HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Maybe like misspelt labels on beatles vinyl records, this will be a sought after collectors rarity in years to come?

More likely when listed on ebay someone will ask for £50 off as its defective.

Edited by adb968008

I see the first of the Ethels is now showing in stock at Rails of Sheffield.

Given that the model is un-motored, and that the units generally ran between the locomotive and the stock, you're going to need the couplings working both ends if you're going to run this in an authentic rake.

Yet - still showing in the Rails pics (which I assume are correct) with full bufferbeam detail and air tank attached. All, or most, of which will need to be removed before the unit is run.

Given it's effectively an item of rolling stock, rather than a locomotive, why ? I would think that most Ethels will be destined for use on layouts rather than display cabinets.....definitely for the detail pack.

Perhaps, along with the absence of the motor and driveshafts, this may have allowed for a different strategy than pricing it the same as a full-fat motored 25....

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, Kirby Uncoupler said:

Hi Everyone,

This morning I took delivery of Heljan 25 number six in my fleet, another 5230 Gsyp, it runs beautifully, everything is correctly attached, however Houston we have a problem, can you spot the factory mistake children? (it's not the curved handrail) I will correct the cock-up myself, and have ordered some Hardy Kruger nameplates.     

Cheers, Brian.

20210324_130456.jpg.2d5ed05edb9b273a18d1ad2f8ed51615.jpg

Oh dear! But I'm sure I spotted this 'alternate masking' weirdness on one of the first livery samples - one of the two early blue ones I think, either D7661 or D7667? Can't find it off-hand, being blue it wasn't quite so noticeable but I didn't think it was worth commenting on at the time because surely it would never make it through to the main production.........:O

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, WisTramwayMan said:

I see the first of the Ethels is now showing in stock at Rails of Sheffield. Given that the model is un-motored,

I wonder how long it is before one is listed on ebay as a non-runner ?

:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 5

10 hours ago, WisTramwayMan said:

I see the first of the Ethels is now showing in stock at Rails of Sheffield.

Given that the model is un-motored, and that the units generally ran between the locomotive and the stock, you're going to need the couplings working both ends if you're going to run this in an authentic rake.

Yet - still showing in the Rails pics (which I assume are correct) with full bufferbeam detail and air tank attached. All, or most, of which will need to be removed before the unit is run.

Given it's effectively an item of rolling stock, rather than a locomotive, why ? I would think that most Ethels will be destined for use on layouts rather than display cabinets.....definitely for the detail pack.

Perhaps, along with the absence of the motor and driveshafts, this may have allowed for a different strategy than pricing it the same as a full-fat motored 25....

It may well have full BB details factory fitted, but it would appear the ETH connector/cables are missing ? ....

• Informative/Useful 1

My ETHEL has just arrived from Hattons. Lovely model. I've always wanted a model ETHEL as I used to see them go past my school. 

Yes there are brake pipes and screw couplings fitted at both ends which will need removing at some point. There is also a set of snowploughs in the box which are not needed for ETHELs but will come in useful on one of my other locos. Very happy with it though good job Heljan 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

So bit the bullet and bought a Heljan 97250 ETHEL 1 from Kernow - turned up today, good looking model - sadly it will have to go back for an exchange as the head code glazing was missing ....... not the best QC and shouldn't have to do it for a new model ....... hey ho.....

On 27/03/2021 at 16:07, cambo74 said:

So bit the bullet and bought a Heljan 97250 ETHEL 1 from Kernow - turned up today, good looking model - sadly it will have to go back for an exchange as the head code glazing was missing ....... not the best QC and shouldn't have to do it for a new model ....... hey ho.....

I appreciate that missing headcode glazing is not good, but why not just make your own, I lost one so cut some perspex packing from a Bachmann insert. About 20 minuets of work, cut slightly oversize then gentle filing with an emery board. Obviously the Baccy perspex is thinner but by careful filing I got a good fit then secured with a tiny amount of Gorilla glue which dries clear.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2021 at 16:07, cambo74 said:

Apologies for this. Hopefully KMRC will be able to swap it promptly for you. As mentioned earlier in this thread, we've sent all the evidence regarding inadequate QC to the factory and they have agreed to 'up their game' on future batches of Class 25s. We have also agreed an action plan to improve certain parts, notably the headcode glazing, to eliminate problems such as this. 

