• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Julia said:

Is it too late to have an opinion on this?

I think a rural station like this would have a cattle dock, livestock transport was a big part of the railways. If you want to have a more is less approach, then removing the siding outside the goods shed between it and the cattle dock might work. How much goods traffic are you expecting? 

J

It's never to late to offer an opinion

I appreciate opinions and suggestions (because I basically haven't got a clue what I'm doing)

The jury is still out regarding a cattle dock but you're quite right that a rural location would have one

If I were to have a cattle dock I've thought about putting it at the back of the goods shed

Chris

20 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

It's never to late to offer an opinion

I appreciate opinions and suggestions (because I basically haven't got a clue what I'm doing)

The jury is still out regarding a cattle dock but you're quite right that a rural location would have one

If I were to have a cattle dock I've thought about putting it at the back of the goods shed

Chris

Having now caught up on the thread, I saw that option too. I think the version of it on it's own, with also the platform for end loading of wagons would be better. Makes the good shed less cluttered. 

A quick google image search of "goodshed with cattle dock" doesn't give a massive number of examples of it in the real world. Probably as the smelly animals next to the good shed where people are working, and where goods are stored, is suboptimal... 

Infact looking again at the results on the image search, there are more photos of models with integrated cattle dock and goods shed, than of the real world examples...

J

• RMweb Gold

Too much?

DF53D4A2-05F2-4935-A67A-24307DC1337B.jpeg.ca9c3067382a4a0aa7540b49dd05d6af.jpeg

I know it’s too bright, it’s connected to a 9v battery for demonstration purposes. I’ll solder in the supplied adjustable pcb and adjust the voltage until I get a gas like glow

28ED68F5-24BD-4F55-8BF3-485D569F7271.jpeg.c941c646eb39ed1274303d0962c5c9f7.jpeg

I’ve ordered a pair of these too, one of which will go at the other end between the door and window at a lower level

095AB760-185D-4EF9-A9CE-F2C77CAE9773.jpeg.ee95afd286e989ddc64a6e9c8d7892f7.jpeg

I intend to do the same on the engine shed (once built)

probably would have been better in black or green but the packet said GWR :blink:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I didn’t want to permanently attach the chimney just in case I needed to replace the smoke generator

I didn’t want to leave it loose either because of it being easily knocked over

My solution.......magnets glued to the underside with epoxy

C0908CBF-ACE1-4797-86A7-A2FBAC41F51F.jpeg.d8f1823be97ef392ecf2625584892796.jpeg

And a steel bar glued in each corner of the chimney again using epoxy

7600EDE0-4F54-45E4-AB00-658FF5831A20.jpeg.9078be9ec7a9b2c59d97eebdcfd85931.jpeg

Strong enough to hold it in place

9594F7EA-7241-42B3-AEE3-A057C118993C.jpeg.8346dce5434553c5c9e63e2b3457fa2f.jpeg

And lift the building :P

Edited by chuffinghell
Spelling correction
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

The funny (and annoying) thing about doing this was putting the magnets in place.

When I tried to attach them straight onto the epoxy the magnets were obviously attracted to each other and kept jumping to each other :lol:

I had less than five minutes to find the solution before the epoxy set :o

I ended up putting a steel nut above each magnet attaching them one at a time. Luckily the nuts held each magnet in place while the epoxy dried :rolleyes:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

I’ve carried out a few tests with different smoke oils and voltages (not very scientific)

I ran the smoke generator with seuthe oil at 14v down to 10v and it still makes the clicking/farting sound through out the voltage range.

I then ran it again using JT Mega-Steam oil again starting at 14v and there is a lot less noise, and a faint aroma of burning coal is an added bonus

I’ve attached a video to demonstrate the difference in noise levels between the two oils

Please note that the smoke generator is a Seuthe No.6 10v-14v version

Edited by chuffinghell
Smelling error
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

My lamps have arrived for the other end

They’re usually quite expensive but I’d accrued fifteen quids worth of necta points so purchased them via eBay (thought I’d treat myself)

So basically cost me £1.91 inc postage. :good_mini: 

Made the mistake of gluing in place before weathering so I’ll just have to be careful :rolleyes:

I’ve ordered some micro connectors so once they arrive I can wire it all up, permanently attach the roof and throw the gutters/downpipes on....

