HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

1 hour ago, Mad McCann said:

Honestly, in this day and age, a factory-weathered loco should resemble a machine that's been out getting dirty at work rather than coming back from a bog snorkeling event. 

Fortunately, solutions exist...;)

Davy.

We're fortunate to have practitioners such as your good self weathering among us :P

Roll-on freedom of movement, and there's a big working of Death Steam heading in the direction of 12A :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My pet hate is weathering that shows the loco should be failed before working as the windscreen wipers are not working. Too many factory and "professional" weathering  jobs look like that.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Error
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, 97406 said:

They look great. I’m slowly getting into weathering. Thing is you don’t need much to improve the appearance of a model, so I’m starting generally with light weathering on the roof and chassis, and will get more adventurous as I go on.

You're doing exactly the right thing...

• Like 1

The factory weathering on that example is just not upto it,  Heljan should not have sent that out. If I were a retailer I also would have returned that, It's become very obvious there is an issue with weathered examples(is 155 similarly afflicted?). I'm lucky that it's a skill I enjoy and have resurrected many a factory splash 'n' dash job, but only because there was no alternative for a specific model. I wonder if some retailers are taking advantage of the current closed shop situation to off load these poor examples? We as potential buyers are really not going to touch those models with a barge pole in over the counter purchases.

I strongly advise anyone only buy a weathered example if you are prepared to rework it, sorry Heljan.

Edit to add weathering is the ONLY skill I'm any good at!

Edited by w124bob

22 minutes ago, w124bob said:

The factory weathering on that example is just not upto it,  Heljan should not have sent that out. If I were a retailer I also would have returned that, It's become very obvious there is an issue with weathered examples(is 155 similarly afflicted?). I'm lucky that it's a skill I enjoy and have resurrected many a factory splash 'n' dash job, but only because there was no alternative for a specific model. I wonder if some retailers are taking advantage of the current closed shop situation to off load these poor examples? We as potential buyers are really not going to touch those models with a barge pole in over the counter purchases.

I strongly advise anyone only buy a weathered example if you are prepared to rework it, sorry Heljan.

*sigh*
Did you not read Ben’s earlier post addressing this? He gives clear advice to return any offending items. It’s not like Heljan are thrilled about the situation either! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

Well apologies to Heljan they have clearly done their best. Question to Heljan , have retailers also been asked to return poor weathered examples ? Just to put my comment into context, I have 6 covering 4x252 one blue 4 double arrows and a green FYE and will add more.

• Moderators
52 minutes ago, w124bob said:

The factory weathering on that example is just not upto it,

I'm going to start a new site up; RMweb Dave.

:scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

After following (hopefully all, or most of) the previous comments, here's my tupenny worth.

1) I'm going to disregard the weathering issues. OK, ultimately it's Heljan's responsibility, as it's their name on the packaging and the loco, but it's just as obvious that the standard that has been supplied is not what was intended. Their past efforts on other classes have been much better. I would still be questioning why the two models concerned escaped Heljan in Denmark, whether the QA sampling missed it OR it picked it up and sent them anyway.

2) I've got one of these, a Tamworth Castle in two-tone green. It's had an extended run on the rolling road and a short run on the test track. I'm not enough of an expert on the class to pick up all the detail errors, but must admit it looks pretty good to me. Runs super smoothly as well.

However, a couple of niggles.

3) As I read it, the lighting can only be altered via DCC. Not a lot of good if you're a DC user. Personally, Bachmann and their little switches is preferable.    

4) The couplings. I totally agree with earlier comments in the thread that you should not have to take a Dremel (or a pair of pliers, as several seem to have done) to a new model to remove the (air ?) tank beneath the buffer beam to enable the couplings to operate satisfactorily. I've got used to pre-fitted bufferbeam detail, which is usually fairly easy to remove, but this tank ? I'm afraid it comes down to what a model should be for, running on a layout at the head of a rake of rolling stock or sitting in a display cabinet and looking pretty. The tank should have been supplied as a separate user-fit item.

The best solution I've seen - and I think it was Dapol on the class 68 - was to fit full bufferbeam details one end and cut down hoses, allowing the couplers and NEM pockets full movement underneath them, at the other. So you could either display it or haul stock with it, your choice, without having to take pliers (etc) to the model.

In summary, for me - great looking model, needs more thought on the details.

• Like 3

I'm just finishing the weathering of 252, it now carries a new number, 25321. A couple of things I've picked up on, rub an emery board over the boiler grill beading to get the blanking plate to sit flush. There are representations of bolt heads on the boiler grill beading, interestingly they appeared more prominent on one side, I used  PVA to secure the blanking plate and footstep blanks. 321 carried ploughs for much it's of career, to get the Heljan ones to fit snugly open out the locating holes slightly. Finally when reattaching the buffer beams be very careful with those tiny screws, the carpet monster very nearly  ate one of mine! I dip the tip of the screw in a tiny amount of PVA . Remove the inner steps on the bogie on any TOPS loco and nearly all pre TOPS apart from some SYE locos. Check the bottom part of the bogie side frame where the six weight reduction holes are, I found flash covering two.

