• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

............Your digitally edited image has far too much grass I feel..........

I've probably been a bit heavy handed with the mouse.......it was supposed to be moss :lol:

shedmoss2.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

...............These images generally show the places were dirty but in earlier decades very tidy. The 50s and 60s images show a greater and greater accumulation of waste ash and general junk with grasses only growing very sparsely. Grass tends not to like growing in places where there's lot of oil around!

Pontrilas 1909

i50ad0b5f0ae21.jpg

Pontrilas c1930s

i50ad0b5f0d95b.jpg

i50ad0b5f0f86f.jpg

In the above pic the nearest track is the running line of the Golden Valley branch. There appears to be some sparse grasses under the yard lamp where people don't walk. The grassy embankment behind is beginning to encroach nearer the track.

Tewkesbury 1950s

Tewkesbury_engine_shed_1717892_298fbad0.

Tewkesbury 1960s

02c677a15f8bc0557fc07a988d8be60f.jpg

43754%20Tewks%20shed%20c%201958.jpg

Boiler washout shed, Worcester, 1965

http://www.miac.org.uk/worcestershedsrnp.html

I've just been looking at those very images, I see what you mean about the absence of cr@p

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

Not done anything on the layout this evening other than fix the grid in place and give it a coat of gloss

ECC29FEE-9378-4AAF-B557-9EF1640EC1C2.jpeg.e017886d187eae909bff9019d84e3446.jpeg

The ballast is still patchy (not as visible in the photo) but I’m hoping that it’s not quite dry due to it being cold in the play room

Still undecided whether or not to add a little flock around the shed, I’d planned too but I’m not so sure now

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I’d bought a pack of DCC concepts gas lamps quite a while ago, I used one of the wall lamps on the pump house but I wasn’t too keen on the finish of the lamp posts (very poorly painted considering the price tag)

Unfortunately Gaugemaster only seem to do the barley twist in GWR stone. I prefer the tapered post so I’ll be repainting the ones I’ve got using my own mix of stone colours

dark stone for the base, a black lantern and light stone post.....hours of fun masking 

I’m planning on popping one about here......

FF166D27-4EEA-4BBD-AA1B-9B04DD0FFAE9.jpeg.dfdd315da62567f74ea27a561e37ca05.jpeg

.....and the remaining ones on the platform

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, the lamp seems a bit ornate for a yard lamp. Is a plainer one available? Regarding grass/moss around the shed base, ash etc on the ground was very acidic and little grew in it. You cannot see the line of the base of your shed, so I would leave well alone, even just for the time being until you're happy with what you want to do.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

....,the lamp seems a bit ornate for a yard lamp. Is a plainer one available....

There isn’t unfortunately, that’s why I went for the tapered posts over the barley twist as I thought the barley twist posts looked even more ornate

5 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Regarding grass/moss around the shed base, ash etc on the ground was very acidic and little grew in it. You cannot see the line of the base of your shed, so I would leave well alone, even just for the time being until you're happy with what you want to do.

I think that’s probably the best course of action for the time being

• Agree 1

I remember a discussion in Mikkel's thread over his pre-grouping GWR layout.    The GWR, and most companies for that matter, mostly used the same lamps & posts between yards and platforms.   Economy was more important than image. 

I welcome anyone to dispute this, though.    I am, admittedly, working of memory.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Chris - what's that crocodile clip gadget in the background, looks like a useful tool.

Steve.

it’s taken off my soldering iron stand and yes a very useful tool on or off the stand

Sarah bought it for me when we went to Warley because I’d been a good boy :lol:

54AC3BB4-AC04-428A-A27C-51670424C577.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

A weathering wash/powder should take the newness off it and where rain drips off the guttering it will clean the gravel/ballast it falls on.

How about this for the yard lamp(s)?

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/swan-neck-lamp-1x-gwr-stone/

or this

https://www.layouts4u.net/oo-scale-lighting/oo-scale-yard-lights/063-pack-of-3-yard-lights

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

A weathering wash/powder should take the newness off it and where rain drips off the guttering it will clean the gravel/ballast it falls on.

How about this for the yard lamp(s)?

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/swan-neck-lamp-1x-gwr-stone/

or this

https://www.layouts4u.net/oo-scale-lighting/oo-scale-yard-lights/063-pack-of-3-yard-lights

I think weathering is my only option at this stage

Re Lamps

I had considered the swan neck lamps for the yard but then dismissed it (for some reason?) I'll think on it

Thank you for finding the link

Chris

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Still a bit patchy this morning so I’m a bit stuck as to what to do

FCDF81B2-E62B-4CA6-BE79-60A6293B9259.jpeg

Do nothing for a week (or, more precisely, do something else for a week). Then come back to it and see what you think.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Do nothing for a week (or, more precisely, do something else for a week). Then come back to it and see what you think.

I do have many other things I can be getting on with so I think that's a wise thing to do

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

.......and if that doesn't work I'll be ripping it up or giving up*

* I'm trying not to let it get me down but its bugging the hell out of me at the moment because it looks $hite :sad_mini2:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Much better!

Honestly, I can’t see anything wrong with the ballast around the engine shed that a weathering wash won’t sort out.

As others have said, leave it for a bit, do something else, then come back to it.

thank you

Its because the dark patches have highlighted the newer ballast but I’m going to leave it as recommended and if I’m still not happy after a week I’ll sort it out one way or another

giving up isn’t an option (I’m too stubborn for that) it was a knee jerk reaction to getting a kick in my modelling mojo