:-)

Paul.

I wish the was, I’d probably use it more often than most :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ian.dunn46 said:

After reading the last few items, I think it is time to bring out the big guns! Mike, The Stationmaster! He is of this parish and he would be the better of us all to comment on GWR signalling practice.

Ian

Probably better not to bother Mike with such trivial matters, it’s only a home layout and is never going to be 100% accurate.

Plus I’m not clever enough to take in all the information to be perfectly honest

F9DB4D76-B750-45F3-A2C0-070611E34BA5.jpeg.c4e00fe57bf77b8f88dcac213bdd7315.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

The mechanics of it all is fairly simple, it's all the variables and the prototype accuracy that does my crust in.

I think I need to get reading more books...

BTW, you're not going to be modelling the lever frame interlocking mechanism are you?

:sleepclear:

ARE YOU???

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The mechanics of it all is fairly simple, it's all the variables and the prototype accuracy that does my crust in

Agreed

14 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I think I need to get reading more books...

Being dyslexic reading isn’t one of my strong points which is why I do technical drawings for a living...I like drawings, schematic diagrams and pretty pictures instead

13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

you're not going to be modelling the lever frame interlocking mechanism are you?

:sleepclear:

ARE YOU???

Absolutely not :lol:

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I made a stab at some lever leads for your box based on St Enodoc's arrangement:

2021997493_WarrenStationLeverLeads3.png.43f47fe32f1a18cfdde9eac1a76c3e17.png

The exact wording might not be quite right - that's almost as arcane as the signalling itself. And I haven't shown any locking info yet.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Being dyslexic reading isn’t one of my strong points which is why I do technical drawings for a living...I like drawings, schematic diagrams and pretty pictures instead

I can sympathise with you there, I have a similar problem with numeracy. I have to check the figures three or four times. Didn't stop me becoming an engineer, but I prefer being an artist and maker / fixer of random relics.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I was just going to swap these two over and have the ground signal to the left of the semaphore signal which I think is what Phil suggested but I don’t know now :fool_mini:

0E39084C-C5BD-40CA-A7DC-E27AB7CE2295.jpeg.b0896f69a4503ed3af883794c93d7574.jpeg

To be honest I’m not sure if I interpreted what @Harlequin suggested correctly now! It’s no fun being thick sometimes!

I'd follow Nick's suggestion per Moretonhampstead and put the ground signal in front of the home signal - if for no other reason that it would be easier for the driver to see.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Nick C said:

I think in that case the ground signal is for movements out of the siding on the right. However I think this (Moretonhampstead) shows what you're thinking of:

I’ve taken a look at this Nick, thank you.

I left it til today to look at because my brain was hurting yesterday :lol:

As long as it doesn’t upset anyone* I’d like to do it this way
568B78A3-9E59-47AC-A7A5-4008A44EE6EE.jpeg.ce12187e7ebac58d0f3ed13fa60b0b94.jpeg

DDF14864-E5A3-497B-A006-9668167B0DFD.jpeg.354fca8827adfc944d8e7a4dae183665.jpeg

*I wouldn’t want anyone to think I was ignoring their advice

Many thanks to all those who have tried their very best to get information into my thick skull, it’s appreciated as always

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I can sympathise with you there, I have a similar problem with numeracy. I have to check the figures three or four times. Didn't stop me becoming an engineer, but I prefer being an artist and maker / fixer of random relics.

I have no problem with numeracy except for maybe spelling it :lol:

As a draughtsman I produce technical drawings to get my thoughts, ideas and designs across

However, even though I’ve been a draughtsman for 27 years my drawings are still not a patch on @Harlequin’s works of art. Personally I think he should publish a book of his layout drawing and designs

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Now I know this looks awful but I’ve painted sleeper grime under the rods just in case there are any gaps when I do the ballasting

35A4B5F7-BD90-4568-BE50-9F9151602EF3.jpeg.8e736585d76624632cc7b7a5cad3d2a9.jpeg

Easier to do it now than once it’s glued in place

I'm sure it will all come together when it’s ballasted and weathered

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I did have a pack of pulleys but I can’t find them so I’ve had to order some more so things have stalled

I’ve got plenty to be getting on with but I wanted to get the rod assembly glued down so I could fix down the platform

I’m going to put a pulley halfway in the hole in the platform here....

