• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I'd have thought the ground around the engine shed would be compacted enough to not need a barrow crossing - unless you specifically have a route the barrows need to follow to get somewhere.

I thought maybe it would be useful when emptying the ash pit using a shovel and a wheel barrow giving access to either side

I also thought it looked quite good

I really don’t know, I should have chosen building airfix planes as a hobby, I’m not cut out for model railways :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I’m a bit concerned about the material I’ve chosen to use to extend the goods area, it’s a tad on the floppy side :jester:

F8020A38-7DDB-49CB-B8CF-9B4CF91EFD51.jpeg

Not sure if an extra 80mm is too much though, looked okay on the drawing 

A21034CA-BFA0-48A9-B294-6C8A6D9B0E55.png.09f5f0d1017507d11403230d1adac760.png

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

I’ve reduced the template by 25mm, why 25mm? because that’s the width of the masking tape I’ve got left :jester:

EBB217DF-D3B5-4C36-B35F-335AAD9D2778.jpeg

I think I prefer having the wider area

Edited by chuffinghell
Spelling correction

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I really don’t know, I should have chosen building airfix planes as a hobby, I’m not cut out for model railways :lol:

You would think that.    You really would.

• RMweb Gold

Made a start at enlarging the goods area

As plans have changed/evolved the original cut out needed to be filled in

BED26E5D-0C52-40B1-A121-C1CF2C5BE508.jpeg.0bd35f5d8b7b9712b481364d6309cb5c.jpeg

Fortunately I kept the off-cutCEF93547-BDC8-4846-9E15-F54D9CF84564.jpeg.ee7988b0963b2699d4d12f5df52816c2.jpeg  

Re-shaped and bevelled the edges (to form a fillet for the filler)A3B5DE78-8C0F-4956-8C79-4B5D1AEAB84E.jpeg.1d8df2e5ce2fec69abfdce9d26c57eaa.jpeg

Filled and sanded (5 minute polyfilla is great for speeding things up)77578C71-635A-4FD1-8291-A9B79A9CE261.jpeg.c4021a54d99020c15c650492c3196ab3.jpeg

Goods area now extended by 80mmFCEC3FDF-D7E1-4DD0-85A5-08E1AE4D5459.jpeg.31a0a6016f15a119957e6c3dffe102c9.jpeg

Just need to sand the filler flush and smooth out the rough jigsawed edge and feather it into the existing boards

”Warren, sponsored by Polycell” :jester:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I wasn’t going to do anything on the layout today but I couldn’t help myself

Now that’s a weird looking curve :blink:

It’s good job 90% of it will be hidden

61F4D8EF-C812-4A08-86AF-467B17B56FB7.jpeg

You'll be able to get at it though, won't you?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

You'll be able to get at it though, won't you?

Yeah, it should be okay

I’ve tested the closest coupling coaches and they are fine (just about)

16200922-9DAB-4E72-ABCF-5E6B391A01E8.jpeg.3cd389a3f47e62b6ae3586ff60526114.jpeg

I’m going to leave the tunnel top open,  just in case of derailment. The boards are quite high so the landscape is hopefully going to be high enough to disguise the fact it’s open. Failing that I’ll make the top of the tunnel landscape removable

When I said “hidden” maybe I should have said out of sight from the viewing area

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Having set it out and run my Hornby Colletts through into the platform I’m not happy with the articulation of the coaches where there is effectively a double bend

In my opinion it looks to$$

98612A75-2688-4827-A5BB-75BB25919B20.jpeg.12c15b8711faa0571f6ddd7f1dc8cddb.jpeg

So I’m replacing the RH point with a  LH point and the train will exit the tunnel mouth on the straight line thereby eliminating the ‘S’ bend tossness

900F34DF-5D05-497F-B737-7FF74FE2CC32.jpeg.30e6de6a80e329d667b61bca947ccc5e.jpeg

Its not a major problem but just goes to show you can’t rely on drawing alone

Thinking about it, the only reason for the way it was originally laid out was to make way for a level crossing......which isn’t there any more

Still works out okay though

AD61CADD-DB67-42FC-95FC-338ED5EB21D8.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
Spelling correction
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Is it normal for track plans to change once track is physically placed on the board.....or is this just bad planning?

Now it’s in place I have found I have enough room for an extra siding, one for the brake van drop off/pick up and another for a cattle dock

I don’t have a spare LH point, hence the RH point being upside down just for messing about purposes

Please excuse the makeshift tunnel mouth and platform

D0AB6CA9-FFF5-49DF-9AB1-F72E37B5EC79.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
Spelling corrections
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

No, don't do it...

Less is more, more often than not, and having space around the tracks is a bonus.

