PVC glue?

I was thinking of using some PVC pipe and angle section for scratch building a few things, but I want some advice before I get into it.

PVC is very different to the HIPS plastic of airfix kits or white styrene which can be welded together with polystyrene cement. I’ve tried polystyrene cement on PVC and it doesn’t touch the stuff (in fact not even superglue gave a very strong hold!)

Can anyone recommend a glue which would allow me to weld the PVC together?

I’ve found ‘glue that is suitable for PVC’ in my local DIY shop but on closer inspection it looks like a gorilla glue type which sticks TO it, rather melts into it.

Thanks in advance,

Thunderforge

Dichloromethane (Methylene Chloride) is illegal for use in the UK unless a special licence and certificate is granted

Can I have a source for that please? I'm pretty sure I bought some from the model shop only a few days as Plastic Weld...

I bought some stuff from eBay in the plumbing section which is supposed to weld PVC pipework. I have still to try it out, though I have used a similar product in the past.

This, but I paid rather less than £7. (The seller I bought from doesn't seem to have it at the moment.)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evo-Stik-PVC-Pipe-Weld-50ml-30814647/112747398049?epid=28002362138&hash=item1a4044c3a1:g:QncAAOSwogpaUQY3

It should be available from plumber's merchants or DIY stores. (I couldn't find any in Lakeside B & Q - which doesn't mean they don't stock it.)

EDIT.

I've dug it out to investigate. The tube contains 50ml and the packaging states that it is suitable for ABS and PVC  and contains Cyclohexanone, Methyl Ethyl Ketone and Bisphol-A-Epichlorhydrin Epoxy Resin and a long list of safety warnings. It also states a shelf life of 24 months, but I couldn't find any manufacturing date, so this information is of questionable usefulness.

Edited by Il Grifone

Can I have a source for that please? I'm pretty sure I bought some from the model shop only a few days as Plastic Weld...

Not to be used in paint strippers sold to consumers following a number of reported deaths. Other uses e.g. degreaser still allowed.

https://www.paintsquare.com/news/?fuseaction=view&id=7328

Acetone will also weld PVC.  

Methylene Chloride seems to be freely available without certification

https://www.chemicals.co.uk/methylene-chloride

That looks like a useful and informative site but you may have to complete a declaration before purchase. They also have a separate page for dichloromethane (even though its the same chemical!). That page does mention a ban on DIY use.

Do I need to fill in a declaration form to buy chemicals from ReAgent?In most cases this isn’t needed, however some of our chemicals are regulated by the Home Office or restricted for commercial use only. If you’d like to purchase one of these chemicals you may be asked to complete a declaration of use form before we can authorise the transaction.
Edited by JohnGi

You can get methylene chloride through e-bay, I use it for kit building, I found it didn't touch some pipework I wanted to repair, so got some pipe solvent from screwfix.

Emma

I've gone for a small tube of 'Ever Build Stick2 Hard Plastic Adhesive' which contains acetone. There was another tube with a much faster hold and a longer list of chemicals, but I thought I might be safer with this one first.

I'll let you know my results. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and information everyone! :-)

Dichloromethane (Methylene Chloride) is illegal for use in the UK unless a special licence and certificate is granted

Dicholormethane (CH2Cl2) is not the same compound as butanone/MEK (CH3C(O)CH2CH3), which is what Ron Heggs suggested using.

Both can be easily bought for modelling purposes in the UK, eg:

https://eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=3084&name=butanone-60ml&Itemid=189&category_pathway=1007

https://eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=1150&name=plasticweld-57ml&Itemid=189&category_pathway=1007

(Plasticweld is dichloromethane - it says so on the label.)

JohnGi's statement about the controls on dichlormethane's use in paint strippers is correct.  In that use case it was being slappped on by the bucketload or even used in a submersion bath, which is not the same as a few drops on a joint.

If butanone will do the job, though, then I think I would be inclined use that since there seems to be less risk identified with it.  Still a good idea to use either compound in a well ventilated area, though.

Edited by ejstubbs