A4747E98-926F-493A-BD4A-D8776DBCAE9A.jpeg.ebc48c7b576db08be8a936d4cca32f0e.jpeg

....for the signal, I don’t think it will be easily seen though

And no I’m not going to use thread as cabling (even though I thought about it for a micro second)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Thought I’d have a quick look at the levers for the signal box....that you won’t be able to see :rolleyes:

The pair of four lever ground frames have been butchered

989A5979-5326-486E-8542-F13E0084D4F2.jpeg.74583f02de7d8445d5d7a4bbe3015e7c.jpeg

Needs tidying up a bit, shame to waste the diamond plate bases but I don’t throw anything away. They may come in use for something

Seems a bit daft cutting these up but it was a third of the price of the Ratio Signal box interior and I only really wanted the levers anyway

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Stick the two bases together, and mount the completed frame on them...

A quick question if I may - how wide is the rodding? I've stuck my platform edging down a coffee-stirrer from the sleeper ends, and need to run three rods in the gap, so I'm wondering if I've not left enough room!

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Stick the two bases together, and mount the completed frame on them...

A quick question if I may - how wide is the rodding? I've stuck my platform edging down a coffee-stirrer from the sleeper ends, and need to run three rods in the gap, so I'm wondering if I've not left enough room!

I thought of doing that but I’ve decided to set in into wooden floor

I've just glued three offcuts together for you and measured over the bases....

05D680E3-54A3-44F9-90F7-DD08D2426F1C.jpeg.b24e843a8e1b4f2e783fbcb2716d1949.jpeg

Hope this helps?

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I thought of doing that but I’ve decided to set in into wooden floor

I've just glued three offcuts together for you and measured over the bases....

05D680E3-54A3-44F9-90F7-DD08D2426F1C.jpeg.b24e843a8e1b4f2e783fbcb2716d1949.jpeg

Hope this helps?

Great, thanks, should just squeeze in! Looking at some photos of the real thing it looks like they often overlap the sleeper ends anyway.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nick C said:

Great, thanks, should just squeeze in! Looking at some photos of the real thing it looks like they often overlap the sleeper ends anyway.

no problem, let me know if you need any more dimensions

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Taking inspiration from @MAP66’s signal box I have made a start

2571C65F-D45C-49BF-9976-05014FFBD942.jpeg.ad4e5d765aae7c7de26c2b70c7e0a7c4.jpeg

I've raised it 1mm to clear the rods although I would probably gave gotten away with 0.5mm

I can only get so far because I’m waiting for a few bits n bobs I’ve ordered, one of which is on a 1-2 week lead time that determines the position of other items

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Help/opinions required

While waiting for bits I’ve made a tentative start in the interior of the signal box

B1984D06-15E0-4F3E-A867-CE0F06255EF5.jpeg.2d3c19c2727c443053a75f32a935dd7a.jpeg

I want to have the door open similar to how @MAP66 did his

The door with the kit is wood look on the front and plain on the back so I've laminated to thin sheets of embossed sheet together to form the door

If building the kit as it should be the door would open against the front windows thus...

4CDEAAE1-0DF0-4E5D-9302-1212B6C90745.jpeg.eeeb042b094eca23ed3c3f06b1d67675.jpeg

Personally I think the door would be best hinged opposite

E5E3B8A9-E3C1-4EE0-9C8B-7F2A445AA6B0.jpeg.663a2c85fd4f21f8c95d0aced064c407.jpeg

As this would give a unobstructed view into the box and also keep the front windows clear

F68F6A99-BEFA-45A5-A2A2-27DE29EEA0C7.jpeg.851aba69fc40319051198067970d5cea.jpeg

So my question is

Would I get away with the door hinged on the left or is there some reason why this would be frowned upon?

The yellow hinges and door stays are patent pending!

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Obvious point - make sure the door would clear the lever frame when it's being opened! I'd imagine it'd swing towards the front of the 'box, so that when open it's out of the way. You could always go for a door with a window in it, like the ones you did for the staiton building?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Makes sense to open away from the lever frame - hinge to the left.

That’s what I thought

2 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Obvious point - make sure the door would clear the lever frame when it's being opened!

The door will be glued in the open position....but yes I’ve checked that if the door where to open/close it would miss the lever frame and it would

7 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I'd imagine it'd swing towards the front of the 'box, so that when open it's out of the way.

I agree in part, however you would have thought that if you wanted the door left open on a hot sunny day for example you’d want the front windows clear of obstruction

9 minutes ago, Nick C said:

You could always go for a door with a window in it, like the ones you did for the staiton building?

Possibly but I thought that might be a bit to fancy for a little box

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2020 at 00:56, Harlequin said:

I made a stab at some lever leads for your box based on St Enodoc's arrangement:

2021997493_WarrenStationLeverLeads3.png.43f47fe32f1a18cfdde9eac1a76c3e17.png

The exact wording might not be quite right - that's almost as arcane as the signalling itself. And I haven't shown any locking info yet.

Thanks for that Phil, very helpful as always

• Friendly/supportive 1