• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

Looks great Chris, very good.

Al.

Thanks Al,

I’m tempted to have another Loriot L printed at some point and possibly look at drawing up something unique for the load like a part machined casting or something....perhaps the cast housing for the gear wheel?

I’m looking at a CC7 tool van at the moment possibly using the Oxford rail toad chassis again (but cut in half to extend the wheel base) I’m yet to put pen to paper but the design is floating around in my head at the moment (a mostly empty space :mocking_mini:)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4

Chris your design, painting and weathering techniques are up there with the very best in the business, and you know who I mean, people like Al, Kevin and Rob. There are many others but the work shown on these pages is of the highest quality mate.

Keep it up :good:

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Chris your design, painting and weathering techniques are up there with the very best in the business, and you know who I mean, people like Al, Kevin and Rob. There are many others but the work shown on these pages is of the highest quality mate.

Keep it up :good:

Thanks Andy,

Very nice of you to say, I just try my best but its the work done by Al, Kevin, Rob and yourself that inspires me to keep trying....and I’m very trying so I’m told :lol:

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, Ponthir28 said:

Just a thought from my engineering background would the gear teeth be covered in grease as a rust protection.

I must admit that I had the same thought and talked myself out of posting it. Usually the teeth would be daubed in open gear lubricant. A heavy, charcoal coloured graphite grease. If it were bare the teeth would be a dark blue grey from the hardening process. Other protection was Denso tape, a kind of 4" wide Hessian strip impregnated with a waxy grease.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

Or sealing wax, maybe.

Yes, that's another favourite for long term storage of parts. I have had a lot of parts and tools that were ex WD and coated in thick rubbery wax and 75 years on, the object underneath was like new.

• RMweb Gold
On 29/08/2020 at 18:35, Ponthir28 said:

Just a thought from my engineering background would the gear teeth be covered in grease as a rust protection.

23 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Usually the teeth would be daubed in open gear lubricant. A heavy, charcoal coloured graphite grease. If it were bare the teeth would be a dark blue grey from the hardening process. Other protection was Denso tape

23 hours ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

Or sealing wax, maybe.

Not quite sure how to achieve any of these suggestions without spoiling what I’ve done, I’ll have to experiment on a bit of scrap first

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if you can tell the difference in the photos but I’ve gotten into the habit of spraying gloss varnish on before and after applying the transfers

B45FB189-44EB-4783-9325-E3A6A17E1EC5.jpeg.fb4fa9226b4cf74354fa5748757527bd.jpeg

Followed by a coat of matt (once the gloss has cured)

B7143A79-27ED-4930-BEBF-774B92CB05FC.jpeg.43b7eb01835344a2008d444ea9d84713.jpeg

It looks very different in the flesh (so to speak) the matt varnish has lightened the colour thankfully, it’s just a shame I loaded up my airbrush with a grey darker than I originally planned

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Assembled now.....even though the varnish wasn’t fully dry (I just couldn’t help myself)

Buffers reclaimed from a damaged Hornby shunters truck, coupling hooks from a Hornby detail pack I had in my parts box and Bachmann short cranked couplings (luckily I drew the NEM pockets correctly)

11DDFA95-91D9-41F4-A3A8-9601B969A87E.jpeg.b58abab2efda71519221dc02a72ef43c.jpeg

6AF262C9-623B-42B1-A2F0-570DD44C940D.jpeg.31f14693046b04335284c13534204017.jpeg

15D74777-3450-488D-8FF9-51822EFDA3DD.jpeg.9419d986db24d77744be7095c1ef1cbf.jpeg

Just need to glue some liquid gravity into the cavities in the underside,  weather it and add the load

I’ve removed the tie down lugs because I’m doing it differently than planned so I can get the chains tight (I have a cunning plan)

Loriot.....because you’re worth it

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

If anyone shows an interest in buying one I’ll pop it in my Shapeways ‘shop’ and also look into drawing one with buffers and dummy coupling hooks as part of the body.......because I don’t know if the Hornby shunters truck buffers are available to buy as spares

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1