HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

• Administrators
20 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

How different Heljan threads are compared with accurascale ones!  If it were accurascale making these models there would have been a prompt reply either acknowledging the error and promising to fix it, or confirmation that the production model would be correct and that the sample was incomplete.  Heljan could learn a lot from those guys, in more ways than one. 

They should employ someone just to sit on social media, then stick a few quid on the cost of the models to cover the salary. That would make everyone happy.

As Ben has commented in the past, despite all appearances, Heljan is a very small company. In terms of employees, there is little difference between them and Accurascale. Even the big firms in our hobby are tiny compared to most businesses.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, PMP said:

It could be the TMC model has a bogie with mould ‘flash’ in the holes,

It's exactly this, it's a soft-ish plastic and there's flash in some holes.

Holes.jpg

What's next on the list to moan about? ;)

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 2

12 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Holes.jpg

You can clearly see the outline of one of the 'missing' holes on the far side of the bogie in this image, so they are there just flashed over.

I think they should have done 102 as weathered though, it looks lovely but it would never have been ex works clean with it's TOPs number.

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I think they should have done 102 as weathered though,

As it's as TMC exclusive the customer has the option of which weathering addition they would like.

Locomotive Weathering
Value Weathering + £20.00
Light Weathering + £30.00
Medium Weathering + £30.00
Heavy Weathering + £30.00
Custom Deluxe Weathering + £50.00
High Gloss Finish + £50.00

Fit DCC
Fit DCC + £30.00
Fit DCC Sound - Legomanbiffo or YouChoos or Digitrains or Howes or SWD - (Use additional information to specify) + £150.00

Fit Parts Pack
Fit to one end + £10.00
Fit to both ends + £15.00

• Like 2

I am really looking forward to buying and weathering 25093. That is the closest one to my modelling era of the1980s. I don’t remember seeing any locos with the 4 zeros in the headcode box. 
Tamworth Castle looks very good but by a strange twist of fate I never saw it. It passed through my then home town at lunchtime on an oil train several days running. I missed it as I was attempting to chat up a girl who was in my class at school and failing miserably...

John

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

As it's as TMC exclusive the customer has the option of which weathering addition they would like.

That's all well and good, but that gives the customer the choice, if it comes pre-weathered then there's one more thing for someone to moan about!

Mike.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

54 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

They should employ someone just to sit on social media, then stick a few quid on the cost of the models to cover the salary. That would make everyone happy.

As Ben has commented in the past, despite all appearances, Heljan is a very small company. In terms of employees, there is little difference between them and Accurascale. Even the big firms in our hobby are tiny compared to most businesses.

That’s fair enough, but in the case of HJ they do appear to have history that I’ve read on other threads  of making mistakes that weren’t corrected , and they certainly don’t engage in here like accurascale seem to find the time to do .

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Until Ben....fortunately.....was chosen to be their presence in the UK,Heljan relied on current retail outlets such as Howes to act as their agents.Their stall  at the NEC every Warley Show was the only tangible evidence of whom and what they were. They are not a UK based company in any case and manufacture for the European market in HO in addition. This naturally complicates ways and levels of communication,different language,business practices,currency regulations etc. Accurascale have a narrower focus and have 5/6 ( ? ) enthusiasts & headhunted professionals who have dynamically “hit the ground running “ with some awesome marketing skill. They operate both in Dublin and  London.

I think it’s perhaps misleading to compare the two companies. Ben is making a big difference with Heljan.But there’s only one of him and not much more of them in Denmark. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Accurascale have a narrower focus and have 5/6 ( ? ) enthusiasts & headhunted professionals who have dynamically “hit the ground running “ with some awesome marketing skill. They operate both in Dublin and  London.

9 now :)

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

That’s fair enough, but in the case of HJ they do appear to have history that I’ve read on other threads  of making mistakes that weren’t corrected , and they certainly don’t engage in here like accurascale seem to find the time to do .

To quote @Mcc - Accurascale have 9 people. As I recall, Ben said there were 4 Heljan people in Denmark and 1 (Him, part-time) in the UK. So the only way you get free entertainment is to take on more people, pushing up prices. How much do you want to pay?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, PMP said:

It could be the TMC model has a bogie with mould ‘flash’ in the holes,

Flash!, a-ah, it;s not prototypical

Flash, a-ah, scourge of the perfectionist.

