incredibly rare. 

On 04/03/2021 at 19:50, The Ghost of IKB said:

Obviously you can do that, but lets not forget people buy weathered models because they feel uncomfortable/worried they will make a mess and spoil a good model, and theres a price tag for weathered models.  

Please dont pretend this "weathering" is acceptable.  Its probably the worst effort ive seen of factory weathering.

Just received my weathered two tone green version from Hattons (not their fault, I guess) and am quite disappointed. Yes, I should weather it myself; or I should have waited until I could see one before ordering. However, I ordered ‘off plan’, so to speak, based on my previous completely satisfactory experience with a weathered Metrovick from Heljan. I’ve attached some photos. The bits that have been presumably airbrushed are OK, but the job seems to have been spoiled by some very clumsy work with a dirty wash. Horizontal brush or cotton bud marks on the body sides, for example; and what’s that gouge through the yellow warning panel on one end - over vigorous use of a worn out cotton bud? I was inclined to try to make the best of a bad job, but seeing all the correspondence on here, I think I’ll be seeking a refund. In addition,  though Heljan say the loco is good for radius 2, I think their instruction sheet should be much more explicit about how you actually fix the couplings so the loco can pull a train without detailing the wagons and just which pipes etc need to be removed and how best to do that. Yes we can adapt and bodge, but that shouldn’t be necessary with a £160 loco.

C582FF8D-EE81-4AD8-971F-2B558F5A518A.jpeg

F307FE3E-1A46-444C-A58C-364668FA250B.jpeg

5E169FD6-1D8A-4CD9-BA45-597B0AB8D26C.jpeg

C2DB4F52-8379-4903-917B-17F58A779884.jpeg

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

May I ask why the you think the SLW 25 is considered as being a niche product? There are so many independent  producers now that they must be taken seriously by everyone. I would not consider buying a 37 from anywhere other than a 'niche' company but think also Bachmanns 24/1 is excellent. Of the two models that will be available the SLW appears to be  more accurate around the cab door area, but we will have to wait and see, given past releases I know where my moneys going.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, GRUNFOS said:

May I ask why the you think the SLW 25 is considered as being a niche product? There are so many independent  producers now that they must be taken seriously by everyone. I would not consider buying a 37 from anywhere other than a 'niche' company but think also Bachmanns 24/1 is excellent. Of the two models that will be available the SLW appears to be  more accurate around the cab door area, but we will have to wait and see, given past releases I know where my moneys going.

For those who appreciate the additional features, RTR EM and P4 options and who want the best one. Niche because it won't be sold in bulk by the big box-shifters like the Heljan one, which is cheaper and will be fine for most modellers. 

If the SLW one had been announced sooner, instead of one day after I ordered and paid for my six Heljan ones, I might have made different purchasing choices. 

As with 24s, where I have six new Bachmann ones (plus one converted to a 25/0) and five SLW ones, which make does the ones I want first will probably get the order provided it's good enough for me, which, in the case of the late-body 25, the Heljan one is. 

I'm still waiting for SLW to do a blue with full yellow ends pre-TOPS skinhead 24 that does not have the Glasgow Works front but instead has the end gangway doors intact. 

As for 37s, I have 12 Bachmann ones, the majority of which have been improved in some way. I don't think they are bad enough to justify replacing them but in the unlikely event that I decide 12 is not enough, I would look elsewhere for more. Same for the Peak where my 23 Bachmann ones are good enough although the forthcoming Heljan one will probably be better. The new Heljan 47 will lead to the withdrawal of my five old Heljan ones but not my Bachmann ones. 

For me, the big question with new and better models is whether the old ones have fallen below a threshold of acceptability. That is certainly the case with old Bachmann 24s and 25s (the intermediate body 25 is worse than their late body one). The Hornby 08 is better than the Bachmann one but I've not felt the need to spend lots of money changing over.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well that was a pleasant surprise. For some reason I'd overlooked Kernow as a supplier of my new 25. Found they had them in stock, and to my astonishment found that I had a £30 credit there waiting to be spent. A few shifty moves with the card and iPad and a new 25 is on its way. What a nice way to repay my recent purchases of D6XX with them amongst other rolling stock, and they will be getting more of my custom in the future.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, robertcwp said:

For me, the big question with new and better models is whether the old ones have fallen below a threshold of acceptability. That is certainly the case with old Bachmann 24s and 25s (the intermediate body 25 is worse than their late body one). The Hornby 08 is better than the Bachmann one but I've not felt the need to spend lots of money changing over.

