• RMweb Gold

Years ago we would have had loads of those switches in stock but these days we use photo electric proximity switches

Let’s see what bits Ive got in my drawer at work....well at least I found my marbles (thought I’d lost those years ago)

post-34603-0-81430600-1541510261_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

hmmmm

I think a swing arm would ensure less sideways play when the roller is engaged than a plunger...?? At least, it would be easier to engineer it so that there's less side-play.

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

I think a swing arm would ensure less sideways play when the roller is engaged than a plunger...?? At least, it would be easier to engineer it so that there's less side-play.

You're quite right, you'd end up with a rocking motion giving me the same issue as before

The play I was getting was when the ball catch had engaged you could still move the traverser a few milimeters front to back (if that makes sense)

That's one of the reasons I thought about an index plunger for a positive lock and no movement, similar principle to using a series of shoot bolts but using one mounted vertically

They're spring loaded and lock open with a 90° turn, I've used them before when designing welding jigs

post-34603-0-13697100-1541515602_thumb.jpg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

My "side play" is your "front to back play". :-)

(Are you getting as little proper work done as I am?)

Yes, sorry, I realised that after I posted. I got hit with a stupid stick this morning

(Probably less proper work but I'm still doing drawings.........just not the ones I'm supposed to be doing)

post-34603-0-55971200-1541516635_thumb.jpg

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

Another point with the roller wheel is the initial jerk to overcome the 'wheel-in-the-hole' might dislodge the rolling stock. Traversers need to have a very smooth action, especially from rest.

If you can make your plunger central to the traverser bed, you might be able to use it as a one-handed operation.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another point with the roller wheel is the initial jerk to overcome the 'wheel-in-the-hole' might dislodge the rolling stock. Traversers need to have a very smooth action, especially from rest.

If you can make your plunger central to the traverser bed, you might be able to use it as a one-handed operation.

Good idea!......although the plunger would be at the back and me being a clumbsy oaf I'd probably do more damage to the rolling stock whilst reaching over*

To be perfectly honest I'd get away without locking anything in place and positioning 'by eye' as there is enough friction holding the traverser in place, however, I'd probably knock it as a loco was passing*

*I shouldn't be left without supervision really, I'm surprised I'm allowed out of the house on my own :O

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

Not done much on the baseboard this weekend other than painting (can’t really do much else while the paint is drying)

I just hope it passes the “look nice and blends in with the room” requirement

post-34603-0-75394800-1541961962_thumb.jpeg

post-34603-0-30178900-1541961973_thumb.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

After what seems like a very long time being distracted by locos and rolling stock and losing my mojo thanks to the ‘black dog’

I’ve decided to get off my backside and shift my focus back onto the layout

Printed out my drawing full size (fortunate to have access to an A1 printer at work) and also used Peco’s point templates

I need to modify the baseboard slightly to adapt it to changes that have been made since building but it seems like it will work

5A60B597-2022-4596-9848-E2B5EABF561F.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

What a stroke of luck, I’ve modified the plans since building the boards so this area now needs filling back in....

9D12E0DA-EC04-45A2-82B7-8977431B90DE.jpeg

...and what do I find in my scrap pile

CB03E471-8A14-4E5F-8B53-50A01A098EAF.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

9 hours ago, danstercivicman said:

Nice wood work! 

Thank you,

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Better than nice, bloody impressive, I'd love to be able to cut inside curves as good as that with a panel saw!

Mike.

Thank you

There is a little 'hump' just before the existing curve but a sander will sort that out.............it was more luck than skill

I used the panel saw for the straight cuts while both sections were assembled and I used a jigjaw on the removable section whilst separated

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you sir :D

I've always enjoyed doing a bit of woodwork (or compressed resin & sawdust work in this case)

As a multi-functional room used by other members of the family my intention was always to try and make it look 'nice and neat' and be a feature in the room and as such I've tried my best not to take over the whole room

As for the shiny finish that's due to using the left over silk paint used on the wall, Matt would have been better. 

Keeping it tidy has been made a lot easier since making* the shelves in the alcove under the layout

*I say making when in reality it's just grey effect conti-board on battens screwed to the wall :blush:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a play with the removable section today

Just having a mess about really, being removable I’ll be able to do the wiring quite easily on this section, obviously I won’t be doing any scenery on the main part of the layout until the track is layed and wired

I realise it looks a bit ‘rough’ but there is more to be done yet including a final skim of plaster

6DE17A63-16C0-4C98-9A0B-76793E7BB585.jpeg

1554D75E-6C09-4551-B4DF-FAC8BC3517F5.jpeg

BE9668CC-CF0D-4B0F-8E1B-05B28B1EBC72.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Fingers crossed it’ll look better once it’s grassed etc, it’s my birthday soon so hopefully I’ve hinted enough to my better half about a static grass applicato:laugh_mini:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Looks great to me! Looking forward to seeing some of your stock on the layout.

Thank you, I’m quite a way off having any stock on the layout but it’s something I’m looking forward to seeing too