• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

I remember a discussion in Mikkel's thread over his pre-grouping GWR layout.    The GWR, and most companies for that matter, mostly used the same lamps & posts between yards and platforms.   Economy was more important than image. 

I welcome anyone to dispute this, though.    I am, admittedly, working of memory.

I took a look at @Mikkel’s thread on GWR lamps, it was that very thread that inspired me to have a go at repainting the lamps myself

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice Chris. So much atmopshere in that shot.

I like the toned down colours you've used on the layout, including the stone colours on the lamp. I must try that.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Experimented with ash around the ash pit this morning, it looked okay so I’ve taken a chance and ‘threw some glue over it’ (technical term)

19ED84BE-038E-4D09-BB9F-B76291485E8D.jpeg

I tried my best to do it random, had to fight my straight line OCD

Also added a little more ballast as a ramp upto the barrow crossing 

And luckily the ballast around the engine shed appears to be drying out....helped in part by putting the heating on low overnight maybe?

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Yep, that's nice and subtle. How about a length of semi-curled up hosepipe and an old bucket?

Good idea!

This is less subtle but there has to be a transition between the railway and the ‘wild’ and I wanted to avoid straight lines, however it won’t encroach onto the ballast any further than this

The brown painted area surrounding the railway will be static grassed

EAFD6CFB-5C28-4C14-9469-D8C102CCC0EF.jpeg

If it’s wrong, it’s wrong :wacko:

I’m not really going for historical accuracy, I’m suppose to be doing it for fun

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9

4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Obviously I can’t take everyone’s advice so I’ve made the decision to put a little moss around the standpipe drain

08009F49-61AB-4BF3-B3C4-EA0E48CD05D0.jpeg.1af90e7e8097315e219f87df7e2e268b.jpeg

I like it so I’ve used rule #1 on this occasion 

And has really enhanced it Chris.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Not sure if I should add more ash around the ash pit or leave it as it is

I reckon you've got it about right Chris, but if you'll forgive me, it looks a bit too neat? Try and overcome your OCD and add some ragged edges... :D

All looking splendid,

Al.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

I reckon you've got it about right Chris, but if you'll forgive me, it looks a bit too neat? Try and overcome your OCD and add some ragged edges... :D

All looking splendid,

Al.

Thanks Al

I know what you mean, I'll see what I can do

I had to fight my desire to trim the tree symmetrically :jester:

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Alister_G said:

All looking splendid,

Al.

I put the glue on first on and around the previously done ash and used a lighter colour (by accident :rolleyes:) and worked it in and around with my finger drawing it away from the ash pit then sprayed on some watered down PVA and allowed it to run a little

05CDE733-A501-456D-A5F4-2651855B2929.jpeg.f809e6fc48656f5070927684b9250bbc.jpeg

Hopefully it’s not too neat this time?

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9

I like the tree Chris, that corner looks great. I've just made my first tree even though I've no layout to plant it on! 

The ash is looking good but I think you could go even messier, I guess in the real world the pit would have to be cleaned out using a shovel and wheelbarrow and taken away somewhere, so that would spread it about a bit. 

Have you looked at any photo's of engine sheds?

Steve.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, sb67 said:

I like the tree Chris, that corner looks great. I've just made my first tree even though I've no layout to plant it on! 

Thanks Steve, I was really surprised just how well the tree turned out considering how easy it was

3 hours ago, sb67 said:

The ash is looking good but I think you could go even messier, I guess in the real world the pit would have to be cleaned out using a shovel and wheelbarrow and taken away somewhere

I didn’t want to go too mad with the ash but I do still need to dirty up the ash pit, I’ve got a wheelbarrow kit to make up which I’ll fill with ash

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2