• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

My first thoughts are that's a grand station building for a branch line unless there is the country seat of a toff nearby. How would only one gable end look?

I thought that too, I'm planning on doing something like this:-

EE1A7399-343E-4A65-94E4-254C5041DCC0.jpeg.b65a24009b41692000189352ce12f7e4.jpeg.536e6befb409671cf44e3b54cc88f1fe.jpeg

171073757_EE1A7399-343E-4A65-94E4-254C5041DCC0.jpeg.b65a24009b41692000189352ce12f7e4(1).JPG.0fff120bfba763ba2a73ac9735fe4494.JPG

or

767564536_EE1A7399-343E-4A65-94E4-254C5041DCC0.jpeg.b65a24009b41692000189352ce12f7e4(2).JPG.a72ec4c09b57ce93f9ac87f36db8bb82.JPG

or

610553835_EE1A7399-343E-4A65-94E4-254C5041DCC0.jpeg.b65a24009b41692000189352ce12f7e4(3).JPG.7c414082566a68719e46c0989c84173c.JPG

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

If you swapped the two wings over then the arrangement of rooms inside would make more sense (to me if no one else!). Then on the ground floor the rooms from left to right would be:

Stationmaster's house (two storey wing)

Stationmaster's office (internal door to booking hall)

Booking hall

Waiting room(s) (single storey wing) (internal door to booking hall)

Ladies WC might be inside the building at the back but the Gents would be tacked on the outside.

I can see a stone plinth. The same finer stone would be used for qoins and lintels, of course. I wonder if some of the windows would be arched?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

If you swapped the two wings over then the arrangement of rooms inside would make more sense (to me if no one else!). Then on the ground floor the rooms from left to right would be:

Booking hall

Ladies WC might be inside the building at the back but the Gents would be tacked on the outside.

I can see a stone plinth. The same finer stone would be used for qoins and lintels, of course. I wonder if some of the windows would be arched?

Thanks phil

I'll have a play

As far as the windows go the basis for the building is a kit bashing a Peco country station and a station house kit

Chris

5A6192E5-8B0D-404C-BA4E-BFE5A58035CF.jpeg.cc295376b2eba9ed586d70c09b2934d1.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Booking hall

Is this what you mean?

290326861_EE1A7399-343E-4A65-94E4-254C5041DCC0.jpeg.b65a24009b41692000189352ce12f7e4(5).JPG.91fdb917a28bfe5125fcfcb995a652f0.JPG

Best I can do with Microsoft Paintbrush :blush:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sort of... :wink_mini:

I don't think the stationmaster's house would usually have an exit onto the platform. On the other hand, the waiting room probably would have an exit onto the platform (although that could just use the exit through the booking hall).

Depending on when you imagine it was built, the Gents might be just a walled area enslosing urinals, with roof only over the few cubicles. That style would have a wooden screen obscuring the entrance rather than a door.

The stationmaster's office would probably have it's own window.

I should say that the booking hall is divided in two internally, of course: There's the public half with the big doors front and back, and the staff-only half from where tickets are sold through the small hatch to the public side. So the window to the left of the double doors is into the staff only part and the window to the right of the double doors is into the public part.

BTW: Sorry to say this but the detail on the gable looks very modern housing estate pastiche.. Urgh! :smile_mini:

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Harlequin said:

Sort of... :wink_mini:

I don't think the stationmaster's house would usually have an exit onto the platform. On the other hand, the waiting room probably would have an exit onto the platform (although that could just use the exit through the booking hall).

That makes sense. I can put the Stationmaster's house entrance on the side or 'pretend' it's at the rear of the building.

2 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

BTW: Sorry to say this but the detail on the gable looks very modern housing estate pastiche.. Urgh! :smile_mini:

I did it on purpose, I was just messing about, I knew you'd hate it :lol:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks good. 

I think most GWR branch line stations had smaller buildings, but you could have a look at stations on the Severn Valley Railway (e.g. Arley, Highley, Hampton Loade) for some inspiration. These were not branch line stations when built, but have a similar look to what you have in mind.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

the waiting room probably would have an exit onto the platform (although that could just use the exit through the booking hall)

I would expect the main waiting room to have an internal entry door from the booking hall, and an external exit to the platform.

