• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Luckily I successfully managed to apply the transfers to the opposite side and applied a coat of gloss all over in an attempt to further disguise the carrier film, mostly for the Modelmasters transfers

The gloss was applied last night before going to bed so I won't know the results until I get home from work this evening

Fingers crossed it looks okay, if so I can finish the match truck assembly, if not I will cry

I may be teaching Grandma (or Grandad) but the gloss, unless the paint finish is gloss, goes on before applying the transfers then cover with matt varnish, but it will be interesting to see how yours turns out.

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

I may be teaching Grandma (or Grandad) but the gloss, unless the paint finish is gloss, goes on before applying the transfers then cover with matt varnish, but it will be interesting to see how yours turns out.

I applied a clear gloss coat first then put on the transfers then have applied a further coat of gloss over the top to seal the transfers

but you’re quite right about it being interesting to see how it turns out

• RMweb Gold

Applying a coat of gloss over the transfers has worked quite well (probably unnecessary) anyway it looks okay so I’ll give it a blast of matt varnish later

In the meantime I’ve used some @railtec-models 3” lettering and numbers and added these to the crane chassis

170C3BFA-D798-4A1C-B8DB-E5D11324B8FD.jpeg.ff741e0f234570c828e3d859f77bc626.jpeg

Again not prototypical but they don’t really care at Warren anymore

Its not dead straight unfortunately but it’s the best I can do particularly at that size especially with individual characters

I'm sure it will be less obvious when I’ve added a little frame dirt....maybe

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

It's come out fine Chris.

15 minutes ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Looks great from over here.

Thanks guys, that’s reassuring.

I tend to be very critical of anything I do :rolleyes:

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It looks very good from here, a place where I have got as far as chucking the still unopened kit on the bodging bench!

Thank you

Go on, open the packet and join the fun.....you know you want too

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Well that’s turned out better than expected, matt varnish over the gloss.....

33C969B2-2EAA-436E-B5CA-76A4D7B9A7B7.jpeg.727a13a4a966d3c9ed2b3eee77e23a3f.jpeg

.....and virtually no carrier film visible at all, happy days

8F65AEFB-23CB-45B5-B402-05EB4634C076.jpeg.0bc927fc61383ffa95ead01712c6c47c.jpeg

Just needs a light weathering, the lettering is a bit too clean and white

That's looking great, better than I've ever managed to get transfers looking, so I will be using your method next time. I'm sure a little light weathering all over will tone the lettering down enough, but if you you were feeling particularly masochistic, apparently sign writers paint the outline of letters smoothly in one quick flowing motion and then just 'roughly' block in the colour in the middle of each letter which could be a technique to use to weather lettering and not the surrounding area. Much easier on the full size items of course:blink:. Simon

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, simonmcp said:

That's looking great, better than I've ever managed to get transfers looking, so I will be using your method next time. I'm sure a little light weathering all over will tone the lettering down enough, but if you you were feeling particularly masochistic, apparently sign writers paint the outline of letters smoothly in one quick flowing motion and then just 'roughly' block in the colour in the middle of each letter which could be a technique to use to weather lettering and not the surrounding area. Much easier on the full size items of course:blink:. Simon

Thank you

Its not really my method. Applying waterslide transfers to a gloss finish is standard practice, so this is the first time I’ve done it properly 

Edited by chuffinghell

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Nailed it!

Al.

Thanks Al

It’s turned out much better than expected, it’s not that dissimilar to the wagons I had weathered by TMC so it doesn’t look out of place

I'm going to have a play with some weathering powders on my practice wagon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just an idea, don't do any more weathering until you can do the two wagons together ( crane & match truck).

If they ran as a pair they would be similar in appearance. 

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

I think you’re your own worst critic. I don’t model the GWR, but keep tuning in to this thread to marvel at the quality modelling you keep churning out. Most importantly, you keep trying to improve, learning from mistakes and trying new things.

So far the crane looks amazing. I remember my first attempt (at age 12?); a Diag 1/208 van by Parkside - I didn’t know what half the terms used in the instructions were and slapped the bits together with lashings of glue. The end result was awful; gaps everywhere and buffers pointing in random directions, like an Emmet drawing!

Don’t give up on wagon kits. As others have said, try a Parkside one for comparison. I’ve built a few wagons since my first disaster (both Parkside and Cambrian) and I’ve got better over time. I find Parkside ones more forgiving, with less flash and more positive joints, but Cambrian ones just need a little extra care and attention - good job you didn’t try a Catfish/Dogfish hopper; they’re a nightmare to get four wheels straight!

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

This was the bloke who thought he would avoid building any more wagons! Admit it, you're hooked!

That wagon really is looking good. I have set aside some time tomorrow to make a start on mine. It's obvious that I am going to have to get another airbrush. What type do you use?

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

.......Admit it, you're hooked!

Not quite yet

9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That wagon really is looking good

Thank you

10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I have set aside some time tomorrow to make a start on mine

I look forward to that

10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's obvious that I am going to have to get another airbrush. What type do you use?

I've got an Iwata Revolution CR its quite good, more than adequate for my ability

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's obvious that I am going to have to get another airbrush. What type do you use?

Read that as hairbrush - that's a result of SWMBO laughing at my hair last week when I forgot to brush it...

and no you can't see a photo !

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Not quite yet

Thank you

I look forward to that

I've got an Iwata Revolution CR its quite good, more than adequate for my ability

Another vote for the Iwata Revolution CR - I use it on all my loco/rolling stock weathering.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Great job with the crane and match truck. I was never happy with mine and even less with the paint finish I applied but I, like you, took it apart and started again but went left when you went right;

Hercules.jpg.59143fec411fa0547d2e4e9b955b1cad.jpg

I am sure parts of this beast are very familiar. Jib and chains all working. 

Now I do like that! Fantastic!

Did you find the two halves of the jib didn’t quite fit together properly too?.....or was it just me?

• Thanks 1