• RMweb Gold

I’m a bit stuck, would it look right if I were to ash ballasted within the black lines I’ve drawn on with a marker? with brown ballast everywhere else

I wasn’t going to use ash as ballast so I’m still a little unsure if it will look okay

58BD4650-543C-4918-8BFA-31CEF2E7418E.jpeg.28cfc2682a9252cc99ec872ba0eafd2d.jpeg

I’m treating the removable section as a self contained diorama

The coaling stage is glued in position, raised up 1.5mm with plasticard so the bottom step isn’t half covered with ballast 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, on your photo your brown ballast looks like grey ash. Why not try a dry run and see if you're happy with it? I would blend in the brown with the ash at the brown /ash boarder (your marker pen line) so that there is a gradual change from brown to ash in the pit area as ash would have got everywhere around it.

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Hi Chris, on your photo your brown ballast looks like grey ash. Why not try a dry run and see if you're happy with it? I would blend in the brown with the ash at the brown /ash boarder (your marker pen line) so that there is a gradual change from brown to ash in the pit area as ash would have got everywhere around it.

I was hoping to get away with just using the brown ballast to be honest

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I was hoping to get away with just using the brown ballast to be honest

Try a dry run, then and see what it looks like. Can always hoover it off with a hankie over the pipe to collect it again. I use a lady's pop sock (don't ask.)

I think the contrast between the two wouldn't look right, you're prob better off using the brown ballast and weathering it a bit more. Have you got a prototype pic you could refer to? I'm guessing in the real world the area that would be ash would be greater and it would be blended with the brown at the edges.

Steve.

Edited by sb67
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, sb67 said:

I think the contrast between the two wouldn't look right, you're prob better off using the brown ballast and weathering it a bit more

I think that’s the way I’ll go, it’s the image I had in my head

6 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Have you got a prototype pic you could refer to?

I’m not working to any prototypes, it’s basically all out of my head

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

..... I use a lady's pop sock (don't ask.)

Hang on, you’re suggesting I use ladies pop socks and @Stubby47 has suggested using eye shadow

Is there something you guys aren’t telling us :lol:

I’m waiting for someone to suggested a use for lip gloss

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Hang on, you’re suggesting I use ladies pop socks and @Stubby47 has suggested using eye shadow

Is there something you guys aren’t telling us :lol:

I’m waiting for someone to suggested a use for lip gloss

I also use acrylic nail shapers!

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I really need a camera instead of using the one on my phone :rolleyes:

FB36E0EC-E7A1-47F0-A473-AA61B08BF7D6.jpeg

The buffer stop on the shed base is just a modified Hornby stop glued in place with epoxy

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Because I’m not very confident with scratch building yet I intended to ‘kit bash’ a Ratio engine shed for my pump house (similar to Ratio’s N gauge pump house)

So using the engine kit I already have (that I’m yet to build) I set about measuring all the parts and drawing them up so I could decide where to cut and shunt the various bits and bobs

I decided I wanted to have double doors at one end because there would be a spare set in the kit (as the engine shed is to be bricked up at one end)

Unfortunately I wanted them narrower and off to one side, so using my skills as a draughtsman I drew up one end in 3D to have 3D printed

It then occurred to me that having gotten that far why not design/draw up the whole thing in 3D and have it all printed including a custom designed chimney

I’ve designed it to use the Ratio industrial windows, brick arches and guttering so it would be in keeping with the design of the engine shed

I appreciate to some having something 3D printed is cheating but the design is my own

So here it is Warren Pump House

9F2B05EB-F4BB-4DCA-A581-A611D421A3B4.jpeg.1ef4f77fe5ceb03214ccb26ccbb05495.jpeg51750111-1F78-4E19-B435-674C9930B329.jpeg.c3912cbe3621130bfe8ee6ac9e6441cf.jpegE7E285A4-65D7-470E-9ACB-1B3859B567C1.jpeg.5e84dc0b796fb3404071f5f6c1fcd797.jpeg

It’s unlikely that I’ll be doing anything with it for a while as there are more important things on the layout to be getting on with at the moment

But I thought I’d share it with you all

Additional

Oh and yes the chimney is hollow and I’ve made provisions for a smoke generator ;)

5CA63C5E-8EF9-4471-837D-7D56220D47EB.jpeg.dbcb6b48c53d91ef5754677d57db988b.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold

You are being very hard on yourself. Having something 3D printed is not cheating all, it's just using what is available to assisting modelling. How many of us start from absolute scratch when we do anything for our layouts? It's like saying using embossed Plastikard and the like is cheating. No doubt one day we'll all have 3d printers, like we mostly all have colour printer attached to our 'puters.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

That is very impressive.

Those walls are excellent, especially using the Ratio parts.

Thank you, I was being lazy :lol:

I wanted it to look like the same engineer/architect was involved in the building of the engine shed using similar materials

15 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Are they potentially commercially viable ?

Its a possibility, I had thought about putting the chimney in my Shapeways shop

I could possibly look at listing the individual walls to allow someone to mix and match maybe?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

You are being very hard on yourself. Having something 3D printed is not cheating all, it's just using what is available to assisting modelling. How many of us start from absolute scratch when we do anything for our layouts? It's like saying using embossed Plastikard and the like is cheating. No doubt one day we'll all have 3d printers, like we mostly all have colour printer attached to our 'puters.

Good point

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

That has turned out as a very nice model. Well done. I like the fancy chimney very much.

Thanks Martin

I've popped on a coat of grey plastic primer and all the details have come to life.....if a little grey :lol:

1B8025B3-4E48-432F-B8BF-B8E9EE5D4725.jpeg

• Like 5