HELJAN UNVEILS ‘OO’ GAUGE 25/3 AND ‘ETHEL’ FOR 2019

Andy Y

On 23/02/2019 at 20:35, robertcwp said:
38 minutes ago, robertcwp said:

Much better images and a video here. The end-on view looks better than I thought it might. Might be time to start saving after all. 20 should be enough.

They are going to need to redo the body and probably the chassis to get it right, which I doubt they will do at this stage.

Wow....

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, 25901 said:

Hope they do some weathered blue 25/9's  (nothing a renumber can't solve) not just the polished turd that is 25912

I used to love looking at 25901.

a rigid set of bogies with what resembled a decaying cardboard box with a bit of grease and blue paint sat on top of them.

but it sounded fine.

;-)

• Funny 1

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I used to love looking at 25901.

a rigid set of bogies with what resembled a decaying cardboard box with a bit of grease and blue paint sat on top of them.

but it sounded fine.

;-)

Nothing wrong here, move along, move along

post-1776-0-45963800-1361056453.jpg

17 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Cheat, that was after you painted it !

though those give away dings in the cab front are still a giveaway and wont wash out ;)

No repaint here, we just used our blue paint on 24081 if you remember, just a good power wash.

The dings  as you call them was covered by a front panel off another 25 that was riveted on over the front.

I don't seem to remember seeing a straight 25/3, they always had battle damage 

post-1776-0-04449000-1531735338.jpg

Edited by 25901
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/04/2019 at 21:23, D1051 said:

A post on the Heljan Facebook page was posted today (11 April).The post includes 9 pictures of various O gauge models taken in the factory in China.One picture shows the 00 25 body with a view of the radiator area with out cover.Hopefully the pictures will appear soon on other websites.

any link to the pictures or can someone put on here?

cheers

B

• 2 weeks later...

I have just seen a sample at York show, and although there does appear to be the cab taper it is very slight. The new Bachmann 24 and the SLW 24 have a more pronounced tapering.

Have to wait until we get our hands one one and get the verniers on it to be sure

19 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

I have just seen a sample at York show, and although there does appear to be the cab taper it is very slight. The new Bachmann 24 and the SLW 24 have a more pronounced tapering.

Have to wait until we get our hands one one and get the verniers on it to be sure

Does anyone know what the actual taper was in terms of width at the edge of the cab front compared to at the cab doors please? 

No cabside taper.  Now, I'm confused about it, not having a captive 25 in the yard to measure or scan.  However, this photo (Copyright Paul O'Garra) doesn't necessarily suggest much of one either, if at all.  Hmmmmmmmmmm....  Yes, I know it's a Bo-A1.

25-177_stratford_090783_pog.jpg

Edited by 'CHARD

Hi,

I've just had a quick look at the drawing in my copy of British Rail Main Line Diesels (Stevens-Stratton & Carter,1978). Difficult to measure exactly, and no idea if the drawing is accurate anyway, but it shows about 2mm taper overall from behind the cab doors to the corners of the cab front.

Hope that's some help?

Mike

6 hours ago, 'CHARD said:

No cabside taper.  Now, I'm confused about it, not having a captive 25 in the yard to measure or scan.  However, this photo (Copyright Paul O'Garra) doesn't necessarily suggest much of one either, if at all.  Hmmmmmmmmmm....  Yes, I know it's a Bo-A1.

25-177_stratford_090783_pog.jpg

If there is no taper and this 25 is on level ground then explain why the cab corner is not near the ground. From another pic of the other end I have seen also shows the far end not touching the ground too.

Edited by 25901

At some point I'm heading to the NYMR to take some measurements of one of their Loco's. If it is available, I'll ask if I can measure the cab taper on D7628. I can't make any promises though. 

Paul. 

Edit - Chard's Picture does show a cabside taper. if you follow the bottom edge of the loco body, and project it at the cab end with a ruler, you do get a significant amount of taper showing. Imprecise I know, but its a start. 

Edited by Paul_sterling
  • Thanks 1