HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I’m made up with my banger blue version. The only problem to me with the Ice Cream Van is the yellow on the inside of the window frames. On my loco, the glazing very well glued in, so not easy to take out to paint them black. 

I do like that early blue livery, and there is a plan afoot to have a small green/blue transition fleet, so I may just get one if they’re still available after the ‘Can’ order has been fulfilled and paid for. 

Edited by 97406

• RMweb Gold

Although on further thought, a little thinned down black acrylic applied carefully around the edges of the glazing with one of those tiny pointy brushes would probably work. Capillary action will draw the paint in. I sometimes do that when I make my own flush glazing or install Laserglaze to tone down the edges.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1

Not having to much of an interest in the Ethel units, more mid/late 60s early 70s for me.

Looking at a couple of my old shots from May 86, i noticed names, badges, plated over grills, differ

between these 2.

img643 (2).jpg

img644 (2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Ray M said:

Not having to much of an interest in the Ethel units, more mid/late 60s early 70s for me.

Looking at a couple of my old shots from May 86, i noticed names, badges, plated over grills, differ

between these 2.

img643 (2).jpg

img644 (2).jpg

As I noted above, all three ETHELs were different.

Roy

• Thanks 1

On 09/04/2021 at 22:35, Jenny Emily said:

The perceived problems some people have fixated on really aren’t an issue when you actually have the physical model in front of you.

Hello Jenny.

On your video, the roof fan grill etch on D7661 doesn't appear to be fixed properly. The etched section appears to be separating from the main body moulding on the secondmans side. It looks particularity apparent between 7:35 & 7:40. Could you confirm if this was the case.

I also find it unusual that on the latest Heljan model the roof fan surround is not as prominent  (raised) as some of the removable roof panels when the reverse is true of the prototype. The photographs below should illustrate what I mean.

4008318396_fe92d01fac_b.jpg25 912 May 15th 1987 by Dan, on Flickr

18294723916_46779bdee0_b.jpgClass 25 D7535 (25185) "Mercury" Goodrington Beach 31/5/15 by 37 Four Zero 1, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/tUk6XN

https://flic.kr/p/2e8CYvi

https://flic.kr/p/9AtXDz

And  congratulations on being appointed to DCC concepts sales team.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
Correct broken link.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ive seen jennys and others reviews and it strikes me that saying this brand new model is far better than one almost 20 years old (and about to be replaced) is to my mind a bit of a back handed compliment.

My 65inch 4k hd tv is far better (and cheaper) than the 28inch crt tv from 20 years ago 

My new laptop is a million times faster has more memory, better graphics etc etc and again was cheaper than the celeron pc i bought in 2000.

My olympus digital pen f is somewhat better than my olympus om10.

The only thing i can think of today which is worse than it was 20 years ago is me. Older fatter and knackered compared to how i once was!

The  reviews that will mean something will be when all three new models, Heljan, bachy and slw can be compared, head to head.  until then its apples and oranges, (which incidentally if id eaten more of in the last 20 years and fewer chips, id be less fat and less knackered.)

Edited by The Ghost of IKB
  • Like 11

Here's a Hornby Magazine review of the Heljan 25/3 with Mike Wild telling us how it has full buffer beam detail, turned metal buffers, separately fitter wipers and flush glazing which has been around for donkeys years. Well my Bachmann 25/3 has all that so that's no major advancement. I can see the only real major advancement being the purchase price which will advance to a higher level.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

54 minutes ago, faulcon1 said:

Here's a Hornby Magazine review of the Heljan 25/3 with Mike Wild telling us how it has full buffer beam detail, turned metal buffers, separately fitter wipers and flush glazing which has been around for donkeys years. Well my Bachmann 25/3 has all that so that's no major advancement. I can see the only real major advancement being the purchase price which will advance to a higher level.

