Why not have a go at building one yourself. You are very capable as you have proven with the other buildings. I'm not saying it wouldn't be a challenge but you have clearly shown you are expert modeller. Perhaps it could be done using modelling clay as Physicsman uses for his many miles/kilometres of stone walls?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Why not have a go at building one yourself. You are very capable as you have proven with the other buildings.

It has crossed my mind several times

46 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I'm not saying it wouldn't be a challenge but you have clearly shown you are expert modeller.

I wouldn’t consider myself an expert as I’m still learning and trying to develop my skills but very nice of you to say, thank you

• Like 1

The only thing that I have against the clay option is that I have seen so many that are just plain, er, wonky.

The arch needs to be precise and courses sharp, no matter how rough the face of the stones in the wing walls are.

But as we're all aware of the standards you set yourself, that's not going to be an issue!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The only thing that I have against the clay option is that I have seen so many that are just plain, er, wonky.

The arch needs to be precise and courses sharp, no matter how rough the face of the stones in the wing walls are.

But as we're all aware of the standards you set yourself, that's not going to be an issue!

Obviously from past dabbling I have considered designing my own and having a 3D print but that might be going a bit to far

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The reason I’ve turned my attention to the tunnel is because once that’s in place I can work towards the front of the layout

its easier to work from the back to the front because once I add the additional wood work for the canal that corner becomes more than an arms reach....if that makes sense

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Thanks Andy, I’ve got the Peco one but it very poor quality.....unless I’m just expecting too much?

I wasn’t sure if I’d get away with HO scale and I also wasn’t sure if UK tunnel entrances had to be horseshoe shaped

I think you have a different Peco one Chris, if yours is moulded grey plastic. The one in the pack is a flat cream colour portal with sepperate wing walls.

I dismissed the idea of using a tunnel to take my trains offstage as although the line is fictitious, the topography of the area I is set in doesn't call for it. I considered a road bridge but that felt contrived, so the western end of the line disappears into a shallow cutting that has a good number of trees either side and the eastern end goes offstage behind a two storey crossing keepers house. I better get on with it so that I can show you some pictures.

• Like 1

Chris, I have a single tunnel mouth with retaining side walls. It is a plastic one piece and not sure of the manufacturer but I dig it out and take a picture. If you like/want it let me know. It is going to be years before I get onto tunneling! May be tomorrow for the pic as it is in the loft with the majority of the layout things.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Look out, bad penny re-appearing!.

I would encourage you to have a go at building one yourself from embossed styrene and so on, it really gives you a great feeling of satisfaction if you get it exactly how you want, and the materials are not that expensive. I would avoid Wills sheets and go for either Slaters or SE Finecast, much easier to work with.

I've built a number of tunnels and bridges over the years, but Totley is my favourite:

grindleford-high-level009.jpg.750d06e01168a4cd5212af47d3bce1db.jpg

Al.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/09/2020 at 18:46, MAP66 said:

No one seems to have mentioned it yet but congrats on getting a pic of Warren Branch featured into the October edition of BRM, nice job.

Thanks Mark

Sarah has just come back from Morrison’s (other supermarkets are available) with the last copy :o

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 11/09/2020 at 19:54, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Please can you tell me about how your removable section works regarding rail breaks across an angle.

I have serious concerns about it with mainline trains derailing at speed etc, hence further delays in progressing my layout.

Thank you for any pointers/help. Happy for a PM if too much to put in your thread.

I have angled tracks across my board joins. I have used similar methods to Chris but with countersunk rather than round head screws.  One thing I have learned is that if using curved flexitrack it is better to ‘over bend’ so that at the join it sits naturally at something approximating the radius to reduce the stresses on the solder joint.  Accurate location is important too - I use DCC Concepts dowels which are easy to install.

I regularly run trains over at scale 40mph with no problems (that is my max operating speed) but have done faster with no issues too.

There are pictures on my thread, drop a question on there if you want more information or closeups etc.

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Those buttresses remind me of Glenfield tunnel on the Leicester and Swannington Railway, something that I always thought would make a good model, trains come out of the tunnel, straight into the station with the goods yard opposite the platform then over a level crossing that has an octagonal keepers house one side and a pub the other as view blockers.

BTW, where does the track on the right go?

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_GLENFIELD-TUNNEL-500x333.jpg

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_glenfield-station-500x333.jpg

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_R-10412104-1496911086-9335_jpeg.jpg

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_image_update_0defd7b1a6509547_1383312729_9j-4aaqsk.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no attach!
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1