• RMweb Gold

Well no going back now, the bulk of the material was removed using my router (hence the strange pencil markings) then squared off with a sharp chisel

AABA53FE-BCB8-413F-9B38-9EA64F195390.jpeg

But does it fit?.....yep :)

12E6A48C-013E-4518-82AC-1D4045393CAF.jpeg

1D6CFA30-53C1-47E6-86C9-BFAA1A307D3C.jpeg

Unfortunately you’ll only be able to see the inspection pit through the open door of the engine shed.....but we know it’s there

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Ooh, track! Always a good moment.

I’ve got to solder all the droppers in place and mark out the hole positions for them

plus I’m yet to modify all the points but I’m getting there slowly

thanks for your continued support

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AlfaZagato said:

Will you be laying track through the shed? 

The shed is only open at one end so the track finishes just short of what will be the shed's back wall thus:-

F25155D0-3BA5-4BF1-9B1F-3BBB40B411E2.jpeg.bcc0168fbfdce899e605618c36d6f3b4.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Have I cut the sleepers correctly?

DF2EC409-0A89-49B9-B5FA-A2490FC7C0EC.jpeg

If this is the scenic section, it would be better to try to interlace the ends of the sleepers to avoid cutting them if possible. If it's the off-stage area then of course it doesn't matter. In either case I would put a dummy sleeper under the insulated joiners on the right in the same way as you have on the left, as these don't have much mechanical strength vertically especially when they have been shortened as you have done. Don't worry about having the sleepers closer together than normal. That is always better than having them too far apart.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

If this is the scenic section, it would be better to try to interlace the ends of the sleepers to avoid cutting them if possible. If it's the off-stage area then of course it doesn't matter. In either case I would put a dummy sleeper under the insulated joiners on the right in the same way as you have on the left, as these don't have much mechanical strength vertically especially when they have been shortened as you have done. Don't worry about having the sleepers closer together than normal. That is always better than having them too far apart.

It is the scenic section, I’ll have a look at interlacing the sleepers and adjusting the sleeper spacing

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks like I’ll miss the sleepers when I make the cut at the baseboard join.....luck more than judgment

I may have to adjust the sleeper distances slightly in other areas but if I move each one by only a fraction of a millimetre I don’t think it will be too noticeable once ballasted and weathered

The areas in black marker are the proposed dropper wire positions

84B046A3-3B02-4D81-B5DD-844DA7A4124A.jpeg

196A4EE5-CC82-4294-8409-5CFD97B9ADF8.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I had a further play with the track and this appears to be the best I can do

The sleeper spacing after the point and after the baseboard join has had to be made wider

I tried it with an extra sleeper but it looked worse

D251FBCA-05EE-417C-9B6A-C46FF03166FC.jpeg

31AE6F02-5159-480D-A814-434C874F8E10.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Have you thought about how you will fix the rails either side of the joint? That will probably affect the sleeper spacing.

You could also use the rail gaps at the joint as isolaters, thus you wouldn't need some of those 'orrible nylon joiners.

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

This is why my build is taking so long.....I spend far too long ar*ing about :blink:

Don't we all?? ar*ing about is the best bit!!

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Have you thought about how you will fix the rails either side of the joint? That will probably affect the sleeper spacing.

You could also use the rail gaps at the joint as isolaters, thus you wouldn't need some of those 'orrible nylon joiners.

Forgive me RMWEB for I am about to sin!

As it's a home layout and unlikely to be dismantled that often I'm just going to glue the track in place, hence why I've used rigid track across the join instead of flexi, although I have contemplated soldering to copper nails (I'm very old skool)

I don't like the 'orrible nylon joiners either but I'd read somewhere that just leaving a gap can cause future problems with expansion of the rails?.............I'd much rather just leave gaps to be honest

At worst case I was hoping weathering would disguise the plastic fishplates

Edited by chuffinghell