The curve on the front cab roof gutter line on the Bachmann 25 is awful. So much so that mine ended up with Hornby cabs grafted on. The Heljan model looks like a 25 from the front. I need to revisit the Bachmann one as it’s not one of my better efforts, though as I attempted the Ice Cream Van livery, and it looks a bit grungy close up. I have an SLW Tamworth Castle on order, as it does look to have the edge, and another identity eventually  beckons for the Bachmann one. The Heljan one’s here to stay in the fleet, I’m very pleased with it, compared to the original Bachy offering.

DSCF0034.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, faulcon1 said:

Now come on, although i agree with you about the way so called reviewers feel the need to tell us how every new product is better than ever ( "this new model has the correct number of wheels, which can turn thanks to the ingenious application of electricity", ) and state the bleeding obvious whilst simultaneously ignoring obvious faults,  the Heljan model is significantly better looking that the old Bachmann, without question. And i am no fan at all of it.  Its no great acheivement to be better than bachys 25, the bar is set low here, but we cant pretend its not the  better model of the two.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

2 hours ago, faulcon1 said:

Sounds like someone has been listening to a certain 'BDMR' Youtube rant.

8 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

You forgot to list turned metal wheels.  :smile_mini2:  S'pose they could be sintered.

Yes, that one always makes me laugh. Especially on powered items which wouldn't get very far on plastic ones. :nea:

On 12/04/2021 at 12:06, Porcy Mane said:

Hello Jenny.

On your video, the roof fan grill etch on D7661 doesn't appear to be fixed properly. The etched section appears to be separating from the main body moulding on the secondmans side. It looks particularity apparent between 7:35 & 7:40. Could you confirm if this was the case.

I also find it unusual that on the latest Heljan model the roof fan surround is not as prominent  (raised) as some of the removable roof panels when the reverse is true of the prototype. The photographs below should illustrate what I mean.

25 912 May 15th 1987 by Dan, on Flickr

18294723916_46779bdee0_b.jpgClass 25 D7535 (25185) "Mercury" Goodrington Beach 31/5/15 by 37 Four Zero 1, on Flickr

This photograph is excellent at revealing the lack of solebar on the real thing that neither Hornby nor Bachmann made any attempt to depict - the Heljan model is considerably better in this regard

4 hours ago, andyman7 said:

This photograph is excellent at revealing the lack of solebar on the real thing that neither Hornby nor Bachmann made any attempt to depict - the Heljan model is considerably better in this regard

No one has said the original Bachmann 24 or Hornby 25 is better than the Heljan 25. What has been pointed out a good few times up thread is that drawing comparisons between the new Heljan 25 with one model that is over twenty years old and another that was about when Ginny Wade last won Wimbledon is not particularly  worthwhile.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

No one has said the original Bachmann 24 or Hornby 25 is better than the Heljan 25. What has been pointed out a good few times up thread is that drawing comparisons between the new Heljan 25 with one model that is over twenty years old and another that was about when Ginny Wade last won Wimbledon is not particularly  worthwhile.

Yet folk have spent the last 48 pages doing just that.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, blueeighties said:

Yet folk have spent the last 48 pages doing just that.

Hmmm, i dont think many folk have, perhaps ive not been paying attention. Certainly most of the dissenting voices have made comparison with the real locos. Its been mostly the fan boys that have used the "better than Bachmann" theme, in my opinion in order to justify the new models shortcomings and lack of features and relatively high price. (It does have sprung buffers though so thats all good ) Having said that anyone seriously thinking the Bachmann is better needs to visit spec savers and have a lie down in a darkened room.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I have a soft spot for my Hornby Bo-Bos and still run them.  I also like the Bachmann ones, there reliability on my layout has been wonderful. I have purchased a Heljan model, appearance wise it has different issues to the earlier models but I am sure it will perform well on my layout.

We as modellers have a choice when it comes to buying a new toy for out train sets, we either buy it knowing that its appearance isn't 100% or we save our hard earned pocket money. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

The main appearances issue to me with the Heljan one is the missing body frame support that should be visible across the large grilles; strange as the one across the small grilles is provided. Would it be easy to add inside.

