HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, blueeighties said:

As mentioned many times before, they are included separately in the detailing pack.

Look I ain’t got time to read the thread, just comment on it.... :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

Maybe its time to put the weathering issue to one side now, we all know to avoid those two models at least for the time being.  Now people will be receiving their models we can get some real life feedback about the merits of them, rather than arguing about images.  

And by the way, are the bogies missing holes and wot no blanking plates?.?  (Joking, dont attack me!:D)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

As someone who would much rather do my own weathering I tend not to buy factory weathered models. However sometimes that's all that's around so needs must, certain Heljan class 27's for example. It's a couple of evenings work to de-weather then work it to my own liking. What those images do show is a lack of preparation by the retailer, they should never have appeared in public, regardless of who is to blame, proof read the web page before publication or better still check over the samples and reject. I suspect someone is in a rush to get them onto the website as a result of the "other 25" nicking sales.  I've bought Ebay weathering of a similar high standard, that would take an evening to improve IMO, do you I could get that one for £100!

Edited by w124bob
  • Agree 2

Postie has just arrived with my TMC edition TOPS green one. Of course this would never have looked this pristine in real life but it is rather lovely (TMC will of course weather it to your specification so no criticism here). First impressions - a lovely model, it certainly looks like a Class 25 to me. 

IMG_20210306_123354.jpg

• Like 13

Oh, before anyone asks, the headcodes are labels fitted behind the glass. I haven't taken it to bits but I would assume they can be replaced or adjusted, I'm happy that out of the box there are some prefitted. The one the other end is pretty much flush, I think this end just needs pushing in a bit when I get her open.

Edited by andyman7

The poor weathering issue is unfortunate, but can eventually be rectified on future releases. However, a more serious issue affecting all versions, is the very poor fit and look of the cab glazing, the top of the front windscreens appear pushed back, and not flush with the frame, plus the side windows are suffering from the "fish-tank" effect. There should not be yellow on the window frame sides, where the glazing should also be a closer fit, this spoils the whole face of the yellow-front locos.

Looking closely at Kernow's studio layout scene image of D7647, the far left window frame edge looks very rough, perhaps gouged out in the factory, to push the windows in, and is that a glue mark top right by the wipers? And why-oh-why does the blue "Tamworth Castle" have yellow inside of the black window edging???

It will be interesting to read what the professional magazine journalists write in their reviews, will they point out the glazing and headcode discrepencies? I was seriously interested in buying several examples of Heljan Class 25, but i'm sorry Ben and Heljan, at that price this just isn't good enough, roll on the SLW. 

Cheers, Brian.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

49 minutes ago, Kirby Uncoupler said:

It will be interesting to read what the professional magazine journalists write in their reviews

I think you will find there are more than enough professionals on this forum Brian.

For any new release -  It's real shark infested water stuff nowadays :D

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Kirby Uncoupler said:

will they point out the glazing and headcode discrepencies?

Are we to be marked down if we don't mention something which doesn't affect the sample reviewed? :scratchhead:

Schroedinger's review.

• Round of applause 1

17 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Are we to be marked down if we don't mention something which doesn't affect the sample reviewed? :scratchhead:

Schroedinger's review.

Will the reviewer be marked down (Catty remarks) for thinking outside of the box?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

46 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Schroedinger's review.

Oh, I get it. So the Class 25 is alive and dead at the same time? But how many RMwebbers have studied Quantum Mechanics?  ;)     BK

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Schroedinger's review.

Perhaps someone should do a review of a reviewer doing a review. But before that it should be announced by making an announcement of the review. One for one of the many influencers out there?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Oh, I get it. So the Class 25 is alive and dead at the same time? But how many RMwebbers have studied Quantum Mechanics?  ;)     BK

Its quite straightforward, its what happens when you miswire a Heljan o gauge diesel, so that it is simultaneously going in two opposing directions, but at the same time isnt moving at all. Happened to me on thursday, pesky quantum mechanics!

Review wise, im betting the reviews in the press and online will be good.

4 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

Perhaps someone should do a review of a reviewer doing a review. But before that it should be announced by making an announcement of the review. One for one of the many influencers out there?

One of the (many) things that annoys me about you tubers is how little research they do, spouting nonsense liberally and then drawing conclusions from irrelevancies , eg.  basing the review on how heavy a model is.

If you want a good review from the carpet runner Ben, just fill the body with lead shot and watch the score shoot up!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Me! And I was really doing quite well in understanding it. Until the point I realised it was quantum mechanics at which point my brain imploded and the slight rocking motion and dribbling commenced.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Never mind the magazine reviews I would like some opinions on ones people have actually bought so thank you andyman7 for the pic, am keen to see the others and a thought on the running.

cheers

mark

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just now, Markwj said:

Never mind the magazine reviews I would like some opinions on ones people have actually bought so thank you andyman7 for the pic, am keen to see the others and a thought on the running.

cheers

mark

Tune in for the latest installments - this ones going to be a runner.

34 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

One of the (many) things that annoys me about you tubers

What exactly is wrong with us potatoes ?!!!

The headcode at one end of 25102 does look poor, how easy is it to get inside to resolve the problem ?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, peak experience said:

On the front views of the green loco from Olivia's site, the left hand model, right hand marker light is not centred. I'm hoping this is just on this particular model. 

Three of the four markers look bad on the green weathered and one doesn't look good on the blue weathered one either.

Edit: looking at the Olivias photos many of the markers look odd. If you look at this one (not weathered) there is something strange going on around them where they look not properly painted and one looks to have split when the light tube is pressed in: D7645

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, caradoc said:

What exactly is wrong with us potatoes ?!!!

The headcode at one end of 25102 does look poor, how easy is it to get inside to resolve the problem ?

I haven't taken it to bits yet but the body is secured by 4 screws, and the wires to the underside of the roof look like they need unplugging from the PCB. The issue looks like the headcode unit has just not been pushed right home, and I don't think it will be a massive issue to sort but it will depend on how the cab interior is secured. It really isn't obvious at normal viewing distance so I'm not desperate to have my new loco in bits. I expect it will eventually get a decoder (I run both DC and DCC) which is when I'll take a look.

Running out of the box is fine, good slow speed control, nice and smooth.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1