It is all individual choice, and probably hinges largely on how long one has been buying / collecting models. One of my first purchases as a teenager was a Lima 45xx small prairie. Would never run it now, even if the big ole grinder still works inside it. I would run the Bachmann 45xx instead.

Moving on and there are countless other models which I have bought at the time, then something better has come along. There is also that rather large box of models bought with the intention of improving the looks of.  I think I have half a dozen Bachmann 25s which were intended for "rebuilding" along with a number of Hornby class 25 bodies which were / are intended to be matched together. Of course Bachmann, Heljan and SLW are all now producing "late" 25s to a much improved electrical standard, although my preference is for the "early" gangwayed locos. I have hung on and hung on for years, and having seen and bought a pair of Bachmann headcoded 24s I am verry confident that Bachmann and SLW will finally deliver my "ultimate" BR/Sulzers. As I have said earlier the bodyside handrails on the Heljan 25 just scream out at me, and I object to buying a Heljan 25 then remaking all the standout shiny handrails to the quality I would need.

Another pointer to Robert's question depends on whether the modeller / collector uses DCC as the method of control.  If operating as DC, there is probably a greater likelihood of retaining the older models because you can still get them onto the track and run them conventionally. If your older collection is DC however but you are a DCC modeller< i doubt you will convert the non DCC ready stuff to fit decoders / lights / sound etc.

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, drgj said:

Straits Settlements..

Never mind the weathering. I can't believe Heljan have fitted every single part of your locomotive upside down!

Dave

Yep, but the magnatraction is really impressive.  

Roy

• Funny 3

I don’t think anyone has posted a clip with the Jamie Goodman file fitted yet?  I fitted two of the speakers Richard Croft used in his video which give fabulous sound.  I have to say that this was the easiest high quality sound installation I’ve done (there are equally easy installations, eg Bachmann 40, which are let down by not being able to fit a decent speaker (ie not high quality) without extra work. There is SO much space in the 25!

Let me know if you want footage of the sound when on the move, etc, if you are struggling to choose which file to fit to your own.

• Like 2

On 10/03/2021 at 19:54, Stevelewis said:

The  most  recent SLW  24  I  bought  was  FEB 21  fully fitted  with  sound  on  board  total  cost  inc   shipping  was  £305,  it  must  be  considered  though  that  when  the SLW 25s  are released  the  price will most likely be higher, very nice people to  deal with though.  I cannot  answer  your  query  though  but   there  would  possibly  not  much  in  it!

SLW has confirmed that its 25 is the same price as its 24s. Apparently, people are shocked by this!

• Informative/Useful 1

On a more serious note from my last post, I would also have been very disappointed if I had received a loco with weathering as on Straits Settlements's  example, and he is right to be upset. I don't really go in for too much weathering on a model and a light toning down is all they need for me.  I know people don't like the average factory weathering but I have actually seen pics of locos that look quite new but with dirt on the bogies and up the sides a short way. It should be quite lightly done, however.

On a positive note I think the over all appearance of the  Heljan loco is good because, as others have stated,  it addresses the main problem with the Bachmann one in that the curve at the top of the windscreens looks correct. Funny though that in my eyes the Bachmann 25/3 didn't look as bad as the 25/1 or class 24. The curve is the same but the small windscreen in the middle must accentuate it on the latter two somehow.  

Dave

The new 00 gauge Heljan class 25. Subject of much discussion on 'that' forum, it was interesting to watch the scathing comments subside a bit once folk actually started taking delivery of these, and seeing them in the flesh. Yes, there are indeed a couple of minor issues, the headcode box glass covers are a poor fit, the domino blinds have been wonkily applied, and yes, there is an internal cablight fitted, but it has been inadvertantly wired to the markers, so it's always on. These are all small, and easily rectified issues, not quite life or death.

It certainly looks like a class 25 to me, and runs superbly. Knocks spots of the now ancient Bachmann tooling.

And yes, the bodyside boiler grille and footstep covers are supplied as detailing accessories.

25252.jpg

25252a.jpg

25252b.jpg

25252d.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m very happy with my 25093 supplied by Arcadia at Shaw. Looks like a 25 and runs well.  Next jobs are fitting sound,  re-numbering and weathering.  I’m thinking of renumbering it 25109 - would that be appropriate?