With regard to the presence of bufferbeam details on the ETHELs, we felt that there was a lower chance of confusion/problems if we instructed the factory to make them as per the powered Class 25s. We are certain that customers buying these somewhat niche models are more than capable of removing the pipes if required to enable them to be coupled between loco and train. Leaving them off would have made a negligible difference to the overall production cost and end price. 
Same applies to the ploughs - they are included in all Class 25 detail packs as standard and if you don't need them for this loco they might come in handy for something else. I don't know about anyone else, but I have a bits box full of unused parts from various RTR locos! 

Ben

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, cambo74 said:

What to ? Ethel 2 & 3 had a different paint scheme to Ethel 1 .......

All three ETHELs had subtle differences, not constrained to livery. For example, ETHEL 2 kept its sand boxes for most of its blue/grey life, ETHELs 1 & 3 lost them. ETHEL 1 had three lamp brackets at both ends, ETHEL 2 & 3 has two at one end and three at the other.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, 61661 said:

Apologies for this. Hopefully KMRC will be able to swap it promptly for you. As mentioned earlier in this thread, we've sent all the evidence regarding inadequate QC to the factory and they have agreed to 'up their game' on future batches of Class 25s. We have also agreed an action plan to improve certain parts, notably the headcode glazing, to eliminate problems such as this. 

With regard to the presence of bufferbeam details on the ETHELs, we felt that there was a lower chance of confusion/problems if we instructed the factory to make them as per the powered Class 25s. We are certain that customers buying these somewhat niche models are more than capable of removing the pipes if required to enable them to be coupled between loco and train. Leaving them off would have made a negligible difference to the overall production cost and end price. 
Same applies to the ploughs - they are included in all Class 25 detail packs as standard and if you don't need them for this loco they might come in handy for something else. I don't know about anyone else, but I have a bits box full of unused parts from various RTR locos! 

Ben

Are ETH fittings included in the detail pack for the ETHEL's ?  not being factory fitted. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tractor_37260 said:

Are ETH fittings included in the detail pack for the ETHEL's ?  not being factory fitted. 

I've seen a comment by Ben saying that the ETHEL is detailed exactly the same as the other 25s. The detail pack is also the same. This was done to avoid factory errors with different models. 

I've picked up a couple more Heljan 25s, including a 'weathered' one - not too bad although the bodyside muck is a little OTT. That one is a bit squeaky in one direction so I will investigate in due course, the other one was a 25 252. When tested the red lights didn't work at one end, to be honest I'm not mega bothered as two red lights is actually more unrealistic than none (!).

However at some point I'll open it up to fit a decoder, can anyone suggest the likely cause of the fault? As far as I can see the lights are plugged into the PCB so (unlike Bachmann) I'm assuming the cause is not going to be a misadjusted contact but any advice will be welcome.

• Like 1

A short running session featuring the all new British Rail Class 25 from Heljan edited with real sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of fellow class from my sound collection, captured at various Gala and Preserved Railways over the past few years.
Here we see D7661 in smart BR Blue with small yellow panels, hauling a short rake of Mk1s on the Peco loft layout, Peckwick Rye. 
Hope you enjoy!

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

A short running session featuring the all new British Rail Class 25 from Heljan edited with real sound. 
Sounds are provided by a number of fellow class from my sound collection, captured at various Gala and Preserved Railways over the past few years.
Here we see D7661 in smart BR Chromatic Blue with small yellow panels, hauling a short rake of Mk1s on the Peco loft layout, Peckwick Rye. 
Hope you enjoy!

Very nice video and sound, thank you for it. The notorious cab light isn’t very evident. Have you done something to block the light from the headcode box or is it just not visible under the layout lighting?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

Very nice video and sound, thank you for it. The notorious cab light isn’t very evident. Have you done something to block the light from the headcode box or is it just not visible under the layout lighting?

Glad you enjoyed the edit! Certainly can't beat the sound of the real thing. Done nothing to the lighting, so must be the layout lighting.

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, SDJR7F88 said:

Here we see D7661 in smart BR Chromatic Blue with small yellow panels, hauling a short rake of Mk1s on the Peco loft layout, Peckwick Rye. 
Hope you enjoy!

Best not mention chromatic blue... :o

• Agree 6
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Best not mention chromatic blue... :o

Ha! Yes, Will get it changed out. Theres been quite a debate on the video itself and on other social media platforms, with people saying yes and no ;) 

• Like 1

I had the pleasure of reviewing D7661 and 25912. Excellent models and well worth it for the price. The perceived problems some people have fixated on really aren’t an issue when you actually have the physical model in front of you. It is so much better than the older Bachmann model. 

• Like 5