True.

I'll concede the point, but I'll be damned if Id make my Pax wander through all those doors to find a train,

I had two at my station from the ladies to the Up platform and you would be surprised how many couldn't find their way through when the train was due to depart.

I'm presuming that's the Ladies WR as you haven't provided an alternate. My station was a 1931 build and had a general and a ladies WR.

Ian

Chris,

No. Emphatically NO. You're doing too good a job as it is!

A door through from the waiting room should be ample.

Pax should not be in the WR without first purchasing a ticket from the ticket window, quick about turn, through the general WR a smart left and into the ladies. Simple. One more door is all it takes.

Ian

PS I'm in N so these touches can't be so easily done and that's why I have been enjoying your build! id

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I think what you have looks fine. I agree with your room layout on the previous page. You could leave the fireplace on a flat wall and assume that the chimney is in the room behind, which could be anything you want it to be (porters room, lost luggage store, gents waiting room, ladies powder room, etc ...).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I think it might be best if I just forget about the interiors and just leave the lights off

Whatever is in the building could be left to ones own imagination

NO. Definitely NO, NO,NO Chris.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

Don't stop what you're doing Chris, the fireplace would look great either way and I'd agree that the waiting room not having a door. your floor plan and flow photo's explain  it all. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

I think plain wooden benches would have been the norm.

Nice armchair though - maybe in the Stationmaster's office? Signal cabin?

It’s for the Station Masters House, I was just messing about

I wasn’t sure about making benches because I doubt they would be seen through the windows.....but then that’s not stopped me so far

They are 3D prints from a seller on Shapeways

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Are the doors on Shapeways, Chris?

Shapeways printed them but from my own drawings, they’re just based on the Peco ones but half the thickness and without a frame around it so nowt special

I’ve also had a fireplace  printed that I’d drawn up

7DCD8829-0AC9-406B-AB81-0E7A92F5CDC3.jpeg.dcc81cfe03684c75e120341a74d4182a.jpeg

I know it’s cheating but I wanted it to look something like this

2B082A35-8F8A-40F9-BADE-24204A373FA6.jpeg.a8d4414770faa82ca9a22e70fb28070b.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Looks superb. You've nailed the fireplace, and the whole things is really excellent.

Al.

Thanks Al

unfortunately I had to redo the floor (because I didn’t wait for paint to dry as per usual) and the brown I’d mixed up for the flooring ran out and I forgot the mixture hence the difference in floorboard colour

Basically the booking office got more use and the floorboards have been re-stained by order of the station master....that’s my excuse and I’m sticking with it :jester:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, chuffinghell said:

unfortunately the brown I’d mixed up for the flooring ran out and and forgot the mixture hence the difference in floorboard colour 

I shudder to suggest you start again.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Bogie said:

I shudder to suggest you start again.

It had crossed my mind but I don’t think I have the mental strength or capacity to do that, although as usual if I were to do it again I’d do things differently

Although I could see if the booking office flooring will come off cleanly and repaint it?...I use an airbrush and like to paint things separately because I’ve found acrylic paint too soft to mask off.....especially if you’re inpatient like me and don’t like waiting for paint to cure properly 

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

It had crossed my mind but I don’t think I have the mental strength or capacity to do that, although as usual if I were to do it again I’d do things differently 

Don't overthink it Chris, what you've done is very, very good.

Some inconsistancies add to the realism, to my mind, if you make it too perfect and pristine it would look too clinical and artificial.

Something you might want to try - but I suggest you try it out on a spare piece - is to dry brush some light grey along the length of the floorboards to weather them.

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
clarity
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1