• RMweb Gold

I've been thinking (dangerous I know)

I want (not necessarily need) a permanent way brake van to accompany my crane........the gears in my head are turning and a plan is being formulated so watch this space! ;)

In the meantime I'm counting the hours until I get to go home and finish weathering the crane and strike it from the list of things to do...........and get back to finishing something else I'd started, like the layout for example :lol:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Very nice, that would do the job. In a previous life I used an old D&S outside frame AA16, but they are ridiculous money now for an obsolete lump of white metal. Last one I saw went for £82.00.

I get away with a lot but if I had bought that it would have resulted in a suspension of privileges and possibly being chased round the garden with a sword.

I think it will be a case of scratch build or bash one or both of them. Must get crane/wiring/backscene/ballasting done first though!

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Nile said:

A 4mm scale version of this?

https://peco-uk.com/collections/7mm-o/products/great-western-railway-permanent-way-brake-van

I think the Oxford TOAD would be the starting point for that.

Agreed the oxford is close to an AA6

As a starter for ten

23014366_AA6Drawing.JPG.08174af2500c36a021e4ee1f394c0f35.JPG

I do of course aim to address Oxford's bungalow style window arrangement as I'm going for an early planked version so I'm thinking it might be easier to draw it up properly and have the ends 3d printed.........because I'm a big cheat

In fact I could just as well draw up the whole body to fit the oxford chassis......that would be an interesting challenge

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I think it will be a case of scratch build or bash one or both of them

It will definitely be a Frankenstein combination

34 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Must get crane/wiring/backscene/ballasting done first though!

Not bothering with a backscene I'm just sticking with the dull boring grey wall........maybe something to consider on another layout when Warren is finished in 2030 (at the current build rate)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I get away with a lot but if I had bought that it would have resulted in a suspension of privileges and possibly being chased round the garden with a sword.

:rofl:

Lets just say I'm glad I'm no longer furloughed and can continue to have stuff delivered to my works

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

:rofl:

Lets just say I'm glad I'm no longer furloughed and can continue to have stuff delivered to my works

That's not an option for me, I work from home anyway. Since the lockdown started, I have been able to spend about £1000 on the important things, railways, books, art materials, motorcycle parts etc. We aren't going to any WW2 events, music festivals, motorcycle rallies etc this year so we've both had a bit of a spend.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

.....I have been able to spend about £1000 on the important things, railways, books, art materials, motorcycle parts etc. We aren't going to any WW2 events, music festivals, motorcycle rallies etc this year so we've both had a bit of a spend.

And I thought my 'self allowed' budget of £100 a month was pushing it, I'm gonna need a bigger overdraft :lol:

I do sometimes miss my Honda VFR750 which I used as my daily commute (I don't miss riding in the cold and the wet though)

I’d love one of these beauties though

A61F10B4-0B14-4824-9B06-BD70B3F3564D.jpeg.bff27d7d04252784835b2fd72a560162.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, GWR57xx said:

Another superb bit of work - you are setting a very high bar, I'm thinking maybe I should just give up now!

Very good of you to say thank you but don’t give up (says the guy who thinks the same when he looks at other people’s work)

I don’t think I’m setting the bar that high as there are others on here who are far better than myself (by miles) I would name names but that would require a thread all by itself

I'm sure it would look much worse if taken with a camera in proper lighting instead of an iPhone

• RMweb Gold

Nice job, Chris and it doesn't appear over-weathered in the photos. I could suggest it could take more! As to building another - why would you want two cranes? Are you expecting a sever accident at Warren? As to another kit, get something from Parkside. They go together far better than Cambrian.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That looks absolutely brilliant! I'll have to keep comparing everything that I do building mine with that as a yardstick.

Cheers. I think...

It would have become grotty quite quickly, standing around outside and receiving regularly doses of open gear lubricant, a horrible, sticky graphite based grease. I'm sure someone will know how often they were returned to Swindon for SWL testing and a quick coat of paint.