I would also expect there to be a fireplace in both the booking hall and the waiting room, and these could be back-to-back using a common flue:

290326861_EE1A7399-343E-4A65-94E4-254C5041DCC0.jpeg.c924907fad501b03dbcd91b5efbf31ea.jpeg

Al.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I should say that the booking hall is divided in two internally, of course: There's the public half with the big doors front and back, and the staff-only half from where tickets are sold through the small hatch to the public side. So the window to the left of the double doors is into the staff only part and the window to the right of the double doors is into the public part.

I modelled this on Bakewell.

post-17302-0-07623500-1385331645.jpg.0e20a197e67a33a31a8fec39fe3bf394.jpg

The main booking hall on the right, with the ticket office on the left.

Looking into the booking hall from outside:

lighting-effects010.jpg.eaee1ec62cb3d9d0eed30ea2726a6598.jpg

I'm not suggesting you do this level of detailing, by the way Chris... :)

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
confusion
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Looks reasonably correct from a Stockton & Darlington point of view... 

213f2798be3b9534cb83297fee9fbb32.jpg

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I did it on purpose, I was just messing about, I knew you'd hate it :lol:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Perhaps something like this would be acceptable?

1290480332_EE1A7399-343E-4A65-94E4-254C5041DCC0.jpeg.b65a24009b41692000189352ce12f7e4(8).JPG.32eee5e77537964cb7d0456425e71ee2.JPG

It's starting to look more authentic now! (It's the Gents that does it.)

I would have kept a door in the StationMaster's office, as well as a small window. He needs quick access to the platform to sort problems out.

There ought to be some secure place to handle parcels. That's often part of the station building but it can also be done in a corrugated iron hut on the platform. And don't forget your lamp hut. (Starting to build an ecosystem!)

You have a problem with your rooflines, I'm afraid. If we assume that the central roof is the same pitch as the others (it usually would be) and with similar overhangs then, because you've shown that ridge to be lower than the waiting room ridge, the central part of the building must be less deep than the waiting room is wide... Doesn't seem reasonable to me. I reckon it would be the same width, possibly wider, so the ridge would be the same height as the waiting room, possibly higher. That will ithen ntersect the house roof at the other end but that's good - in fact the house roof could be a bit lower to save the railway company money. The inhabitants are only railway employees so they can put up with slopey ceilings and pokey dormer windows :wink_mini:

Edited by Harlequin

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Harlequin said:

You have a problem with your rooflines, I'm afraid. If we assume that the central roof is the same pitch as the others (it usually would be) and with similar overhangs then, because you've shown that ridge to be lower than the waiting room ridge, the central part of the building must be less deep than the waiting room is wide... Doesn't seem reasonable to me. I reckon it would be the same width, possibly wider, so the ridge would be the same height as the waiting room, possibly higher. That will ithen ntersect the house roof at the other end but that's good - in fact the house roof could be a bit lower to save the railway company money. The inhabitants are only railway employees so they can put up with slopey ceilings and pokey dormer windows :wink_mini:

I'm having to compromise based on the parts I have to hand from the two kits

As its low relief you would just have to imagine the left hand building goes further back (similar to the inset photo) which could explain why the ridge is lower?

I've done a quick 3D sketch taking the dimensions from the kit of parts

1917670971_3dbuilding.JPG.a55356fc5236dd3b64da6a116a759180.JPG

The overall depth needs to be no more than 45mm (in low relief)

It is tempted to have parts 3D printed instead but this would be a costly option (plus I already have the Peco Kits)

Chris

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I would have kept a door in the StationMaster's office, as well as a small window. He needs quick access to the platform to sort problems out.

I've looked at combining the back part of the country station with one of the station house sides to give me this:- 

FRONT.JPG.61a23b0fde449f67cc6abb00f5f459e8.JPG

In effect I would have a door and small window in the Station Masters office and a window and double doors for the booking hall

I've done it this way to try and maintain the existing stone pattern, qoins and lintels

Not sure if I'm skilled enough but I'll give it a try "he who dares wins Rodney"

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 8

27 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I've looked at combining the back part of the country station with one of the station house sides to give me this:- 

FRONT.JPG.61a23b0fde449f67cc6abb00f5f459e8.JPG

In effect I would have a door and small window in the Station Masters office and a window and double doors for the booking hall

I've done it this way to try and maintain the existing stone pattern, qoins and lintels

Not sure if I'm skilled enough but I'll give it a try "he who dares wins Rodney"

This is exactly the point I was making. Both Wills and Peco kits are designed specifically for people to be able to do stuff like this. Wills also produce sheets of pre-patterned plasticard for doing this as well, and I use them all extensively. 

• Agree 1