HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

So got my V2 model today exterior wise not much different fortunately the same color as V1 some cabling picked out in orange on V2 the door handles still not quite right but a little better than V1. V2 is on the left in the photo. Although they have put less pipework on the beam I think you may still have to remove what they have put on for a standard coupling to work properly. The underside air tanks still potentially restrict bogie movement and may have to remove them. Having put in my DCC sound Decoder I can confirm the  lighting can now be individually switched which is the main improvement for me.

20240214_125139.jpg

Edited by 40002
factual error
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, 40002 said:

So got my V2 model today exterior wise not much different fortunately the same color as V1 some cabling picked out in orange on V2 the door handles still not quite right but a little better than V1. V2 is on the right in the photo. Although they have put less pipework on the beam I think you may still have to remove what they have put on for a standard coupling to work properly. The underside air tanks still potentially restrict bogie movement and may have to remove them. Having put in my DCC sound Decoder I can confirm the  lighting can now be individually switched which is the main improvement for me.

20240214_125139.jpg

Some irony that you have it parked on a piece of Accurascale packaging 🤣

• Like 1

On 12/02/2024 at 07:35, Paul_sterling said:

(@40002, thank you for reminding me to post this)

This thread talked a lot about the front of the Heljan 25, so much so i didn't buy one. This was partly because I preordered an SLW 25. 

However I managed to get a second hand Heljan for a very reasonable price, and was impressed by it. The cab curvature is quite good, but even before the SLW arrived, the thing that I was drawn to, that makes the cab front look flat is the grab rail. The Heljan 25 grab rail goes quite straight across the cab, rather than following the contour. 

Otherwise it runs beautifully, and is done to a very good standard. It holds its own alongside the SLW, and the paint finish is okay barring the overly pale front end. 

Sticking my old Bachmann alongside both wasn't a good idea, and really exposed the shape of the cab roof on the Bachmann. Making me think about devising a print design to try and correct it. 

thanks

Paul. 

20240203_203226.jpg

On 17/11/2023 at 22:27, andyman7 said:

I picked up one of the new batch of Heljan Class 25s today. I've an SLW one on order but what can I say? I like Class 25s. I haven't had the lid off yet so can't comment on the 21 pin interface or revised electrics but the example I bought (25301) already has the boiler grille plates applied (they were supplied loose on all the first batch ones, regardless of whether the modelled version had them fitted). There is also a bit less bufferbeam detail ready fitted, I suspect because on the first batch it was not possible to fit couplings without having to cut off or remove details.
Other than that the first batch and the new batch sit side by side without any obvious jarring difference. And whilst I know the SLW is expected to be the 'gold standard' the Heljan ones are very good. The 'new' one is on the left below

PXL_20231117_174739088.jpg

One of the variations between Heljan v1 and Heljan v2 is the attachment of cab front handrail. Those two 'pips' you can see of the v2 (left hand) loco in my own photo of the two side by side represent the centre handrail securing bars on the real loco. On V1 version the handrail hugs these giving the rather flat effect notes by @Paul_sterling but on the V2 the curve is more rounded because for whatever reason the factory assembling these second run models haven't attached the handrail in the same way and it doesn't press hard against the 'pips'.  

• RMweb Premium

I noticed the translucent roof panel is different on the newer batch. Given these don't tend to be that obvious in real life, a quick check didn't really help but I think the newer one is correct?

• 2 months later...