I use number 9 shot which is one of the smallest at 2.29mm diameter.  (See my pictures of the Cambrian GWR crane for scale) It's basically clay pigeon shot. Mine was given to me, but I will have a look and see if it can be had cheaper than the model suppliers

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I use number 9 shot which is one of the smallest at 2.29mm diameter.  (See my pictures of the Cambrian GWR crane for scale) It's basically clay pigeon shot. Mine was given to me, but I will have a look and see if it can be had cheaper than the model suppliers

I've got some lead flashing, I could always cut that into pieces maybe........I will cross that bridge when I come to it

• Like 2

Have to rethink that. I can buy armoury shot because I have a licence. Yet there are plenty of other kinds of "shot" out there which would be just as deadly in the wrong hands that are freely available. Probably best asking the seller for diameter?!

• Informative/Useful 1

I certainly think that there would be a good number of people interested in the wagon. I would be, although at shapeway prices I will probably have to sell one of the bikes. Then we could relive another classic children's story: "What? You swapped our cow for a handful of magic beans? You dumb f###!!"...

Same result, chased round the garden by a slightly unhinged girl armed with a sword...

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I certainly think that there would be a good number of people interested in the wagon. I would be, although at shapeway prices I will probably have to sell one of the bikes. Then we could relive another classic children's story: "What? You swapped our cow for a handful of magic beans? You dumb f###!!"...

Same result, chased round the garden by a slightly unhinged girl armed with a sword...

This seems appropriate here.   Also, yes, some Chicagoans do actually sound like this.

• Funny 2

Only been to Chicago once, got stuck at O'Hare in bad weather on the way back from San Antonio. 

I didn't even get to hear much of the local accent either, but I did get to find out how upbeat and philosophical the good people of Kentucky can be when obliged to spend a night on an airport floor. Must have been a hundred or so of them stranded. It didn't seem to bother them one bit.

Honestly?   Any part of Chicago outside the airport is bad roads and high taxes, though nothing on VAT.   If you bounce through O'Hare, grab a slice of deep-dish or a Chicago-style hot dog and call it good.   Unless you really want to see rotting 'L' trestles.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Never left the metropolis that is O'Hare, I was hoping that the weather would clear and I could get a red-eye to Washington. When I was working in Missouri I had chance to look around the railways in St. Louis, some impressive bridges and stuff in the city and of course I had a regular view of the daily traffic on the lines in and out of GM's Wentzville assembly plant. Something that you don't see in the UK anymore is freight trains just rumbling across the town streets. 

Here we are, a group of strangers with a common interest in model railways and as we bounce comments back and forth, we find out that those of us who have lived a little have a lot of common ground. 

It's often referred to as "The six degrees of separation", an interesting but non railway subject, look it up.

I for one suffer from Complex PTSD as a result of some of the life experiences in the world's less desirable tourist destinations as well as showing a good number of Asperger's syndrome traits, so unfortunately I do tend to drift at times.

I wasn't the least bit put out about you taking us all off on a Grimm's fairy tale trip on Tuesday, in fact everyone, including the topic originator got a good laugh out of it.

As a very small child I got all self conscious about my name, but about 40 years ago, I realised what a great icebreaker it is.

I happen to take a great interest in what Chuffinghell is creating here, I learn something interesting, useful or funny almost daily. 

If I have irritated him in some way, then he has my sincere apologies. 

Anybody else perhaps just needs to take themselves a little less seriously and remember that we are a minority and there's a whole world out there.

Peace

Out.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I think I may have gone overboard with details you can hardly see though

Er, no?

Even if they are barely seen, it's the impression they give which lifts the model, and once painted and weathered to your usual standard, they will show.

Al.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Er, no?

Even if they are barely seen, it's the impression they give which lifts the model, and once painted and weathered to your usual standard, they will show.

Al.

Got to agree with that. It's easy to say: "Does it matter? You can hardly see it" but a good part of the challenge of making a superior model is to include, or somehow suggest what you KNOW is there. Because the paint WILL show up the details. Better to do it now than look at it later and think - I need to make a Mk2. Of course, in this case, you are going to be working on several prototypes, but now is the time to do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

As well as my 3D print my transfers arrived from HMRS today

I'm not a fan of pressfix (I prefer waterslides) but only the HMRS do the ‘PT WAY BRAKE’

A5C5BACF-6440-47D6-88AD-DE4BEC41E63E.jpeg.a64ce216efb674695ea9545b78665296.jpeg

The tonnage transfer is Modelmasters and because I’m lazy I’m having the running number printed as one transfer from Railtec as well as ‘WARREN’

It’s not 100% accurate as I think the ‘PT WAY BRAKE’ should go level with the G & W but when I laid it out on the computer it looked better as I’ve done it (I’ll keep telling myself that till I’m convinced :lol:)

I also had conflicting information on the tonnage 14 or 16....but I only had 14Tons anyway so the decision was made for me

Just got to do the other side now :wacko:

Additional - I’m not bothering with ‘CONSTRUCTION’ because the transfer from HMRS is too long to fit between the angle irons

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

It’s not 100% accurate as I think the ‘PT WAY BRAKE’ should go level with the G & W but when I laid it out on the computer it looked better as I’ve done it (I’ll keep telling myself that till I’m convinced :lol:)

I've just done a quick gurgle, and can't find any prototype photos, only other models, but the consensus seems to be the smaller lettering is laid out lower than the tops of the G and W, just as you have it. It certainly looks right to me, but then I'm not a follower of the Greasy, Wet and Rusty anyway... :D

Al.

Edited by Alister_G
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

....and can't find any prototype photos....

Me neither

.....only other models

Same

.....but then I'm not a follower of the Greasy, Wet and Rusty anyway... :D

Al.

I’ve gone for Great Western(ish) Railway

I do sometimes wonder if later BR would have been easier :rolleyes:

I’m sure I’ll get hung drawn an quartered once it’s finished and I post a photo on the Oxford Rail Toad thread....at least it hasn’t got bungalow style windows anyone :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

....Better to do it now than look at it later and think - I need to make a Mk2

That’s very true

42 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

....Of course, in this case, you are going to be working on several prototypes, but now is the time to do it.

I’m currently drawing up a Loriot M and also considering a Tool Van

I’m actually enjoying drawing them up in my ‘limited’ free time which is strange because I do drawings for a living and I don’t like doing drawings at work :lol:

• Like 2

That's probably a case of cobbler's boots. When I was in engineering I had a spell of not liking doing more of it in my spare time at work. But I then decided that I would rate the quality of my days by what I had got done for myself. That soon sorted things out!

• Friendly/supportive 3