I did look at this option, you would need to remove the grill, drill /cut out the shape in the body shell, put a very thin layer of plasticard (maybe even black paper) behind it to hide motor internals and put back the etch.

You may not need to add the strengthener as the etch has the strengthener, its just very subtle to see...it could be removing the bodyside reveals it.

Not overly difficult, more of an “if you can be bothered”.

D828903C-2C25-494C-9853-7D2F3EBC0EDA.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

19 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

I was actually just making the observation rather than trying to stoke the debate. But I'd take issue with the implication that 'old' must mean not worthy of consideration. Sure, today's models are full of fine added detail, multiple lighting functions etc, but capturing the elusive essence of a model is not just the preserve of the 2020s. As examples, the Trix/Miniature Construction E3001 and the Triang EM2 from the early 1960s both did a very good job of capturing the look of their prospective prototypes.

The curious underframeless structure of the Class 24s/25s is really quite distinctive and with thoughtful design is as capable of reproduction whether made in the 1970s, the 2000s, or now. I'm looking forward to how SLW tackle it.

• Like 2

On 08/04/2021 at 12:28, SDJR7F88 said:

Glad you enjoyed the edit! Certainly can't beat the sound of the real thing. Done nothing to the lighting, so must be the layout lighting.

Those Real sounds are really good in my opinion, but for those who want the sound from the locomotive then Legomanbiffo as re-tweaked the 25 files to suit this new model. An Ethel version will be available shortly, RTR Sound fitted are on the site too! see details below:

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=1847

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=253_66&product_id=205

We should have a Movie done in the near future of this project.   Charlie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators

Press release:

**CLASS 25 - BATCH 2 CONFIRMED!**
Just a few weeks after the first editions of our OO gauge Class 25 were released, we're delighted to announce that all versions are now sold out at the warehouse. 

With interest in this superb new model remaining strong and positive reviews appearing across the model railway media, it's clear that we need to get some more versions out as quickly as possible. Batch 2 is already in preparation and will feature new variations on the BR green, BR Rail Blue and transitional themes as well as topping up the most popular livery options from the first batch. We will also complete the ETHEL story with a second variation of the original blue/grey livery. 

The models will feature enhanced cab interior decoration to highlight the superb detail inside, plus a few 'tweaks' to the specification based on customer feedback. The cab interior lights will be omitted and the tail lights will now be independently switchable in DCC mode. Speaker installation for DCC sound will also be easier thanks to the provision of factory-fitted wire leads in the relevant plug/socket on the chassis PCB. 

All models will also be supplied with an additional bag of bufferbeam detailing parts, as well as the existing selection of step and grille plates, snowploughs and couplers. Despite these additions and recent increases in production costs, we are holding the Suggested Retail Price (SRP) at £189 for all Batch 2 models. The new models, due to be released later this year, are as follows...

Class 25 OO Gauge Batch 2

#2543 BR two-tone green SYP D5243

11025431-v1_d5243_brgreen_syp-20210414.jpg

#2544 BR Rail Blue 25095 (with cab front numbers)

11025441-v2_brblue_fye25095-20210419.jpg

#2545 BR Blue/Grey 97251 'ETHEL 2' (alternative livery)

11025451-v3_brbluegrey_ethel2-97251-20210414.jpg

#2546 BR Rail Blue 25904

11025461-v2_brblue_fye25904-20210414.jpg

#2547 BR Rail Blue 25301 (domino headcodes)

11025471-v2_brblue_fye25301-20210414.jpg

#2548 BR two-tone green FYE 7561 

11025481-v1_green_fye7561-20210414.jpg

#2549 BR Rail Blue 25323 (pre-1976)

11025491-v2_brblue_fye25323-20210414.jpg

#2570 BR Rail Blue 7513 

11025701-v2_brblue_fye7513-20210414.jpg

All versions will be produced in limited quantities and will not be repeated, so early ordering is recommended to avoid disappointment. We'll bring you more on these exciting new models as their production progresses. In the meantime, check out the video reviews shown here and contact your local HELJAN stockist to order yours now! 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1