Can we talk dirt(y) 

What is the angle of your bank? 

When you pile up a granular substance like soil or sand, you will find that it settles into a neat pile with the same angle of slope on all sides, called the angle of repose. No matter what you do, you won't be able to get a pile of sand to hold another angle without engineering it some how. This is one of those things I often see modelled wrongly. The angle of repose for soil is typically 30-45°. So if your bank is made of soil, unless reinforced somehow, is unlikely to have a slope greater than 45°.

For more info Grady has a very good video on the subject: 

J

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Julia said:

Can we talk dirt(y) 

What is the angle of your bank?.....

......The angle of repose for soil is typically 30-45°.

So if your bank is made of soil, unless reinforced somehow, is unlikely to have a slope greater than 45°

Oh er Matron

44.98° :lol: I’d have to measure to be sure but I think it’s about 45° (maybe a little more in some areas :o)

I’ve since performed a little surgery this evening and this is the result, it’s still in ICU at the moment

30FB8D3E-2E5B-4120-8402-F6B5ADBFE3CE.jpeg.aaafa773b9778113594e49e7d9789457.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 10

That looks much better and far less prone to a landslip. If your picket fence runs to the bottom of the bank along the backscene, that's one join hidden. I was thinking of running post and wire from the bottom left corner of the bank to the abutment pillar on the bridge, your proposed stone wall from the pillar at the roadside back to the backscene. The resulting triangle could be filled with scrubby trees and hide the embankment to backscene joint. The other created triangle of bank against the wing wall could then be rough grass.

If that makes sense?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That looks much better and far less prone to a landslip. If your picket fence runs to the bottom of the bank along the backscene, that's one join hidden. I was thinking of running post and wire from the bottom left corner of the bank to the abutment pillar on the bridge, your proposed stone wall from the pillar at the roadside back to the backscene. The resulting triangle could be filled with scrubby trees and hide the embankment to backscene joint. The other created triangle of bank against the wing wall could then be rough grass.

If that makes sense?

Once I’ve got the main elements in place I can look at the finer details, although I do have a plan

• Like 3

Hopefully they'll be flying something with a little more bite than that Sopwith Camel that the wing commander uses for trainspotting jollies. Stukas might be lumbering aerial artillery, but fighters made out of tea chests and umbrellas aren't much good against them. Just ask any country that copped for blitzkrieg.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully his chums on the Squadron should have something a bit more 1930’s like the Hawker Fury or the Gloster Gladiator, you never know they may even be lucky enough to have a couple of them new fangled Hawker Hurricanes! Can’t have the dastardly Hun bombing our British buses on bridges, let ‘em get away with that and what’s next - our Chip Shops? :D

• Funny 5

Chip shops got bombed about seventy years too early. Too many of them now and about 80% of those are garbage. 

You know how sometimes you really fancy fish and chips? In your head, you know EXACTLY what they should look, smell and taste like. 

How often are you disappointed with what is on offer locally, that stops you wanting fish and chips again for another six months or so? Instead of every Friday night like when you were a kid? 

We did about a 90 mile round trip on the bike last summer to get good fish and chips. Any excuse!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Stukas were only any good when combined with high quality fighter cover to achieve air superiority. The same can also be said for the dive bombers the Brits flew in the far east such as the Blackburn Skua and the Vultee Vengeance. Both fine with good fighter cover but sitting ducks without. I believe the JU87bs were taken down by Gloucester Gladiators both here, during the Battle of Britain, when they were "bounced" over Southampton by a training squadron and over Malta before the Hurricanes arrived. The Southampton thing may be the RAF equivalent of an urban myth but Malta is a documented fact. They also shot down He111's over Norway, Not bad for a biplane eh?

Regards Lez.Z.        

• Like 4

Gladiators were also responsible for crippling the Bismarck, something our capital ships couldn't manage. The advantage of biplanes in the days before guided missiles was that by the time a modern fighter had got one in its sights and fired, it had flown past it. 

We had a good number of aircraft that were out of date and others that were simply under refined and given the wrong jobs, such as the Defiant. 

Good fighter cover is essential for any kind of bombing raid, which all sides found out to their cost.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would also add that there wasn't anything new fangled about the Hurricane. It was basically a Fury with the top wing chopped off. Indeed from the rear of the cockpit backwards it was of wood and canvas construction. If it wasn't for the fact that it could out turn a Bf 109 it wouldn't have stood a chance. My absolute favorite Brit fighter of the early war was the Boulton Paul Defiant. It was basically rubbish as it couldn't dogfight to save it's life but it wasn't designed too. It was built as a destroyer and meant to fly with the bomber stream a shoot them down from the side. It was an OK night fighter but it was a bit of a widow maker as it was very difficult to get out of. It went out of production in 1943 which goes to show that it was a failure. I just love them! What can I say? I have a soft spot for quirky aircraft. The best Brit fighter of the war was of course the Spit. It's just sublime and the epitome of art deco.

Regards Lez.        

• Like 2

You're right, they were Swordfish, equally archaic, just as impressive / slow / insane. I have always been interested in the heroic failures too.  The Defiant being a particular favourite. It had a bad press really and was given roles it wasn't suitable for. Apparently a good number of enemy fighters found out the hard way what it could do having got onto the aircraft's tail, mistaking it for a Hurricane.

Boggles needs a Walrus flying boat. Another of my favourite relics. 

Before we let Chris have his thread back, can I give you one last bit of obscurity? One of my relatives worked in the drawing office for Reid and Sigrist on a very odd high speed reconnaissance plane called the Snargasher. 

440px-Rs4.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no attach!
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, 37Oban said:

Brambles!  You've got to have some brambles somewhere!

18 hours ago, 37Oban said:

Looks good.  Better with some brambles though!  Simon the signalman could then make bramble jam or bramble vinegar! 

12 hours ago, 37Oban said:

With brambles along the fence!

Do you think I should add some brambles? :P

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I would also add that there wasn't anything new fangled about the Hurricane. It was basically a Fury with the top wing chopped off. Indeed from the rear of the cockpit backwards it was of wood and canvas construction. If it wasn't for the fact that it could out turn a Bf 109 it wouldn't have stood a chance. My absolute favorite Brit fighter of the early war was the Boulton Paul Defiant. It was basically rubbish as it couldn't dogfight to save it's life but it wasn't designed too. It was built as a destroyer and meant to fly with the bomber stream a shoot them down from the side. It was an OK night fighter but it was a bit of a widow maker as it was very difficult to get out of. It went out of production in 1943 which goes to show that it was a failure. I just love them! What can I say? I have a soft spot for quirky aircraft. The best Brit fighter of the war was of course the Spit. It's just sublime and the epitome of art deco.

Regards Lez.        

It was however that simplicity of construction that made the hurricane such a good aircraft. Its wood and fabric construction meant it was very easy to repair. The spit on the other hand with a stretched metal skin although easy to fly not land though due to its landing carriage was a sod. It is because of this that the hurricane claimed more aircraft.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I knew you would! For some reason (Yeh, OCD!) I had the sketch below in mind and it was a nice 5 minute break from the paintings I am doing. 

IMG_20201029_214227.jpg

That looks really good, so much for me trying to avoid post and wire fencing :blink:

You just couldn't help yourself could you? you had to sneek some in! :beee:

I perhaps don't have a much room as per your wonderful sketch but it does look right.........you swine!!!! :jester:

Untitled.jpg.4831f5ae1e0715e43bde8596ee0a0773.jpg

I wonder if it needs some brambles too @37Oban :scratchhead:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 8
  • Funny 1