Especially if the tunnel / overbridge is to look natural and not too contrived - you'll need some space for a cutting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

No, don't do it...

Less is more, more often than not, and having space around the tracks is a bonus.

Especially if the tunnel / overbridge is to look natural and not too contrived - you'll need some space for a cutting.

Agree avoid the extra siding less is more 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree less is more, just a moment of madness

I just seem to be constantly second guessing myself at the moment

Thanks for keeping me on the right track guys

A7233391-5636-478B-BF9E-A9B4163AC4A7.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5

Hello Chuffers, - fraid I agree with Dan and Stubby, the extra siding is overkill , you will need an area of rising ground - a sort of cutting, approaching the tunnel mouth, with maybe a retaining wall along the boundary with the goods yard, and for that you need some space there to keep the angle believable. Nice to be able to run round a train in the platform, without loco dissappearing into the tunnel each time too I reckon.  I had a similar problem on my layout 'Sproston '(see pics to understand perhaps,  what I am trying to say..) i have a blog on here about my layout - but people don't seem to read the blogs anymore!

Good Layout though...watching with interest.

Regards

SIGTECH.

(Steve).

002.JPG

085.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sigtech said:

Hello Chuffers, - fraid I agree with Dan and Stubby, the extra siding is overkill , you will need an area of rising ground - a sort of cutting, approaching the tunnel mouth, with maybe a retaining wall along the boundary with the goods yard, and for that you need some space there to keep the angle believable. Nice to be able to run round a train in the platform, without loco dissappearing into the tunnel each time too I reckon.  I had a similar problem on my layout 'Sproston '(see pics to understand perhaps,  what I am trying to say..) i have a blog on here about my layout - but people don't seem to read the blogs anymore!

Good Layout though...watching with interest.

Regards

SIGTECH.

(Steve).

002.JPG

085.JPG

Thanks Steve, very useful

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, sigtech said:

Nice to be able to run round a train in the platform, without loco dissappearing into the tunnel each time too I reckon.

I agree, had I stuck with the original plan the loco would have done just that. Fortunately my constant faffing around with the plans has allowed me to avoid this

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 30/05/2019 at 09:42, chuffinghell said:

What about a cattle dock instead or a combined cattle dock and end loading dock

Would that work?

LOADING DOCK.PNG

Perfect excuse to get a couple of cattle wagons and MOGO wagons

New to the thread but very impressive work.

Sone hopefully helpful suggestions:

Yes the cattle dock works but if you build the ground level up at the rear you won’t need the ramp for access and you can have two pens in the space you currently have one.

Turn the goods shed through 180 degrees so that the loading area faces the yard entrance. This will allow the canal siding to be lengthened to be the mileage siding and shorten the siding between the goods shed and cattle dock accordingly.

DrDuncan

Agree with the less is more approach as a general rule for any layout plan....... 

However, there is nothing wrong with the trackplan evolving as you go on. There is absolutely no substitute for 1:1 planning; often we only see if things actually work in this manner, rather than simply on paper. I think it is good to take your time and keep going back to look at the track arrangement with a fresh pair of eyes. Lay things out and mock the scheme up with some temporary structures too to consider sightlines and perspectives - you can then leave it for a few days to consider whether it works or whether you need to adjust things. Better to tinker and get things right at this early stage, rather than making changes further down the line, when it is far more difficult to do so.

Keep sharing and posting here too, the input of others is always useful. Ultimately mind, remember it is your trainset so the final decision should always come down to your personal preferences, needs and wishes! :)

Keep up the good work, you're doing a cracking job :good_mini:

David 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/06/2019 at 01:46, south_tyne said:

Agree with the less is more approach as a general rule for any layout plan....... 

I've often used this term when commenting on others plans so I'll put it down to a moment of madness

Keep sharing and posting here too, the input of others is always useful

I intend too, had it not been for the help and guidance given by you guys I don't think I would be as far along as I am

Ultimately mind, remember it is your trainset so the final decision should always come down to your personal preferences, needs and wishes

I seem to forget about that sometimes

Keep up the good work, you're doing a cracking job

Thanks David, it's this kind of encouragement that keeps me going :)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Not been able to to anything this week as I’ve been in Ireland with work

This afternoon I’ve attempted to weather the shed base and give it a look of concrete

5ABEBE83-084B-41D5-857E-04BB1A81EECB.jpeg.00b784a26ea130f8c9b3e7de66a894e7.jpeg

not great I know but once the the sheds in place you’ll only be able to see it through the entrance :rolleyes:

9F39F1A2-A26F-41E1-B9F6-35C58CF6C43F.jpeg.eae6bc01d6f7d1fdb39f5867da2a9b76.jpeg

I’m hoping to get more track laid towards the end of the week

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7