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

The new 00 gauge Heljan class 25. Subject of much discussion on 'that' forum, it was interesting to watch the scathing comments subside a bit once folk actually started taking delivery of these, and seeing them in the flesh. Yes, there are indeed a couple of minor issues, the headcode box glass covers are a poor fit, the domino blinds have been wonkily applied, and yes, there is an internal cablight fitted, but it has been inadvertantly wired to the markers, so it's always on. These are all small, and easily rectified issues, not quite life or death.

It certainly looks like a class 25 to me, and runs superbly. Knocks spots of the now ancient Bachmann tooling.

And yes, the bodyside boiler grille and footstep covers are supplied as detailing accessories.

And the markers have a squint, and the holes in equalising beams need opening out, the headcode box is fractionally too far back, and the cab handrails are odd and the cab door is wrong... Whilst there is a lot right with the model and it is better than the current offerings, there is also quite a bit wrong. It would have been a disaster if it did not "Knock spots of the now ancient Bachmann tooling", but it could have been so much better.

Therefore, I am not sure that your comment "it was interesting to watch the scathing comments subside a bit once folk actually started taking delivery of these" actually means anything. I am not happy with it, not buying one and don't need to keep saying that. I think that is true for quite a lot of people.

I honestly hope it sells well, as I want to see Heljan do well, but this one is a miss for me.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 10/07/2019 at 17:03, blueeighties said:

**New Heljan 00 gauge class 25**

Very happy to reveal the first painted sample of the Heljan class 25, in BR blue livery. What do we think?

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

They replicated your paint job pretty good thats certain.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Today I have received a new Heljan type 2 Bo-Bo from John Dutfield's in Chelmsford. I have moaned on this thread concerning this model about what I considered wrong with the "engineering prototype", too flat a front, and cab doors windows not are deep enough. On opening the box these features remain, plus the cab door handrails do not look right, you couldn't be pear shaped like me and get in the cab as they bend inwards. I think if I can be ar$ed they can be sorted. It is very well finished and comes with four little bags of bits. Two of which I will not be using, the snow ploughs and the train heating boiler grill and foot step blanking plates, wrong for my period of modelling. The other two contain the tension lock couplings in one and more buffer beam additions in the other. I need to check what should and should not be on the buffer beam for a mid sixties loco as I feel Heljan have added stuff that weren't there, in my modelling period. Comparing the livery with other manufacturers and my own two tone green locos.....how many shades of Sherwood Green are there? None matched the Heljan version, or each other, so that is acceptable.  

I had a small fight to get the couplings on (why aren't they factory fitted?) owing to the pipe work already fitted. I ran it light engine in both directions, it runs very smoothly at all speeds. Its top scale speed is about 80 mph, which is about right for the class. I then ran it with a set of coaches. There is a big operational problem the couplings, they drop, which means they will not couple up to the coaches without human intervention. This is something I feel is important for one man operation on a largish train set. I have other Heljan locos that have a similar problem or it might be interference from the dangling buffer beam pipes, this will speed up my investigations as what it should have on the front. It negotiated the station throat OK. I drove it into platform six and ran round its train for its return journey to the fiddle yard. After getting coupled to a train it ran lovely and looked like a Sulzer Bo-Bo as it sped round the layout a few times.

It will be a good addition to my operating fleet despite my thoughts on its appearance.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 9

Just fitted a Zimo MX644D sound decoder in my 25093. The Cn6 socket is for a speaker connection. If you unplug the red light circuit and instead insert it into Cn2, then you can switch the red tail lights independently using F21 and F22. I'm surprised at the complete lack of instructions on this. Its a shame because these are really good features. Heljan ought to be shouting " look what you do with this"!

Really happy with mine now, but took some getting there.

Richard

• Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, csvt2004 said:

Just fitted a Zimo MX644D sound decoder in my 25093. The Cn6 socket is for a speaker connection. If you unplug the red light circuit and instead insert it into Cn2, then you can switch the red tail lights independently using F21 and F22. I'm surprised at the complete lack of instructions on this. Its a shame because these are really good features. Heljan ought to be shouting " look what you do with this"!

Really happy with mine now, but took some getting there.

Richard

When you say independently do you mean front to rear or left to right?