Flash, a-ah, it's deplorable

Flash, a-ah, it's quite despicable

Flash, a-ah, is it repairable?

Flash, a-ah, lets make it bearable.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

There's a rat in me basket what am I gonna do? 
There's a rat in me basket what am I gonna go? 
I'm gonna buy that rat that's what I'm gonna do, 
I'm gonna buy that rat 
When you open RMWeb you don't talk, you moan
And you give every body (at Heljan) the blame, 
But when they catch you up, 
They will shut you up 
And you got no one to blame (it was only flash! :wacko::blush:)
There's a rat in me basket what am I gonna do? 
There's a rat in me basket what am I gonna go? 
I'm gonna buy that rat that's what I'm gonna do, 
I'm gonna buy that rat

:drinks:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

18 hours ago, PMP said:

The EP I’ve handled 06/08/19 has six holes both sides of the bogie.

02207B81-DF2B-438D-BB2A-7B90930BD216.jpeg.6c072063be28750ef5d7973f74e05821.jpeg

I can’t imagine that HJ uk would have issued an instruction to the factory after the EP above, take two holes out of the equaliser bar.

Thanks for posting that picture, i am now holey satisfied. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Holes.jpg

Don’t give them an opportunity, now all the moans are done, go and do some modelling.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

Im not sure what point youre trying to make, telling me hj and accura are similar sized, yet i think your implying that to match accura's customer relations hj would have to increase their prices.  That argument would make sense IF accura were more expensive than hj, but compare the prices of this model with the accura deltic.  One of these is incredibly accurate, the other has 27 pages of criticism and argument right here. Prices are similar, communication worlds apart, accuracy, well the clues in the name.

Sorry if i come across as argumentative but from where im sitting hj is a long way behind accura in regards to engaging with its customers.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Sorry if i come across as argumentative but from where im sitting hj is a long way behind accura in regards to engaging with its customers.

Rubbish. Heljan UK is very slim on headcount but manage to communicate more comprehensive product information and specifications to media and users better than several (but not all) businesses with larger staff car parks than Accurascale. All you are giving us is your opinion.

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Rubbish. Heljan UK is very slim on headcount but manage to communicate more comprehensive product information and specifications to media and users better than several (but not all) businesses with larger staff car parks than Accurascale. All you are giving us is your opinion.

My opinion is all i have to give.  

Opinion based on my experience.

Im comparing communication of hj with accura, not with buisnesses with larger staff car parks as you say.  If you think im wrong in saying accura communicate better with customers than hj do then its you that are talking rubbish, and if you dont believe me ive a christmas card that begs to differ!

Thats my rubbish opinion and ill stop expressing it from now on.

6 hours ago, 37501 said:

I am really looking forward to buying and weathering 25093. That is the closest one to my modelling era of the1980s. I don’t remember seeing any locos with the 4 zeros in the headcode box. 
Tamworth Castle looks very good but by a strange twist of fate I never saw it. It passed through my then home town at lunchtime on an oil train several days running. I missed it as I was attempting to chat up a girl who was in my class at school and failing miserably...

John

At least one Class 25 retained a fully working headcode box well into the 1980s - I used to see it pottering through Hatch End. Can't remember which one.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Until Ben....fortunately.....was chosen to be their presence in the UK,Heljan relied on current retail outlets such as Howes to act as their agents.Their stall  at the NEC every Warley Show was the only tangible evidence of whom and what they were. They are not a UK based company in any case and manufacture for the European market in HO in addition. This naturally complicates ways and levels of communication,different language,business practices,currency regulations etc. Accurascale have a narrower focus and have 5/6 ( ? ) enthusiasts & headhunted professionals who have dynamically “hit the ground running “ with some awesome marketing skill. They operate both in Dublin and  London.

I think it’s perhaps misleading to compare the two companies. Ben is making a big difference with Heljan.But there’s only one of him and not much more of them in Denmark. 

4 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

To quote @Mcc - Accurascale have 9 people. As I recall, Ben said there were 4 Heljan people in Denmark and 1 (Him, part-time) in the UK. So the only way you get free entertainment is to take on more people, pushing up prices. How much do you want to pay?

Being devils advocate, Heljan must have made the financial decision to enter a new market, so should be aware of how other manufacturers operate in that market, and so know what resources it takes to survive in that market, it's not necessarily as simple as chucking cardboard boxes out.

Mike.

• Like 1