• RMweb Gold

I’ve just submitted a preliminary file to shapeways and so far I’ve managed to adhere to the minimum thickness etc

The only problem is the price, I don’t think anyone would be keen on buying just the body for nearly £35......I will because I’m daft but I don’t think it will be worth offering it others to purchase because they’ll think I’m ripping them off when it’s Shapeways that calculates the prices

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve just submitted a preliminary file to shapeways and so far I’ve managed to adhere to the minimum thickness etc

The only problem is the price, I don’t think anyone would be keen on buying just the body for nearly £35......I will because I’m daft but I don’t think it will be worth offering it others to purchase because they’ll think I’m ripping them off when it’s Shapeways that calculates the prices

I think anybody in the market for a vehicle like that will be well aware of Shapeways pricing, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Al.

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I would be curious what sort of quality comes out of a resin printer such as the Any Cubic Photon, or similar.

J

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Todays Progress

3dImage.PNG.42e1e1924cbbad00a3277b511cf3f399.PNG

Buffer beam details added. The rectangular holes are to take the Oxford Rail buffer assembly and coupling hook

Unfortunately that's as much as I can do today, Limited to how much I can get done during my lunch break

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m thinking of doing two versions

One without lamp irons for the more skilled among us to add brass ones

and

One with moulded on lamp irons for lazy bug**rs like me

A9490EDE-E540-444C-97A1-937A201C4604.png.97b398cc0e1d10f5a2dfa58629a4d62a.png

I’ve tried to do them in such a way that they look like they’re not attached to the body by having a rib behind to help prevent breakage during printing/shipping.

I welcome any constructive criticism, especially if I’ve done something wrong, I’m working from photos so it possible I may have missed something

I'm trying to find details of the handle/latch for the upper door that’s clear enough to make out

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, sb67 said:

It's looking good already Chris, I sense another masterclass on the way :)

Thanks Steve

Drawing it is one thing, having it printed and hoping I’ve got the dimensions correct is another

• RMweb Gold

Drawing complete

357044072_GWRPTWayBrakeVanBody.PNG.c920e5339f84be6912bd857bc3246174.PNG

I just need to decide if I should get it printed, £35 may not seem a lot to some but it could be an expensive mistake if it doesn't work

Additional information:- 720

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold

I was tempted to put my drawing(s) on the Oxford Rail Brake van thread for help/advice before committing myself to having it printed

but I’m afraid it will Just get torn apart by those ‘in the know’ so I’m best sticking to the safety of my own thread :lol:

I’ll pop it in there if/when I actually get it done as it’s better to seek forgiveness than to ask for permission

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Chris, I may be behind the times here, but is it worth putting any detail like rain strips on the roof? My understanding was that most 3D printed curved surfaces would require sanding to get a smooth finish, so all the detail will disappear.

(Dons flame-proof jacket in readiness)

Al.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

Chris, I may be behind the times here, but is it worth putting any detail like rain strips on the roof? My understanding was that most 3D printed curved surfaces would require sanding to get a smooth finish, so all the detail will disappear.

Al.

Might be worth leaving on as after sanding it may leave a shadow which can be followed by a piece of microstrip and MEK.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Al.

No flame-proof jacket required, to be honest I was thinking along the same lines, ie leaving them off and doing

I wasn’t going to draw a roof at all as I originally intended to used plasticard and  then as @Rowsley17D suggested and use microstrip for the rain strip

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

You're designing this to fit the Oxford Rail chassis, right?  Why not use the Oxford Rail roof, as well?

Simple answer is that the roof and body of the Oxford Rail van is a one piece moulding

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Simple answer is that the roof and body of the Oxford Rail van is a one piece moulding

Shades of Hornby Dublo. I remember that because I tried modifying one when I was a teenager. Eventually I modified it to fit the bin.

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

We put our lives at risk yesterday afternoon and went to Ikea at Nottingham.

This is the first shopping I’ve done since the lockdown but on the whole I was impressed by the common sense of the vast majority

Anyway the reason for the visit was to get these

5E04C6FF-1885-4B23-BA4A-D9681B641B61.jpeg.0cca6de70ae203b103e1c3d4dd411f1f.jpeg

88811606-E83F-458A-8D9F-CC2513269C89.jpeg.8baa3b4f26002b9dbd7d7e8d89ec8067.jpeg

252B3464-059D-4643-9555-4D37DB8BC415.jpeg.959c74600d88552a1129c2ec2d83bf49.jpeg

So today I’ve been doing this.......

633C41F9-8AA6-49F7-87D4-3C4EB0CFF8AB.jpeg.12f509fc98586afe3ce4728e3c1ad139.jpeg

.....my new modelling station

I’ve stopped for a break and a brew

Quite tricky to cut the (ex) table tops to fit the bay window aperture but I’ve managed it using the cardboard packaging to make templates

It’s not as big as the dining table I was using so I’ll have to work a bit smarter (is other words keep it tidy) but I’ve now got drawers to keep my tools close to hand and my airbrush compressor will be going in the cupboard in the right

DA2180C6-142D-475F-8DA5-FF53F443F239.jpeg.b5ef7632a3aab3715350f14d9bb57986.jpeg

I would have preferred to make a complete custom one from scratch though

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1