Looking forward to my club reopening to give 321 a proper running in.

• Informative/Useful 1

Well here it is 25321 a regular in the NW, it was only after taking the images that I noticed the headcode glass at the other end has gone AOL. I can cut one up from packaging plastic, coupling is by wire loop at one end.

25321-3.jpg

25321-2.jpg

25321 -1.jpg

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Have to say I love my rat and it has quickly become one of my favourite locos that I own. Yeah, one or two things could be improved, but overall a fabulous model.

One thing I’ve not seen mentioned is that the yellow paint on the nose of the blue locos is VERY thin. This means the detail remains fine and visible but I think it is very susceptible to chipping and potentially even missing certain areas, eg behind the nose irons.

• Agree 1

On 18/03/2021 at 22:52, tlm said:

MP40058's weathering on his blue one is a dream compared to the Green 2531 D5244 I have just opened - see pics.

I bought a pristine 2533 D7661 and the weathered 2531 D5244 at the same time.   D7661 I fitted with an ESU v5 decoder from C & PR (highly recommend their Class 25 sounds by the way), but was awaiting delivery of a Zimo MX644D decoder from Digitrains with Paul Chetter sound file before opening D5244, as I wanted the best available decoder for that one, anticipating the weathering would be at least on a par with their 26s etc. I was already aware from the D7661 installation that Heljan have neglected to include a plug and leads to wire a speaker to the CN6 speake r socket with these locos. The ESU v5 has speaker leads whereas the Zimo decoder does not, but fortunately I had a spare plug and leads from a Class 27.

You can imagine my horror when I opened the box and looked at this loco. This is the one I was looking forward to as Heljan weathering has been acceptably good in the past. The “factory weathering” on this loco however appears to have been done by a 6 year old with a toothbrush or worse – it is frankly utterly appalling including fingerprints on the ends !!!!  I will be returning this by insured post tomorrow for full refund for the loco and my postage cost, and trust the supplier will pass on my disgust to Heljan.

IMG_20210318_213454229.jpg

IMG_20210318_213517076.jpg

IMG_20210318_213449336.jpg

IMG_20210318_213512822.jpg

IMG_20210318_213542675.jpg

Gosh; I think that's worse than mine. I think perhaps I might have been able to save mine, with T-cut, IPA and cotton buds, if push had come to shove. But, I shouldn't have to; and, thanks to very swift and pleasant service from Hattons, I don't have to. A replacement, pristine D7662 arrived today and all seems well.

On 18/03/2021 at 05:41, 97406 said:

A little brute force with the end of a steel rule has made the cab door handrails a lot better.

Thanks for showing what can be done, it is amazing how much better those handrails look, and that is the reason why sadly I won't be buying them. Heljan could really have had the job done right at their factory, but I wouldn't want to risk damaging a model when trying to correct a design / manufacturing error. I would have had at least four of these, and will keep on eye on subsequent batches in future to see if Heljan subsequently release what you have had to do.

Come on Heljan.  This seems to be a relatively easy fix.  

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Hi Everyone,

This morning I took delivery of Heljan 25 number six in my fleet, another 5230 Gsyp, it runs beautifully, everything is correctly attached, however Houston we have a problem, can you spot the factory mistake children? (it's not the curved handrail) I will correct the cock-up myself, and have ordered some Hardy Kruger nameplates.     

Cheers, Brian.

20210324_130456.jpg.2d5ed05edb9b273a18d1ad2f8ed51615.jpg

19 minutes ago, Kirby Uncoupler said:

Hi Everyone,

This morning I took delivery of Heljan 25 number six in my fleet, another 5230 Gsyp, it runs beautifully, everything is correctly attached, however Houston we have a problem, can you spot the factory mistake children? (it's not the curved handrail) I will correct the cock-up myself, and have ordered some Hardy Kruger nameplates.     

Cheers, Brian.

The cantrail grille printing appears to have gone awry?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kirby Uncoupler said:

can you spot the factory mistake children?

Tis a "Mag".  (Newcastle United supporter).

Those Chinese seem to like their little jokes at Heljans expense. 

Edited by Porcy Mane

1 hour ago, Kirby Uncoupler said:

Hi Everyone,

Cheers, Brian.

Not seen this alternating cantrail grille pattern on any before, are there many like this?

Maybe like misspelt labels on beatles vinyl records, this will be a sought after collectors rarity in years to come?

Yes, well spotted 37 114 and Porcy Mane, 

It does look rather odd, the grilles on the other side are all correct, maybe the tampax-printing thingey missed a few out? Strange that out of the row of nine grilles, it missed out alternate positions, does that suggest two applications? As Ghost Of IKB suggests, maybe in 30 years time it would be a collector's item, I wonder if there are any more out there?  I'd prefer to correct it to normal appearance ASAP.  Everyone had better double-check their's!     BK