HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, sulzer71 said:

I'll still go ahead with my plan although I'm just wondering how many people will then think I own the Heljan one

I'm fairly certain you'll be able to spot the differences.  You'll only have to look at the cab handrails!

Edited by 55020
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, 55020 said:

I'm fairly certain you'll be able to spot the differences.  You'll only have to look at the cab handrails!

Sadly, and I apologise for sounding like a stuck record, but that is the issue for me.  If Ben could assure us that the 2nd batch will be fitted with authentic looking cab handrails I would be tempted to order three of them - two green and a blue. Until then I will be waiting for the Bachmann model. 

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Covkid said:

Sadly, and I apologise for sounding like a stuck record, but that is the issue for me.  If Ben could assure us that the 2nd batch will be fitted with authentic looking cab handrails I would be tempted to order three of them - two green and a blue. Until then I will be waiting for the Bachmann model. 

Nothing wrong on the cab door handrails on mine. They look close to those one a real 25.

29 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Nothing wrong on the cab door handrails on mine. They look close to those one a real 25.

They do because you took the trouble to do after market modifications to them, using a steel rule IIRC. Shouldn't have to do that, and if you slip and damage the paint finish, then it is your problem. I just think the model is spoiled just for a "ha peth of tar" handrails.  

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Covkid said:

They do because you took the trouble to do after market modifications to them, using a steel rule IIRC. Shouldn't have to do that, and if you slip and damage the paint finish, then it is your problem. I just think the model is spoiled just for a "ha peth of tar" handrails.  

There’s very little that I run ‘straight out the box’ long term, though there are several locos that I haven’t got round to doing yet. 25s, 37s, 40s and AC electrics tend to get pushed to the front of the queue as they’re my favourites. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Covkid said:

...although you could always make a little bending tool out of some really thick plasticard to lessen the risk of scratching the bodywork. Or hardwood strip for that matter.

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, 97406 said:

...although you could always make a little bending tool out of some really thick plasticard to lessen the risk of scratching the bodywork. Or hardwood strip for that matter.

Or pull them out, tweak the ends and push back.

I accept that not everyone is confident fiddling with what are still pretty expensive luxuries and it is a broad church. As someone who is happily chopping up 3 expensive O gauge coaches, I do sometimes worry the constant negative feedback about relatively small details, simply causes manufacturers to stop taking any notice, hence the real clangers still sometimes get through.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
Just now, 'CHARD said:

I doubt it, the width between those handrails...

image.png.c1b9adb40ee7a6cf855d2261a9449a3e.png

Peter Firmin came to our local library with the real clangers when I was a bit younger. Still a lifetime highlight!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 minute ago, Hal Nail said:

Peter Firmin came to our local library with the real clangers when I was a bit younger. Still a lifetime highlight!

Genius!  I didn't realise how long ago Series 1 was broadcast (1969-70), or that there was a huge new series of 50+ episodes commissioned and aired in 2015-16; wonderful escapism! 

Thinking of getting a Heljan 25 and some 'SOUP DRAGON' nameplates from Narrow Planet now....

• Funny 1

Whist I appreciate the point Covkid is making about it shouldn't be necessary to tweak a new model, I count myself lucky that we are no longer in the era of having to carve of moulded in handrails, to replace them with handrails fashioned from oversize paper clips.

Funny how nobody has complained about the funny shaped door grabs that the pre prod pics of the Accurascale 37 show.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Whist I appreciate the point Covkid is making about it shouldn't be necessary to tweak a new model, I count myself lucky that we are no longer in the era of having to carve of moulded in handrails, to replace them with handrails fashioned from oversize paper clips.

Funny how nobody has complained about the funny shaped door grabs that the pre prod pics of the Accurascale 37 show.

It’s the moulded class 40 door handrails that I though were OK until I took a fairly close up photo. They’re going to have to come off at some point - staples are about the right size.

I am definitely of the era when model locos were far less sophisticated than they are today. I do love customising them, though, and there are a few very good examples, the Lima 31 being one, I’ve even kept the 3 pole pancake motor in mine!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

Maybe because they are not that bad at all? Totally different league to the Heljan 25 handrails https://accurascale.co.uk/blogs/news/a-first-look-at-our-class-37

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Ok so he had a rant and yes I watched the whole video. But he has a right it's a called freedom of speech and with the new A2/2 with it's undulating running plate that's not good and he also has a point of Hornby Magazine up selling what is basically mediocre quality. Going on in the mag about turned metal buffers and dummy coupling hooks as if they're the greatest thing to come along since sliced bread when locos have had those items of detail for years. Show us something new that's never been done before.

