As I am guilty of wandering off into one of my other favourite subjects I think it only right and proper to bring us back on topic with another instalment of "Swearing at cranes". As I posted earlier, the jib is together and I now have the winch and turntable together. I am waiting for the solvent to harden before springing in the cross shafts. I will be adding a lug to park the hook. As our host pointed out, there are no limit plates on the end of the winch drum moulding. They appear to be moulded as part of the side plates. I was gonna.... But to be honest I forgot. What I did do was fill up the weight box with some bird shot I had lying about. I had enough to fill the toolboxes on the match truck also. I will also be fixing some lead sheet under the floors too.

WP_20200617_00_41_56_Pro.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Invasion of the Grammar Nazis
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

...............As our host pointed out, there are no limit plates on the end of the winch drum moulding. They appear to be moulded as part of the side plates.................What I did do was fill up the weight box with some bird shot I had lying about..............I will also be fixing some lead sheet under the floors too.

Once the chain is in place you can only just see the flanges I added to the drum anyway 

702738708_cranedrum.JPG.c2e23820ad7ead6270d0f6ccacf9b993.JPG

I didn't bother to put weight in the weight box as I never intended for the jib to move so it's glued in place which is also why I positioned the locking lever thus:-

1648044258_cranelock.JPG.32db04f255ec7faba04357888c52a1ae.JPG

I added a bit of styrene flat and styrene bar underneath

For weight a used self adhesive car wheel balancing weights on the underside of the chassis

8057DA99-E4B6-4381-89AD-DD18C26D0014.jpeg.b79e7eccef277536d6a631d45cd52898.jpeg

This also gives me something magnetic so I can use magnets and a steel bar to hold while spraying, also stops me touching wet paint with my fingers :rolleyes:

Always method to my madness! 

E1BF6B26-3451-4F97-863B-B498C85FC6E4.jpeg.6a497d0a16f23c008f080b079be2106e.jpeg

How did you find the Jib assembly?

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Thanks for the tips there, I was going to lock the turntable in the travelling position. I couldn't see why they recommend not glueing the winch drum or head pulley, it's not as though it's a working model. The balance weights are a great idea, especially as there are lots knocking around at my mates motorcycle shop. I would never have thought of that. I filled the weight box and toolboxes because I could. It's not as though it will overwhelm any of my locomotives and lightness is one of the shortcomings of plastic kit wagons.

As for the jib, I filed everything carefully and stuck the top frane to one side before leaving it to set hard. I then stuck the bottom frame to the same side. Only once those parts were set did I fit the opposite side. I didn't worry about that head of the jib too much and pulled that together last. I put it light smear of filler in top and bottom before sanding back.When it is painted it should look okay

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I couldn't see why they recommend not glueing the winch drum or head pulley....

I must admit I didn't glue the drum in place so I could superglue the chain at one end and wind it along the drum

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

I've started to measure up the Oxford Rail Brake Van for the permanent way brake conversion

PTWAYDWG.JPG.2a8b0755f9d48aed73fa7d021c853609.JPG

This is just the basic body, I need to add the rivets etc

I'm thinking of just replacing the whole body

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Keep us posted on this one, I like the idea of creating a PW brake van.

Once I’ve finished the 2D drawing I’ll use it to create the 3D model

I would imagine having the whole body 3D printed will be quite expensive when compared to a RTR Bachmann or Hornby van but personally I thinking it will be worth it for something you can’t actually  get as a RTR model in OO gauge

If successful it will be available for anyone to buy on Shapeways although I think the price would put most people off. It may work out cheaper to have it broken down into kit form as some of the cost involved in 3D printing is the support material.

• Like 2

Not knowing what you're doing is sometimes a bonus, you look into everything and assume nothing.

I have had a root through my old books and notes but couldn't find anything that modern. I had a drawing somewhere of a ballast brake, but it's based upon one of the 1880s outside frame jobs that got lumped together as Dia. AA16.

There is an old topic under GWR rolling stock model and prototype called GWR AA7 short toad, which I believe had reference to a number of other types and where to find drawings. Iirc it's how I got my some of drawings .

Sorry I can't be any more help than that.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Not knowing what you're doing is sometimes a bonus, you look into everything and assume nothing.

I have had a root through my old books and notes but couldn't find anything that modern. I had a drawing somewhere of a ballast brake, but it's based upon one of the 1880s outside frame jobs that got lumped together as Dia. AA16.

There is an old topic under GWR rolling stock model and prototype called GWR AA7 short toad, which I believe had reference to a number of other types and where to find drawings. Iirc it's how I got my some of drawings .

Sorry I can't be any more help than that.

I’m finding this quite useful

http://www.gwr.org.uk/nobrakes.html

My permanent way brake is ‘based’ on an AA6 I think! so will be an AA6(ish) I’m going for an early two pane window, no window rain strips, flush lamp hatch and no roof rain strip....which is probably wrong

I'm unsure about the rain strips, some information suggests they had them and some information suggests they don’t which is why I’m thinking of leaving them off

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, sb67 said:

That crane and match truck is just stunning Chris. I'm looking forward to seeing the PW Brake van :)

Thanks Steve

The PW brake is still on the drawing board at the moment, I’m having to tweak it here and there until it looks about right, as will most models I’m having to compromise in some areas

I’m hoping to get the 3D drawing started next week which I’ll post on here for discussion before having it printed

• Like 2

That's looking really good. Are you putting in the early or late end windows? Earlier windows pre AA15 are split horizontally and smaller than the later windows. They also sit lower down. I believe I have a drawing somewhere that I found on the net.

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That's looking really good. Are you putting in the early or late end windows? Earlier windows pre AA15 are split horizontally and smaller than the later windows. They also sit lower down. I believe I have a drawing somewhere that I found on the net.

Early windows and flush hatch thus:-

E23A0C63-0AD2-4FDE-A626-46BD8F1D207B.jpeg.93a0dbcfa4aae125c6975451ed1f9730.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Close enough for me

window.png.805180a6a77b1ac2539e984011baa1f0.png

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Cracking job so far mate, looks good.

Al.

Thanks Al

It’s not going to be 100% accurate as I’m having to work within the limits of what is printable and also because I’m doing it to fit the Oxford Rail chassis

But hopefully it will be a good approximation 

1 hour ago, TrainMan2001 said:

But you didn't save yourself from counting...

I didn’t physically count them. The rivets are drawn on a separate layer and there are 592 entities on that layer

I’m not daft enough to actually count them, I’m definitely not a rivet counter :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I didn’t physically count them. The rivets are drawn on a separate layer and there are 592 entities on that layer

I’m not daft enough to actually count them, I’m definitely not a rivet counter :lol:

When you built the station interior, did you model any coat hooks upon which people can discard their anoraks when entering Warren Branch?

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1