• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Would the gate open next to the water column?

I agree with Al that clipped to the back edge makes the most sense.

I'd not thought about that. I suppose even if it hinged on the other side it makes little or no sense to have a gate there as the column is in the way

I could either replace it with a fixed panel and have a single gate near the back fence or give that idea a miss....it was only there to help hide the join where baseboard splits

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

At the moment you have about a quarter width of one row of slabs at the end of this platform section. If you can't have a fence/gate are you able to remove that quarter strip and move the platform section up a bit so that the board break is between slabs instead of through them. Or does that throw your geometry out down the other end because of your subtle curve?

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Anotheran said:

At the moment you have about a quarter width of one row of slabs at the end of this platform section. If you can't have a fence/gate are you able to remove that quarter strip and move the platform section up a bit so that the board break is between slabs instead of through them. Or does that throw your geometry out down the other end because of your subtle curve?

I could reduce the length by that quarter width slab as I doubt it would affect the curve much, however, doing that would reduce the length of the last edging stone so I'd have to compensate on the adjoining section and end up with two visible grooves in the edging stone (if that makes sense?)

I've tried to illustrate below because I'm not great at explaining myself verbally :blush:

platform.PNG.968ff5c730d715b3c6b6237d32c23407.PNG

I'd not really thought it though properly to be honest :blink:

I'm sure I could still have the fence/gate even with the back fence on the far edge of the platform?

Edited by chuffinghell
diagram added
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I'm sure I could still have the fence/gate even with the back fence on the far edge of the platform?

Yes of course, like this:

grindleford-station010.jpg.a77b3483dbc825ef2ba15153a150019a.jpg

grindleford-station043.jpg.5509a4a381b3d4b145ad8129a186ea34.jpg

Al

Edited by Alister_G
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

grindleford-station043.jpg.5509a4a381b3d4b145ad8129a186ea34.jpg

Al

Thanks Al

Not going to be doing much this evening but I have popped the grid in place and it fits nice and snug, no glue required which is how I designed it

2B46E465-C87C-4307-B893-64E962407D6A.jpeg

A cruel close up

8BC5217A-D85B-4CA4-91A2-5D5B216CF402.jpeg

I might get chance to glue in the base of the water crane later

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

33 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Managed to get a moment to glue in the base for the water crane. Maybe I should have weathered the red brick beforehand but we live and learn

Fits nicely though so it’s not all bad

E35A65D0-53AD-4DB8-8C38-7B3423E3E92C.jpeg.891ae8955d7c236188720d1b294e99de.jpeg

It's not all bad:o???????????????????? You are joking I hope,:fie: it's superb Chris.:good:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

It's not all bad:o???????????????????? You are joking I hope,:fie: it's superb Chris.:good:

:blush: thanks Andy

I'm considering repainting the red brick grey after finding this....

193FCED1-04CA-4CE3-AA5B-00643793551E.jpeg

842DC704-B425-4191-A284-F6AB892C86DE.jpeg.5f307a2599f42e6cd49d533aa95caeb7.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Beware!  I think that’s a fairly modern phenomenon and not an arrangement that would be seen on a steam age layout.  Quite happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.

Paul.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Personally I think this looks better with the bricks in grey rather than red

53B6B543-2FB2-440C-8285-57225F3136E5.jpeg.0bbf0e19b781a118614a732fb748713d.jpeg

I tried to mix blue with grey to simulate blue brick, although it’s still possibly too much on the grey side....I still prefer it over the red brick

I looked a bit to colourful and cheerful for my liking :lol:

I’ve also scribed around the drain a little deeper/wider to give the impression of a mortar joint all round

C254CBED-AFF7-4C09-AE75-63C1975BBC6F.jpeg.fbe68551d123dfac7611268d2a567ee1.jpeg

Plus it was driving me crazy because it didn’t look square :rolleyes:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Beware!  I think that’s a fairly modern phenomenon and not an arrangement that would be seen on a steam age layout.  Quite happy to be corrected if I’m wrong.

Paul.

Thanks Paul

I’ll see what I can find

Chris

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 5BarVT said:

Beware!  I think that’s a fairly modern phenomenon and not an arrangement that would be seen on a steam age layout.

Hi Paul,

Just curious, but which bit? do you mean the fence across the platform? Obviously the wire netting fence and bike hoops and so on are modern.

Cheers

Al

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Hi Paul,

Just curious, but which bit? do you mean the fence across the platform? Obviously the wire netting fence and bike hoops and so on are modern.

Cheers

Al

Thanks Al

I didn't like to ask but Just I assumed Paul was referring to the wooden fencing perpendicular to the main one

I admit to being a little confused as to why this might be considered too modern but too embarrassed about my lack of knowledge to ask :blush:

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, sb67 said:

Great work Chris, everything is coming along very nicely. Not sure if it's been asked before but what are the mixes in the photo's, are they paints you've made up?

Steve. 

Thanks Steve

Yes I've mixed them up myself using Vallejo Model Air colours

They are just close approximations to GWR Dark and Light Stone

I've put labels on the bottle to remind me of the ratio of colours because I have a habit of forgetting to write things down :rolleyes:

Chris

PS. And yes I've washed out and re-used empty bottles because I'm too tight to buy new ones :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

It is said that, a gloss surface being actually physically flat, and a matt not, that washes flow better over the gloss.

I’d painted the platform using satin so I didn’t bother with gloss

Not sure if I’d done it correctly but I quite like how it’s turned out, you can still make out the different shades of grey.......just grubby now :lol:

EE8BBBED-CBF8-49E2-83EF-C5DF035D7F4D.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Hi Paul,

Cheers

Al

Yes it’s the fencing perpendicular to the platform that I think is a modern feature.  Back in steam days my feeling is that platforms were maintained to full length.  It was only after local trains became much shorter that savings were made by fencing off platforms and letting beyond go wild.  The first one I was aware of was Spondon in the 70’s.

So I’m not being categorical, but I can’t immediately think of any photos that I have seen of the steam era where platforms had been “shortened” in that manner.

Musing more widely, BR economies in the 60s were made by wholesale line closures.  It was only once the network had stabilised and year on year savings were still demanded that I think BR managers would have turned to things like part platform abandonment.

Paul.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 5BarVT said:

Yes it’s the fencing perpendicular to the platform that I think is a modern feature.  Back in steam days my feeling is that platforms were maintained to full length.  It was only after local trains became much shorter that savings were made by fencing off platforms and letting beyond go wild.  The first one I was aware of was Spondon in the 70’s.

So I’m not being categorical, but I can’t immediately think of any photos that I have seen of the steam era where platforms had been “shortened” in that manner.

Musing more widely, BR economies in the 60s were made by wholesale line closures.  It was only once the network had stabilised and year on year savings were still demanded that I think BR managers would have turned to things like part platform abandonment.

Paul.

thank you for a better explication

I assumed it was more to do with preventing passengers straying onto potentially dangerous areas of the railway

I may have to use rule one in this case as it’s more about taking the eye away from the baseboard join

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Yes it’s the fencing perpendicular to the platform that I think is a modern feature.  Back in steam days my feeling is that platforms were maintained to full length. 

Ah, I get you. Yes I think you're probably right about that in terms of abandoning part of the platform. In Chris's case though, I wonder if they would have fenced off the water crane? probably not, on balance.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Ah, I get you. Yes I think you're probably right about that in terms of abandoning part of the platform. In Chris's case though, I wonder if they would have fenced off the water crane? probably not, on balance.

Al.

I’ll have to give it some thought, I don’t like ignoring people’s advice when they’ve taken the time to give it

• Friendly/supportive 1