• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Alister_G said:

......although you are doing it half-relief, I reckon you could bring the front wall forward a bit more, almost to the edge of the window of the main block, to make it a slightly wider entrance.

Al.

I managed to escape my home improvement duties for an hour and came up with this

3968A2E0-FB83-45A3-88CB-D90A5CCEEE71.jpeg.c59bcce91f3c07d5a104fb8d83370daf.jpeg

Bringing the wall forward by 3mm and using the thinner material for the back wall has created an entrance scaling 3ft which should be more than adequate for even the most portly of gentleman

As I’m not fitting a door I filed grooves in the doorway to replicate the stonework mortar lines, surprisingly it turned out quite well

6D2830DA-DD59-48B5-AA65-76C453D085A8.jpeg.aa1e84569ee584afe7b44831e620fe87.jpeg

@teaky was spot on! The difference in brick/stone size has made a noticeable difference visually

@Rowsley17D’s suggestion of painting the wall white works a treat too, although I may leave it all white instead of the two tone white/black originally suggested

I need to cut another roof section as the original one is now 3/4mm too narrow (just put in place for a photo)

Weathering will tone down the ‘whitewash’

A34D4170-8CB2-46A5-A97E-50F422F5DA3B.jpeg.3fbbbc35c12fc5962bb502e44d26f1b6.jpeg

Considering I had previously planned for this to find a new home at a landfill somewhere I’m quite pleased how it’s turned out

Thank you to everyone who offer their suggestions, it’s appreciated as always

Edited by chuffinghell
Spelling correction
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve not had chance to do anything this week with work and other stuff I’ve planned to get done

However, I’ve had a spare moment this evening to tinker about.

I’ve cut off the kurb from the left over flat roof

56AE376A-A558-4716-B4AD-A3391616402D.jpeg.c84bbbd2bd40d8962e530b8db9652889.jpeg

Thinned down the thickness with a small chisel (fingers still intact) and stuck the bits together

0D1E0EE7-243E-4F3D-8AF2-0F9E64942AEB.jpeg.815a661c04a961a55f201cc7feebcfab.jpeg

D222EC49-7565-4814-B670-EB13E3D133E5.jpeg.34f5a2edbc4bae37cd3f9389f23691a9.jpeg

And used it for the tiled floor in the gents loo

15EB5343-74B7-451F-9EEC-99F6EA250DCF.jpeg.234a66ef8bf0c6347c3a9c0deed94e7d.jpeg

I played about with the pressure on my airbrush to get this effect with gloss varnish

75A7B691-2434-4FCC-B837-1D9ACC615B1B.jpeg.f8e8937c9bbf5a8c3a0d1e36c094dcf5.jpeg

It’s added a little texture, it will be interesting to know if it dries textured. Fingers crossed it will

Edited by chuffinghell
Poor spelling corrected
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

When gluing in the floor I used plastic weld from the underside. Unfortunately it bled through onto the back wall and softened the white paint a little

I probably could have gotten away with it but......

.....I cut what I had left in half and added it around the edge to tidy it up

0C720901-A2EE-4538-A4DA-F477B313CA62.jpeg.e7d5cf4de80042f25c8991ce3e1b7018.jpeg

Just need a mop and bucket in the corner :lol:

• Like 11
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

That's quite inspirational thought and modelling. What about a small sandstone sill to the doorway to stop boots from kicking and lifting the first few floor tiles? And might they have been red quarry tiles?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

That's quite inspirational thought and modelling. What about a small sandstone sill to the doorway to stop boots from kicking and lifting the first few floor tiles? And might they have been red quarry tiles?

I did wonder about the ‘trip hazard’ so I’ll see what I can do about that.

As far as the colour, I considered painting them red but changed my mind. I’d struggle to change the colour now as I’d probably make a mess :lol:

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, sb67 said:

Great idea and another bit of fantastic modelling Chris. I'm really admiring how precise your work is, great stuff :)

Thank you, I try my best.

I only used the edging from the left over roof sections because I didn’t have anything else and I rarely throw away something that could come in useful

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Thank you, I try my best.

I only used the edging from the left over roof sections because I didn’t have anything else and I rarely throw away something that could come in useful

That's a good ethos Chris, something I try but rarely succeed! ;)

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, sb67 said:

.......something I try but rarely succeed! ;)

If you’re referring to trying your best I’d have to disagree with you there, especially after your bridge build :good:

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold

The problem with not doing any modelling whilst being tied up with other things is that it gives me too much time to think

I'd been thinking about interior lighting in the station building and convinced myself to do it, it did however mean removing the roof (again) and making a few other modifications including a false ceiling to house the bulbs and wiring

So I attempted to remove the roof yesterday evening and in the process managed to damage the canopy and some of the paintwork :wacko:

However, it's nothing that can't be fixed with a little filler and sandpaper. I'm going to look at tidying up the mess I've made this evening which may involve re-spraying the whole thing :banghead:

It's going to put me back a little but I'm stubborn and I don't give up easily 

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Right, where do I start? Removing the roof did more damage than I first thought 

The gable ends and the middle wall had bowed slightly due to me pulling/twisting the roof off. I had also inadvertently twisted the lot from end to end 

So I spent 4 hours yesterday evening adding corner gussets, angles, tubes and flat sections where necessary to square it all back up and straighten the walls so it’s all nice and square and plum again now 

The partition to the station masters office had to be removed so I could add a flat across the wall to straighten it

Anyway after some cutting, filing, filling and sanding I gave it a blast of humbrol mid sea grey aerosol all over except for the loo that I masked off. Left it to dry for an hour and re-painted the lintels and quoins etc in a lighter grey as I did before

624A144A-01C9-4E06-9709-BAA6830EDB23.jpeg.8f85e50820fa9712cb1ff7ddeac7c70b.jpeg

835EB674-321F-41D6-841C-18805AED8298.jpeg.3fa5f94a619f8e27257963ae64de8d32.jpeg

So I’m back to where I was a few weeks ago which to most (including myself) seems like a waste of time and effort just to add false ceilings and lighting

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

We live and learn. It was only when I was building my third signal of five that I realised that if I drilled a hole (12mm) in my bench working area the same size as the hole I need to drill in the layout baseboard, I could work on the signal at the bench hands-free!

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

We live and learn. It was only when I was building my third signal of five that I realised that if I drilled a hole (12mm) in my bench working area the same size as the hole I need to drill in the layout baseboard, I could work on the signal at the bench hands-free!

Good idea, I wouldn't have thought of doing that until I'd finished them all :lol:

The main reason for pulling it apart was because I don't want every 'room' to be lit as I didn't this would be particularly realistic if every 'room' had a light on?.........I'm happy to be corrected

I plan to have just the ground floor of the Station Master's house lit, not decided whether this will be all the ground floor or just one 'room'

This evening I'll go about adding the false ceilings and partitions, the added bonus being I'll have a nice cavity in the 'loft' to run the wiring etc

I still don't know whether to use bulbs or LEDs.......I like blubs as the give a nice 'gas like' glow if you turn the voltage right down but impossible to replace if/when they blow. LEDs are cooler and more reliable but there are far too bright and blue/white. I need to play with some resistors and/or a potentiometer before I decide

• Friendly/supportive 2

Damage will always occur when trying to un stick anything you need to reserve, but the insertion of a good corner Gusset never hurt anybody.:good:

If using a Bulb I tend to make up a form of Gantry using Rail, and that keeps the Bulb away from Plastic etc as a lot of heat will be caused.

You can also get Yellow LED's for a more realistic Steam era glow.

• Agree 2