....then I’ll make a start on the engine shed

Hopefully by the time I’ve done the engine shed my back will be better so I can carry on with the actual layout

A55E611C-C959-408E-B00E-DF0361979084.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

While I’m waiting for these

E0C239D4-70F9-49F3-9536-BE1F2CAC6D09.jpeg.b047d5b8e825f0e544b770e03136fdca.jpeg

I rigged up the lamps and played about with the voltage, just over 4v looks okay

22CBA39B-21B6-4602-B119-FC0DB455C1FB.jpeg.b659dafb1364bfac90865e0ab2b743fb.jpeg

But I think I need to go lower, I’ve looked at photos and gas lights don’t appear to be that bright, I can reduce the voltage as low as 2.5v so I’ll look into that once I’ve wired it properly

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The micro connections arrived today and they are indeed ‘micro’ perhaps I should have looked for ‘mini’ instead

They would be okay for the lighting but I’m not confident they would be suitable for the smoke generator 

So as not to hold up progress (as painfully slow as it is) I’ve decided to terminate the lighting and smoke generator under the baseboard using chocolate-block connectors instead, after all it’s not an exhibition layout

I’ve sprayed up the gutters and downpipes so I’m nearly there now

Fingers crossed I’ll have it finished by the weekend and I’ll be able to make a start on the engine shed

It’s a hobby and I’m in no rush but I’m sure everyone is sick of seeing every single step of the pump house build

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

How low can you go?????

I can adjust the voltage as low as 2.5v, the photo make the lights look brighter and whiter than they actually are.....no doubt the limitations of an iPhone camera

CC616D59-3111-4C1C-A8DA-7E3C590B5DC2.jpeg.60da3def85d5a9dc4e1bc97239037327.jpeg

A9C7E020-A0E0-46FD-A105-74990EE0405B.jpeg.04758760b038e22c8e5bed4afb23f1c8.jpeg

Unless you’re asking about my limbo dance abilities? in which case.....not very low at all

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Julia said:

How did you get the model 3d printed? Is that Shapeways, or your own resin printer? 

J

I don’t have my own printer unfortunately so I uploaded my design to Shapeways

Despite their prices appearing to have increased quite a bit of late I can’t justify buying my own printer, I’m not sure I’d achieve the same print quality with a home printer

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I don’t have my own printer unfortunately so I uploaded my design to Shapeways

Despite their prices appearing to have increased quite a bit of late I can’t justify buying my own printer, I’m not sure I’d achieve the same print quality with a home printer

I still model mostly in card and paper, Chris, but very impressed with the quality of 3D printed models. If I went down this route, I would probably also get a company like Shapeways to do the  3D printing . Do you mind me asking, what software you use for your designs?

Marlyn

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Marly51 said:

I still model mostly in card and paper, Chris, but very impressed with the quality of 3D printed models. If I went down this route, I would probably also get a company like Shapeways to do the  3D printing . Do you mind me asking, what software you use for your designs?

Marlyn

Hi Marlyn

Thank you

I don't mind at all, I use a web based software called Tinker Cad by AutoDesk (makers of AutoCAD)

If you type tinkercad into Google (other search engines are available) its usually top of the list

It’s very basic but its free to use and nothing to download

On larger designs such as buildings it does tend to go slow but I found it a good place to start

Chris

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve used glue and glaze to do the windows and it looks like old hand made glass which appears to suit the building.....well that’s what I’m going to say to convince everyone including myself :rolleyes:

And with the interior lights on there is quite a nice effect

75BCF2E4-AF1A-4578-8970-F6858B6957DD.jpeg.06087b6e48a6fdb4ccb565d5c1b3a9d0.jpeg

the addition of an interior light was a last minute decision, there is a slight bleed of light through the gaps where the roof joints and through the mortar  gaps where the material is thinner but that’s easily fixed

2AD88C64-588A-4843-AEF2-66C443994BAE.jpeg

45F53858-B84E-4F3A-B251-DFF77C1CC67A.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Gutters and downpipes sprayed and awaiting weathered before being attached

I’ve just got to fight the temptation to attach them while the paint is still drying

I’m terrible at waiting for paint to dry :blink:

F7C642E8-4E99-4816-9A2F-CCBF5865DEC7.jpeg

So once they’re fitted everyone can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that there will be no more bl**dly pump house photos :laugh_mini2:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 6