• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Yes, definitely, that's what I'd go for.

Al.

Thanks Al

I'd actually forgotten that I'd already done something similar, I'm going through a phase of questioning myself

Not quite the usual black dog situation, more a drop in confidence for some reason?

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Not quite the usual black dog situation, more a drop in confidence for some reason?

Sorry to hear that mate. As one who has just been through something similar, pick yourself a small, achievable goal and work towards it?

All the best Chris,

Al.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

This is a good little guide on how Chris nevard does his, I've followed it and I'm pretty happy with how it looks.

FB_IMG_1589451837899.jpg.a31b06b874fcb75117f08f07fdd171ba.jpg

Ballast, stick it down, small lumps of das clay pressed in then smooth and stippled with a brush before painting. 

Pete 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Having been a bit down the last two weeks (no particular reason, it just happens occasionally) I’ve picked myself up this evening and have soldered the droppers onto the track that goes under the bridge on the way to the fiddleyard and I’ve also painted the curved back-scene.....just painted it in the same plain light grey as the wall behind the layout and a darker grey the same as the adjacent wall entering the fiddleyard.

In the morning I intend to lay the track so I can permanently attach the curved back-scene.....Im even going to paint the inside of the entry/exit black just to tidy it up :D

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Good for you! I suspect that it may be nothing more than the change of seasons, but Miss RRH and I have both been suffering from non specific doom. I suspect that because we both have CPTSD we just accept it and don't ever get ratty with one another, we tend to pull each other up, often in ways other people who don't get it might find a bit shocking. It generally involves juvenile behaviour! 

I need to get that damned crane finished, it's sitting right where I need to work and make up all the wiring for the layout. Then we (I have a volunteer) can paint rails and get ballasting. Freeing up the work bench means that I can get on with the buildings for the layout, which is the bit I really enjoy.

• Friendly/supportive 5

I have that dog scratching at my door too and so does my other half. It's actually how we met.

I sometimes wonder if it's CBAS, but it never is. Many people who get the Doom are generally very creative. about a million miles from lazy. A sure sign of a bout of the doom is not wanting to do the things that give you pleasure. 

It could be better classed as WTFP or What's The Feckin' Point?

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

I too suffer from mental health issues so I feel your pain. I won't bore you with the details as it's not pretty and I don't want anyone's pity either. It's my cross to bare and I get by as best I can with the help of my loving and long suffering wife. How she has stood by me for 26 years is beyond my comprehension. All I can say is that I'm a very lucky man to have her. So cheer up guys it could be a lot, lot worse. I will say that the effing plague hasn't helped peoples state of mind one little bit.    

Regards Lez.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

Managed to lay the track, airbrush the track with sleeper grime and glue on the back-scene this morning

ADF42E42-4CFC-4D0D-BE58-DABB5380ADD5.jpeg.977277a53823423c4a19d8c40127db9c.jpeg

4040FE5D-F404-4F84-89E3-A6647EBBDF76.jpeg.9751dfb0f431b70fc94335f9a160cee1.jpeg

Made another card template for the road, adjusted following the help/suggestions made by @Andrew P and @KNP still leaves space for the goods area but now allows for trees and scenery behind the road

DB801A25-47AD-4010-8B93-9BB97F04AF24.jpeg.95690bd2b732c8d10c7a26c4eaa95397.jpeg

hopefully I’ll get chance to do a little more later today/tomorrow 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Glad to see you're back doing stuff Chris :)

I’ve got a lot of catching up to do :lol:

I appreciate it looks like I may have gone too far by painting the non-scenic/fiddleyard area but I wanted it to look neat and tidy.....not that my play room stays tidy for long :blush:

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Done a little bit more today, constructed the road and build up the ‘hill’ behind the road

6F84DD1B-56CA-4AA2-9FC4-5B54BDC507F9.jpeg.15cda52c210737b6d0cb0fd6d9b9f8ed.jpeg

Roughly layer some track for the goods area

AA06C902-DD73-4736-849E-7FD7CACFBE6E.jpeg.28f25e291900bf59fc454d8562519986.jpeg

Just waiting for some sheets of polystyrene I’ve got glued together to cure before I can carve it up

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

Are you going to leave room at the end of the sidings to get a horse and cart or a lorry round to load/unload?

I will do, the track was only put in place to work out the edge of the embankment

82D504BF-B320-4207-9799-01C4F4530D61.jpeg.25236ea0b6b841dd0668ce487fd4c154.jpeg

While waiting for the polystyrene to stick together (I’ve used PVA and looks like I will have to leave it over night) I started on the bridge

A650DB7F-25DE-4742-B18E-36292788A155.jpeg.07472435cf81840c79fbf73332b0484f.jpeg

Hopefully look better once finished and painted 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Done a little bit more this evening, one of the coping stones was bent, I tried to straighten it but it snapped....hence the filler. Hopefully it will be less obvious once painted (fingers crossed)

I’m yet to level the road as I’m going to paint it before gluing it down

3DBD80B5-4237-4878-AA3D-ED73499C77F8.jpeg.2cc51c4d9322003cf07876fec2c84455.jpeg

Would I get away with one of these :-   164709DB-3B02-4EBD-ACE7-470255C87C2B.jpeg.d0b3cf6f04827bab577e7b551ba4075f.jpeg for the road over the canal or do road over canal bridges have to be humpback?

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

If the road over the canal is high up then yes, but as canals tend to follow the most level path then the road tends to cross them on the level more often than not with a hump backed bridge.

The road level is roughly 13-14ft above the water level

• Informative/Useful 2

You would probably get away with the flat arched bridge in that case. A good number of higher bridges over canals still only had the canal boat plus towpath sized arch, but they end up looking like tunnels in model form (to me at least) so I reckon go with what you have.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Road sprayed and the layout room now smells like a car body shop, oops :wacko:

FB2A73AC-C960-4ED6-9003-A8C78174449E.jpeg.4b4e85f85223a6dd51a6e4a9f83392c1.jpeg

Retaining walls glued in place. It doesn’t look great to be fair (I suspect I’ve done it wrong) so I’ll have to attempt covering any imperfections with strategically placed flocking :blush:

C9C8E3B4-CE98-4317-A627-5732EFCE4538.jpeg.037b85d97905019ab951a5dd6dc502c2.jpeg

Not planning on doing anything else this evening, I’m best leaving well alone otherwise I’ll make this worse and/or get fingerprints on the freshly painted road

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Haha, The Road smell will go in a week or so Chris, that's why I use Acrylics and usually a selection of a couple of Grey's a black and have a bit of White handy to vary the tone and colour of the Road so it not so uniform, but I do understand that that probably would not comfortably with your situation mate.

The Bridge WILL come out good once weathered as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Haha, The Road smell will go in a week or so Chris, that's why I use Acrylics and usually a selection of a couple of Grey's a black and have a bit of White handy to vary the tone and colour of the Road so it not so uniform, but I do understand that that probably would not comfortably with your situation mate.

The Bridge WILL come out good once weathered as well.

It is acrylic but it’s Humbrol spray so it still smells a bit

It’s just a base colour, I’ll be adding texture at a later date

As far as the bridge I hope so

• Like 1