• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I like the look of that!

I’m going to do similar, although I’m going to have patches of grass on the ballast too and have ash ballast on the run up to the engine shed 

Be mindful of where you put the grass patches. In steam days the ash was toxic to plant life so where engines run it's unlikely there would be grass and weeds unlike nowadays., maybe around the buffer-stops and along the yard margins?

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Be mindful of where you put the grass patches. In steam days the ash was toxic to plant life so where engines run it's unlikely there would be grass and weeds unlike nowadays., maybe around the buffer-stops and along the yard margins?

Useful to know, thank you.

there will definitely be grass/weeds around the buffer stops and by the sides of the engine shed.

only the area leading up to the engine shed will be ‘ashed’ especially around the ash pit of course

I’m making it up as a go along but don’t tell anyone :lol: 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Chris, have you got all the track laid, wired up and tested yet? I recommend achieving this milestone before you pour too much effort into scenics.

Not all the track is laid but what has been laid is wired and has been tested

I’d always planned on treating the removable section as something to practice on and to become a kind of diorama in its own right

however I appreciate what you’re saying.

Edited by chuffinghell
Spelling correction

• RMweb Gold

Two things have been bothering me!

1) when I made the removable section I must have miss-measured the depth as there is a 3mm gap between the board and the wall, very noticeable along side the fixed section (I’m sure this wouldn’t bother a normal person :lol:)

6ABE41FC-442F-4B9E-9296-F81806074362.jpeg.013cce9f7a2d8f35292e0ab86b46f1fa.jpeg

2) what to put in the tapered gap

This is the solution to both issues

4F079E2F-BD8B-4032-BD88-EF758BEAE930.jpeg.daa0c96702faa90a5d4f66f5dc5034b9.jpeg

7A0C4C0E-C6D6-4746-8E26-DE5E309F92E6.jpeg.98cc8208d7bded5e1b225c92596e865b.jpeg

C4528027-5A14-4327-B793-C61BBAF1C73E.jpeg.0f6a844dac4e8278059ced90cd295402.jpeg

I’m sure it won’t be to everyone’s taste and fingers crossed it will look much better covered in grass etc

...... I hope :blink:

You have to use your imagination

C81409A3-DA37-448F-AC7F-D57D30E2BCDB.jpeg.1387687ccd11b740a3193a866eaa3bc7.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
On 02/07/2019 at 08:25, Stubby47 said:

I use Poundland eyeshadows for weathering powders - they're ok as long as you avoid the sparkly ones.. 

Just found these whilst sorting stuff back into the garage:

20190709_204112.jpg.28214bb8cf5fdbeccfe0e951073a305d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Another thing that’s been bothering me is the fire bucket bracket for the coaling stage......the hooks look enormous! They are far too big and look way out of scale

So I’ve made my own using a platicard back, 0.5mm diameter plastic rod as the fixings and 0.35mm wire for the hooks.

I appreciate that what I’ve made isn’t accurately to scale either but personally I think it looks better visually 

I’ve also used springside fire buckets, mainly because I’ve struggled to attach the handle to the Ratio ones, the raised ‘F’ moulded on the bucket is an added bonus. Used weathering powder for the sand

I’ve done the best I can

BBF01EBE-063A-4793-A919-E72307B3D4EE.jpeg

683DDF05-284D-44BC-8E68-751009046E08.jpeg

B5F1C8AE-7AB6-4B47-9F10-8F9102F5EBD2.jpeg

• Like 9

Stubby's right, it wont be clean at all, but you could lightly drybrush or add powders a slightly lighter colour where people would walk around, i.e. the steps or the platform, it wouldn't need much though. Other than that it looks great, I like what you've done with the bucket hooks.

Steve 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Stubby's right, it wont be clean at all, but you could lightly drybrush or add powders a slightly lighter colour where people would walk around, i.e. the steps or the platform, it wouldn't need much though. Other than that it looks great, I like what you've done with the bucket hooks.

Steve 

I think it might be the light (or lack of) that's making it look darker than it really is, lighting and photography are my nemisis

3 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I think it might be the light (or lack of) that's making it look darker than it really is, lighting and photography are my nemisis

I get that, I've took loads of pics of my model and it just doesn't look the same. Another bit of the hobby I'd like to do better at.

Steve

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The layout and window are at opposite ends of the room unfortunately and the lighting in there is shocking

However I intend to change the current 3 x up light fitting to a 5 x down light fitting.........by pinching swapping the light fitting in the living room with the one on the play layout room (I don't think anyone will notice) 

Its not all bad though as my modelling/building table (ex dining table) is by the window

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

I agree. I have been proud of my models when they are done, then when I look at the photos, all the faults come out. I cringe sometimes.

To be honest I’ve never been proud of anything I’ve modelled. I have quite a low opinion of my abilities and will ALWAYS find something wrong with anything I’ve done....I can’t help it, it’s just the way I am and it drives me crazy sometimes

It’s because of the photos that I’m not 100% happy with my bucket support bracket on the coal stage (the photo has highlighted the fixings and hook positions being off centre) hence why this evening I’ve removed it and I’m doing another one

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

Right.

If you're going to be that critical of your own excellent workmanship, allow me to join in....

The slabs on top of the stage need the mortar joins adding on the side where the steps are.

The steps probably need a worn area in the front centre of each tread, plus a lighter patch where the boots have been. 

Er, and that's it. Can't see anything else wrong.

At all.

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

......your own excellent workmanship

Thank you, high praise indeed from a highly skilled modeller such as yourself

27 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

......the slabs on top of the stage need the mortar joins adding on the side where the steps are.

The steps probably need a worn area in the front centre of each tread, plus a lighter patch where the boots have been.

I thought that but unfortunately not until I’d built it, ideally I should have done that before assembly

Thank you for putting things into perspective though

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

To be honest I’ve never been proud of anything I’ve modelled. I have quite a low opinion of my abilities and will ALWAYS find something wrong with anything I’ve done....I can’t help it, it’s just the way I am and it drives me crazy sometimes

i'm the same, I've learnt to be a bit less harsh on myself but I can always find fault in anything I do. 

Steve

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Take two

I’ve re-done the bucket support bracket, the pretend fixings are now in line and equally spaced as are the remade hooks

much better, much happierCA060666-8DB9-4F9B-A7C1-941FAC45B957.jpeg.63539795bc32209a380d645304e19b32.jpeg

The Ratio hooks are HUGH in comparison205A1D06-0FAA-4FD4-A969-B5E8D9C310AE.jpeg.31ec052b97914a5b043c4f2df6b7dbaa.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Anotheran said:

Hmm. I was perfectly happy with mine until I saw this... Now I'm going to have to remove the hooks and build my own!

Opps, sorry about that :blush:

3 minutes ago, Anotheran said:

Nice build!

kind regards, Neil

Thanks Neil

Chris

• Like 1
  • Funny 1