BTW, the rough grass on the embankment looks cracking. For some reason I find watching the scenery development more interesting than the trains, probably because it's not so much a job of assembling the right bits. I have learned a lot from military modellers over the years, I do what I can to be half as good as they are.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

To fill the short gap between the platform and embankment I’m going to continue the fencing, it will run behind signal box and I’ve put in a gate for Simon the signalman to access the signal box without having to go through the station

DD45EE56-F3C2-4088-B474-220CFB2D5D35.jpeg.6080c648fdf0111416a6fb49c7182db9.jpeg

Hopefully it will make more sense once it’s properly in place.....fingers crossed 

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Something like this.....

79EE3BCD-A80E-436C-976F-120EA0742168.jpeg.dc7aa79ec793dc3b9acfe8545380554d.jpeg

.... I think the base of the embankment is perhaps too square? so I’ll attempt to soften that with some flockery once everything is glued in place etc

As Al, @Alister_G said a bit square, I would be doing something like this, a bit less severe and more natural.

Obviously with a better fencing.

79EE3BCD-A80E-436C-976F-120EA0742168.jpeg.dc7aa79ec793dc3b9acfe8545380554d.jpeg.f063bebc9d38b80b962239ed40f745b7.jpeg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

As Al, @Alister_G said a bit square, I would be doing something like this, a bit less severe and more natural.

Obviously with a better fencing.

79EE3BCD-A80E-436C-976F-120EA0742168.jpeg.dc7aa79ec793dc3b9acfe8545380554d.jpeg.f063bebc9d38b80b962239ed40f745b7.jpeg

I quite like that

I miss understood and just tapered off what I’d already done removing the squared edge

094815C7-8120-4611-8B20-7629135BE006.jpeg.7d680499732862c03fdbf1aef2d072d5.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 3

I don't like being picky here, but the base of the embankment would taper gently into the level ground at the base, a steep transition like that would be a source of rotational slumping (landslips!) Also, as the banking ends in a hardstanding area, there would be a soakaway along the bottom edge, a narrow trench (about 2ft) filled with ballast to prevent runoff from the bank flooding the low area around the signal box. It would disappear into the ballast at the end of the bridge wing wall.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m thinking of doing this as a compromise...

49803916-9027-4557-BB17-2438AD71F36C.jpeg.c1b1f7c36ff7d05c07c78633415d0297.jpeg

Rough grass looks very good - if you do not want to alter the slope profile you could also hide the steep transition at the base of the current embankment with some bushes - I use horse hair covered in Green Scene scatter (of various shades).  In the absence of a retaining wall this would hide the squared edge (in fact you could imagine there is a retaining wall behind the bushes).  They would of course need to be quite large - (a proper mixed briar patch), you would have to take a view on whether they might be a bit overpowering in that location.  If you go this route you might also need to add some bushes to the foot of the embankment to the right of the tracks to get a scenic balance.     

I often use bushes/undergrowth to cover up my scenic cock ups.  Not suggesting in any way that you have cocked up  with your own scenic modelling,  you always model to a very impressive high standard, but you do need a bus on a bridge.  It is the law.        

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Gopher said:

.......you always model to a very impressive high standard     

Thank you :)

33 minutes ago, Gopher said:

........but you do need a bus on a bridge,  It is the law.        

So I believe, I'll have to see what I can do about that ;)

2 hours ago, Gopher said:

... you do need a bus on a bridge.  It is the law.        

Hang on a minute, you've got a very accurate combined harvester on your bridge...

One Airfix dive bomber in the post...;)

Edited by MrWolf
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

warren.jpeg.d7bcb5dc70e3f41bd8d9d6555a559766.jpegBit of Paint, picture is worth, etc.

Actually that looks quite good, I like that!.......not how I imagined a retaining wall.

Would I get away with a sharp/square(ish) corner instead of a radius?.......it would make the coping stones easier to do :blush:

I've got a few avenues to explore now, thank you

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Hang on a minute, you've got a very accurate combined harvester on your bridge...

One Airfix dive bomber in the post...;)

That is true, but I have a single decker bus on the other bridge.  I fear my aim (whilst flying a stuka) will not be good, so great danger I will hit some other layout.  I hope it is not Little Muddle or I may have to leave the country.    

• Funny 3