Andy Y

HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Heljan have posted pictures of Painted samples on there Facebook page, of D7661 In BR Blue with SYWP. D7667 BR Blue FYE. 25093 BR Blue.D7672 two tone green FYE as Tamworth Castle. D7647 Two Tone Green SYP. ETHEL3 IC Livery. 25252 BR Blue.25912 Tamworth Castle BR Blue Yellow cabs .

Edited by D1051
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I would love to know what the "few minor improvements" will be.

Generally looking like really good livery application but there are a few small issues with liveries that I hope they are able to correct. Things like the name on the blue Tamworth Castle is too big and centred when it was smaller and to the left of centre between the windows and the black cab windows are spoilt by having yellow showing on the insides were the glazing mounts. ETHEL 3 in intercity should have red buffer beams. The arrows of indecision on 25252 don't look quite right but I can't quite put my finger on why.

Also ETHEL 3 doesn't have plated over access steps and grill like the prototype - was this supposed to be done?

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I would love to know what the "few minor improvements" will be.

Would be nice if they could get the 1960's BR emblem on the green version nearer to the standard of that currently being achieved by Bachmann & Hornby.

P

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

For some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, the blue ones have a look of caricature about them. Yes, there are plenty of extra detail parts, and maybe a bit of toning-down would help the overall feel, but am I convinced that these are a leap forward - not really. 

What is certainly impossible to deduce is how the cab corner and windscreen pillar geometry has turned out.  It's far less visible on the green locos, granted, but a three-quarter view on a blue and yellow machine would be worth a thousand words.

• Like 2
  • Groan 1

20 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

(SNIP) The arrows of indecision on 25252 don't look quite right but I can't quite put my finger on why.

Roy

I think they are too long/stretched Roy, and the arrow sections too thick in relation to the horizontal lines, I agree, they don't look quite right.

Paul. 

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Like 1

I'm quite looking forward to getting 7667 in my house. My bank account is not, but what can you do? They all look like Sulzer type 2s to me.

It may be a photographic effect but comparing this model with a photo of a real 25 in a magazine here, there seems insufficient rake on the windscreen and the relationship between the cab front and headcode box just seems uncomfortable.

Davy.

• Agree 2

44 minutes ago, Mad McCann said:

It may be a photographic effect but comparing this model with a photo of a real 25 in a magazine here, there seems insufficient rake on the windscreen and the relationship between the cab front and headcode box just seems uncomfortable.

Davy.

At EP stage it was raised that the cab area was not quite right, but we don’t know what is being done or not. For me the door and door window are all wrong. 

I have an ETHEL on preorder which I am considering cancelling and only buying once I have seen one in the flesh. 

Roy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

At EP stage it was raised that the cab area was not quite right, but we don’t know what is being done or not. For me the door and door window are all wrong. 

I have an ETHEL on preorder which I am considering cancelling and only buying once I have seen one in the flesh. 

Roy

i agree on the door, it looks too “rounded” on the corners.

I think part of the issue of the double arrow is everything else around it, in pictures most of the paneling on the body sides is near flush, but the images seem to stand out more pro-nounced, I called this on the 45 too, however lets not forget these are close up pictures with bright lighting, which pronounce shadows, this maybe nothing, normal lighting conditions might not be so pronounced.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

I think the  model looks pretty good I just hope the bodyside steps are plated over on the later locos that had that mod.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

As well as issues with the cab door window and where the door joins the roof, the headcode box area looks too pronounced. The horns either side are too low and either make the cab roof shape look too steepled, or it just is.

But it may be better in the flesh.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Agree 1