It seems that the traction engine manufacturers were often economical with the truth when it came to having their machines weighed for plating purposes. They were weighed dry and often missing parts such as the fire bars. I think it was the Fowler BB that weighed 17 tons. 

Too big physically for the loriot anyway, without the weight consideration.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It seems that the traction engine manufacturers were often economical with the truth when it came to having their machines weighed for plating purposes. They were weighed dry and often missing parts such as the fire bars. I think it was the Fowler BB that weighed 17 tons. 

Too big physically for the loriot anyway, without the weight consideration.

I think I may have found something suitable, a Fordson Model N introduced in 1929 and produced in Ireland (then in Dagenham from 1933) so it would be period correct for my layout

The only issue is that it is a white metal kit and from what I remember white metal kits generally end up in the bin once I get my hands on them so the Oxford Diecast plough remains as plan B

I'm hoping my transfers from HMRS arrive today so I can carry on with my permanent way brake van.......having unfinished projects laying around gathering dust really grinds my gears

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

I think I may have found something suitable, a Fordson Model N introduced in 1929 and produced in Ireland (then in Dagenham from 1933) so it would be period correct for my layout

The only issue is that it is a white metal kit and from what I remember white metal kits generally end up in the bin once I get my hands on them so the Oxford Diecast plough remains as plan B

I'm hoping my transfers from HMRS arrive today so I can carry on with my permanent way brake van.......having unfinished projects laying around gathering dust really grinds my gears

I'm sure you'll be fine Chris.

My White Metal Kits have always been a failure, hammered to a pulp and then used as weight in wagons or Locos.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I have plenty to be getting on with but being mildy autistic I don't like having a number of unfinished projects.

I like to finish one project before starting another (more than one is multi-tasking)

Obviously the layout itself is excluded as it is an ongoing project, if I waited for that to be finished before doing anything else I'd have to wait until 2030

• Friendly/supportive 2

3 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

If it is a Langley or Springside kit - it is pretty simple and easy to put together.   I've built a grey Fergie and a Fordson - I think both Springside.  

I have nearly completed  the Langley Massey Ferguson Combine, approx 50 white metal parts,  I used super glue, and swore a lot.  The parts never fit perfectly so I always end up filling and filing and of course swearing a lot.

I've even been known to leave out some of the very small fiddly bits (but keep that to yourself as our little secret).     

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Gopher said:

If it is a Langley or Springside kit - it is pretty simple and easy to put together.   I've built a grey Fergie and a Fordson - I think both Springside.  

I have nearly completed  the Langley Massey Ferguson Combine, approx 50 white metal parts,  I used super glue, and swore a lot.  The parts never fit perfectly so I always end up filling and filing and of course swearing a lot.

I've even been known to leave out some of the very small fiddly bits (but keep that to yourself as our little secret).     

You’re quite right, it’s a Springside kit and not many parts

Your secret is safe with me, many because I have a terrible memory and I’ll forget about it :lol:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I had intended on putting the Oxford rail body on eBay but there’s not much left of it with me having robbed most of the bits off it :lol:

5746E7BD-4EA6-48AB-8837-AF812B03076E.jpeg.6f272c12560b7ccdf6dfa5cd73a5f49c.jpeg

I've definitely got my money’s worth out of it

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4

Seriously impressed by both the wagons that you have designed and built. I have a whole heap that I need to get on with before I start any more. There is also the small matter of getting my layout progressed! 

Plus I now have pretty much everything I need for my project and Miss Riding Hood has offered to help with the ballasting.

• Thanks 1

Seeing as how the topic has gone so far off track that it's now upside down in a field of sprouts with its driving wheels still revolving dismally, (I think Alister loosened a rail maybe?) ;) I better explain.

My name actually is Wolf and I have been known to make the most of it. 

My significant other got named Red riding hood by my friends, partly because of my name and probably more so after they saw this picture.

WP_20190704_12_15_47_Pro (2).jpg

• Like 5

Can we talk about railways again now? I have almost finished building the Cambrian Crane of Doom. Paint has finally arrived, so it will be off the bodging bench and I might risk ridicule by posting it on here! 

• Like 6

The BSA is a 1949 A7ST Star Twin. It was their flagship 500cc sports bike, which was intended for inclusion in the 1940 catalogue as a competitor for the Triumph Speed Twin. 

They were fitted with a high lift cam, bigger valves, twin carburettors and updated gearing. They were only made in this form for about 18 months before the engine was redesigned with a shorter stroke and the 650cc A10 was also introduced. The sports model continued but with only a single carburettor until replaced by the A7SS with the new swinging arm frame in 1954. 

Considering its age, it's still fast enough to get yourself in trouble and will leave pretty much any car standing. I have a few other bikes but this is my regular transport. 

She's surprisingly reliable, cheaper to look after than you might think and lots of fun on twisty back roads.

WP_20190610_21_46_22_Pro.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Now that IS forward planning!

Method in the madness........usually

I intend to fill the cavities with lead shot

I was going to use Deluxe Materials liquid gravity but the stuff is magnetic and I have magnets in the track for uncoupling purposes

DCC concepts do lead shot but I have no idea how big the shot is