Now as to the Heljan 25/3 I notice it has full metal wheels and Tamworth Castle is a 25/3 with spoked wheels. One of the criticisms of the Bachmann 25/3 when it came out all those years ago was that it didn't have spoked wheels and the Heljan model doesn't either. I also don't believe that we have to buy the latest and greatest of every model just because it happens to be the latest. To my eyes and to my eyes only to me the Heljan 25/3 is not a significant leap in advancement over the older Bachmann 25/3. But that's just my opinion. I'm not asking anyone here to agree with me. I'm not saying I'm right and you're all wrong. It's just my opinion. You have your opinion and I respect it even if I don't agree with it for it is your right to voice it and it's my right to voice mine. Freedom of speech. Fight to keep that freedom.

I have a Heljan class 52 which apparently the front is not the absolute correct shape and it didn't get corrected until the Dapol class 52 appeared. But I'm happy and contented with my Heljan model and I won't buy the Dapol model just for that.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, faulcon1 said:

Ok so he had a rant and yes I watched the whole video. But he has a right it's a called freedom of speech and with the new A2/2 with it's undulating running plate that's not good and he also has a point of Hornby Magazine up selling what is basically mediocre quality. Going on in the mag about turned metal buffers and dummy coupling hooks as if they're the greatest thing to come along since sliced bread when locos have had those items of detail for years. Show us something new that's never been done before.

Now as to the Heljan 25/3 I notice it has full metal wheels and Tamworth Castle is a 25/3 with spoked wheels. One of the criticisms of the Bachmann 25/3 when it came out all those years ago was that it didn't have spoked wheels and the Heljan model doesn't either. I also don't believe that we have to buy the latest and greatest of every model just because it happens to be the latest. To my eyes and to my eyes only to me the Heljan 25/3 is not a significant leap in advancement over the older Bachmann 25/3. But that's just my opinion. I'm not asking anyone here to agree with me. I'm not saying I'm right and you're all wrong. It's just my opinion. You have your opinion and I respect it even if I don't agree with it for it is your right to voice it and it's my right to voice mine. Freedom of speech. Fight to keep that freedom.

I have a Heljan class 52 which apparently the front is not the absolute correct shape and it didn't get corrected until the Dapol class 52 appeared. But I'm happy and contented with my Heljan model and I won't buy the Dapol model just for that.

Are we sure he is on about Hornby Mag - I don't recognise the quotes..

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, faulcon1 said:

I merely pointed out that your points sounded very similar to a video I'd watched a day or so earlier.

......and that was about it really.

Nothing to do with 'Freedom of Speech'. In fact I agreed with some of what Barry was saying, but not all of it - he got a bit carried away in my opinion. No matter, I'm not in the slightest bit offended by someone having a different opinion to me.

As for the HJ 25/3 I'm passing from what I've seen and read. It doesn't quite cut the mustard for me. I may well get one from the one of the other manufacturers later on. On the other hand I am very happy with my HJ 86 so it's (iron) horses for courses.

Edited by stovepipe
to add quote box, and 25/3 part
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

I merely pointed out that your points sounded very similar to a video I'd watched a day or so earlier.

......and that's was about it really.

Nothing to do with 'Freedom of Speech'. I fact I agreed with some of what Barry was saying, but not all of it - he got a bit carried away in my opinion. No matter, I'm not in the slightest bit offended by someone having a different opinion to me.

My point was about the video as I did not recognise his quotes on the video from the review attributed to Hornby Mag - having checked the magazine I am none the wiser. He mentioned RM but I can't find the loco reviewed in April or May

1 hour ago, stovepipe said:

I was referring to this, posted a day or so before your comment in the same vein.

Well , that’s quite irritating . What the heck is an “ injun”

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

My point was about the video as I did not recognise his quotes on the video from the review attributed to Hornby Mag - having checked the magazine I am none the wiser. He mentioned RM but I can't find the loco reviewed in April or May

I was repling to faulcon1 and didn't see you had posted in the meantime. I don't take either of those mags so I too am none the wiser.

Edited by stovepipe