• RMweb Gold

Managed to sort out some guttering by butchering some Peco gutters and downpipes

DD23AA61-CECA-4CF1-A23D-FDBD92C17726.jpeg.7246a3fe2dbc4d7857d493b3b325da66.jpeg

The guttering was shortened and recapped at the cut end, styrene strip added to resemble the facia and trimmed back to suit

9A9C14F5-FE4C-42EC-94C3-6A1445F5E95B.jpeg.6b08ce30b32e758f650eb4034ead112c.jpeg

The downpipe had to be twisting and bent to fit

CD70193A-AA1C-456D-B450-EF66528A4BD6.jpeg.d8655bb88ef439d46e01493a9b3582e9.jpeg

But I think it looks okay

Other than weathering the roof, bargeboards & guttering it’s basically done

• Like 9

On 25/05/2020 at 15:58, chuffinghell said:

E5E5EC88-9796-481F-ADBC-22F40B6559C2.jpeg.bdc9972fb42862f540ce48798fb4f20e.jpeg

That looks really, really, properly good Chris. Congrats on a job very well done! I hope it gives you as much pleasure and satisfaction to look at as it does your admiring audience!

Onwards and upwards, as and when the mood takes you :)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Truly inspirational,  Chris. 

'Nuff said. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Temporarily in place.....

3E43CA6E-F89E-4206-AB83-448353509569.jpeg.99e7fcf53658837821605f28ba4b97c0.jpeg

.....playing with the idea of continuing the fencing behind the signal box to keep trespassers and stray animals off the line.....maybe?

I wondered why it was a different colour. Seems reasonable there should be a fence there. What about considering a less formal one of just post and rail. Would the company have gone to the expense of continuing the station fencing? Just a thought.

Edited by Rowsley17D

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Would the company have gone to the expense of continuing the station fencing?

It's still all railway property, and as the company probably made their own fencing by the mile, I would expect it to continue. There might, however, be an access gate for the signalman, so he doesn't have to pass through passenger territory to get to the box.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Now the signal box is finished I fancied doing something a little different

so after help from @Nick C in locating the correct wheels I started to build my Cambrian 6t crane kit

Either it’s a poor kit or I’m sh*te at building it. I’ve never known a kit with so much flash to remove, p*ss poor instructions and ill fitting parts.

I suspect the problem is me because I’ve seen a few examples of the finished kit so I’m obviously doing something wrong.

I've made such a balls up I might have to give up* unless I can cut it apart and start again

*I'm not one to easily throw in the towel but this may have beaten me, I’m going to do something else and come back to it another day.....maybe

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

I can't make kits.  Of anything.  Even the RAF Refuelling Kit Ambulance.  As for wagon kits, I can get 3 wheels to touch the ground, the 4th.. .nah, never.  Buildings, scratchbuilt, much, much easier.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Now the signal box is finished I fancied doing something a little different

so after help from @Nick C in locating the correct wheels I started to build my Cambrian 6t crane kit

Either it’s a poor kit or I’m sh*te at building it. I’ve never known a kit with so much flash to remove, p*ss poor instructions and ill fitting parts.

I suspect the problem is me because I’ve seen a few examples of the finished kit so I’m obviously doing something wrong.

I've made such a balls up I might have to give up* unless I can cut it apart and start again

*I'm not one to easily throw in the towel but this may have beaten me, I’m going to do something else and come back to it another day.....maybe

I've not tried the crane, but I've built a few of their conventional wagon kits. They're not as good as Parkside's ones, which virtually fall together, but I don't remember any huge trouble. The Catfish needed a fair bit of fettling if I remember correctly. The newer ones are much better than the older ones, which can have a fair bit of flash (common as the moulds get worn, as I understand it)

Something I've found that makes wagon building much easier is a brassmasters axle spacing gauge - it holds the axles parallel while you glue the solebars on, which is something I had trouble with before, and kept getting either the three wheels on the ground that @Stubby47 describes, or bow-legged wagons with the w-irons sticking out at an odd angle.

Inspired by your signal box I've started building mine (from the Wills Saxby & Farmer kit) - got as far as gluing two sides together and realised I don't have the right colour paint for the interior walls, so it goes back on hold until the order from precision gets here...

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

As contradictory as it may seem I had no problems with the axle boxes, the crane chassis I had built is free running, better than some of my RTR wagons

I had even made use of parts from a damaged Bachmann chassis so I could fit NEM pockets

CA21C209-FF95-44ED-8E73-E135CE7E517A.jpeg.3cbf4e8903f542e75452bde4fceeaffd.jpeg

BD0EE0C5-A446-4C43-AA50-11C71ED3E31C.jpeg.64feed68ade6f7c26795d734f3c35c49.jpeg

It’s everything else I’ve struggled to fit together

I will have another try another day as I’ve managed to cut the parts apart for further fettling

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

On the plus side my Station Nameboard I drew up and had 3D printed has turned out quite well now I’ve painted it

5BCC025E-3A23-47C8-848B-8CF358D9B176.jpeg.0175e69584ad588e29952159de04f000.jpeg

I’m a bit concerned that it may be too big but it is what it is

Not sure if I should position it nearer the end of the platform?

972DC239-7A36-4C68-8CB0-035FCE8D7688.jpeg.971a60ecd0edd8eeae28728315b614b7.jpeg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

On your signal box evidence I would suggest it is not you. I found the kit a tricky little beast to build but found a crate of cider helped no end. By the end of the modelling session I cared very little about the instructions and it went together like a dream, honest.

I have since cut it up and used some parts/pieces to build the crane part of Hercules crane tank engine, a much better result in my opinion.

Good luck!

55 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

On the plus side my Station Nameboard I drew up and had 3D printed has turned out quite well now I’ve painted it

5BCC025E-3A23-47C8-848B-8CF358D9B176.jpeg.0175e69584ad588e29952159de04f000.jpeg

I’m a bit concerned that it may be too big but it is what it is

Not sure if I should position it nearer the end of the platform?

972DC239-7A36-4C68-8CB0-035FCE8D7688.jpeg.971a60ecd0edd8eeae28728315b614b7.jpeg

Looks good towards the end of the platform less cluttered IMO.

Cheers 

Pete

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, PeteN92 said:

Looks good towards the end of the platform less cluttered IMO.

Cheers 

Pete

Thanks Pete

I thought so too but as always I wasn’t sure

3 minutes ago, No46 said:

On your signal box evidence I would suggest it is not you. I found the kit a tricky little beast to build but found a crate of cider helped no end. By the end of the modelling session I cared very little about the instructions and it went together like a dream, honest.

Thank you, very reassuring

I've got some Guinness in the fridge maybe I could use that instead of the Cider?

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, No46 said:

Definitely that is the second best option of greasing the modelling wheels, in my opinion. Better still half and half although that does usually lead to less modelling and more problems, :drinks:

The danger of modelling under the influence is it leading to modelling without due care and attention

• Funny 1