I suppose I have a decent budget, but the art materials are 90% for commission work and I have been buying bits for a 1952 Royal Enfield J2, which is really a holdover from the 30s and a1948 BSA B31 both of which have been off the road since the 60s. They probably would still be in the queue if it weren't for lockdown. We don't do new cars, package holidays, credit cards, loans, furniture on credit or anything that could be classed as "Bling".

The VFR was a dammed good bike, a bike for all seasons unlike most modern machinery. One of my friends runs an old 600 Diversion, 160000 miles on the clock and never been apart. I don't mind cold, but hate rain and the soggy aftermath of snow. I have been known to wuss out and retreat to the warmth of my other half's Triumph Herald.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I no longer post in the 'How realistic are your models? Photo challenge' thread anymore due to an over critical individual*

So I'll have to put it here

5B276816-A1D8-42AD-B9E5-605214E20EE4.jpeg.2147c678dd1840b5fadc081ae9be2713.jpeg

*That is the best way I can describe him without being banned from the site for expressing my true opinion

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

"Publish and be damned."

" There is no mistake; there has been no mistake; and there shall be no mistake."

Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington

Put it in there, it will be well received.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

As an artist, I get critics, I don't mind if they offer criticism but then a little advice on how to improve or someone else's work to have a look at.

When restoring motorcycles I get people who tell me "It should have the flat toolbox" or whatever, especially when they follow up with "My mate has the right one hanging up in his shed".

As a model maker of sorts I like someone saying "If you are modelling circa 1938 your cattle wagons wouldn't have GW painted on the ends anymore" that's all constructive criticism.

There are too many keyboard warriors and sadly people who we work with who can only make themselves look better by putting down others. They always do it in a safe environment too, something to do with being passive aggressive. I always have to smile to myself and think: You wouldn't even dare make eye contact with me in a deserted street.

Best way to beat them is to ignore them, unless you have a big stick handy?

The rest of us love to see your work and 99.9% of us are going to learn from you and offer useful criticism backed up with useful advice because as grown ups we realize that every day is a school day and we ALL learn something.

Keep posting, it has the double benefit of inspiring you and annoying the #%& * out of the idiots!

• Like 7
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

PS, I do like that new Triumph, they got it spot on, old look, modern tech. This is my daily driver, even at 71 years old, its no slouch!

WP_20190815_18_43_08_Pro.jpg

I've always subscribed to the George Orwell school of motor transport - four wheels good, two wheels bad - but I have to say that I do like that.

8 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I've always subscribed to the George Orwell school of motor transport - four wheels good, two wheels bad - but I have to say that I do like that.

I have to admit that I like both 4 wheels and 2 wheels. It's 3 wheels I don't get. I'm not talking Reliant Regals, I mean trikes. You get stuck in traffic and can't find anywhere to park, just like a car. You get cold and wet just like a bike. It's like the worst of both worlds. Same goes for people on quads that aren't sheep farmers.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

I have to admit that I like both 4 wheels and 2 wheels. It's 3 wheels I don't get. I'm not talking Reliant Regals, I mean trikes. You get stuck in traffic and can't find anywhere to park, just like a car. You get cold and wet just like a bike. It's like the worst of both worlds. Same goes for people on quads that aren't sheep farmers.

Try a V-twin Morgan.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Try a V-twin Morgan.

Done that! Loads of fun with that JAP engine thrashing away up front and the rear wheel flexing and sliding right behind you!! I had an AC petite once, it was probably the other end of the scale cool wise but just as dangerous. I never did anything with it other than rescue it from a hedge. Ended up swapping for a 1939 BSA C10. I think the best fun I have ever had off two wheels was the Austin Ulster I helped a friend restore and learned to weld at the same time. I bought a much more humble Austin 8 and carted various bits of it into school to use their gas welding gear at lunchtime.

• Like 1