• RMweb Gold

Plus you'll get Blackberries in the late summer.:angel:

Best thing for brambles is old school carpet underlay and yes I do and yes you can before you ask! Just PM me with your address! 

Regards Lez.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

Plus you'll get Blackberries in the late summer.:angel:

Best thing for brambles is old school carpet underlay and yes I do and yes you can before you ask! Just PM me with your address! 

Regards Lez.  

Thank you, I've got some rubberised horsehair I thought about using.

I never even thought of carpet underlay :good:

• Like 1

Apologies for the wire fence, but it is the answer!

As for brambles, it does need a bit of vegetation behind the fence, it will hide the joint and balance up what you had in mind for the opposite bank. I put in trees of a tall scraggy type to hide the disappearing road a bit. When I say tall, 80mm would do it, so the base of the trunk would only be 2mm or so.

• Like 2

Horsehair for me every time as you can such varying results and no one hedge looks the same.

Break into small pieces as you'll get a better result than trying to do it in one piece

I spray with earth brown and sprinkle scatter unevenly as leaves with some branches bare, mainly around the base.

IMG_1121.JPG.8e908a4ecb06a6686dd61e3666ec634a.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG.d19aa1b078eb2535d4e28edc3f93d344.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG.0189f078395f0c05e7cf5f8260ffdbaf.JPG

These pictures are from an article I wrote for the BRM - June '18 issue is you want to see the whole thing.

Another trick I have used is the 'indication' of a fence by having an odd post, or a bit of fence visible, along the fence line to say, there is a fence here but it is overgrown.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Apologies for the wire fence, but it is the answer

I was only pulling your leg and I agree with you :)

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

As for brambles, it does need a bit of vegetation behind the fence........

I indent to come back to the finer details once I’ve got the main bulk in place if that makes sense but I appreciate what you’re saying and your sketch has certainly helped me see it in my minds eye, so thank you for that it was very helpful :good:

any chance of a signed copy? ;)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, KNP said:

Horsehair for me every time as you can such varying results and no one hedge looks the same.

Break into small pieces as you'll get a better result than trying to do it in one piece

I spray with earth brown and sprinkle scatter unevenly as leaves with some branches bare, mainly around the base.

IMG_1121.JPG.8e908a4ecb06a6686dd61e3666ec634a.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG.d19aa1b078eb2535d4e28edc3f93d344.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG.0189f078395f0c05e7cf5f8260ffdbaf.JPG

These pictures are from an article I wrote for the BRM - June '18 issue is you want to see the whole thing.

Another trick I have used is the 'indication' of a fence by having an odd post, or a bit of fence visible, along the fence line to say, there is a fence here but it is overgrown.

Thank you for the hints and tips, very useful and I’m grateful for your help

I will certainly have to give it a try :)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Nice.  From my fire duties on the SVR it's not outside the realm of possibility that a thoughtful signalman might have a few fire buckets stashed by the fence just in case exiting locomotives throw cinders onto the bank. 

You could even trim and blacken a little patch on the grass?  (Might be going a bit far.  Also I meant blacken using paint.  Please don't set fire to your layout.  :D )

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, FoxUnpopuli said:

Nice.  From my fire duties on the SVR it's not outside the realm of possibility that a thoughtful signalman might have a few fire buckets stashed by the fence just in case exiting locomotives throw cinders onto the bank. 

You could even trim and blacken a little patch on the grass?  (Might be going a bit far.  Also I meant blacken using paint.  Please don't set fire to your layout.  :D )

I did wonder what I could put in that area to break it up a little

As for setting it on fire I’ll reserve that option for if anything goes too wrong to fix :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

To stop me messing with things while glue is drying Sarah has treated us to the drive-in movie at Sandon Hall *

1EFC35CC-0C27-4066-8850-B965B41620E7.jpeg.eb88f0f0aab5806f2a20aab4aad7ce5a.jpeg

They are screening the original Ghostbusters, I know it’s an old film but it’s a favourite mainly because it’s the first film my parents took me to see at the cinema when I was nine years old and I’m quite looking forward to the whole drive-in experience

*I white lie, it was pre-booked but it will definitely stop me messing with stuff drying :P

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

That does look very good, much better than some of the alternatives I've seen. What make is it Chris?

Al.

Thanks Al

It’s from @osbornsmodels it’s a laser cut foam type material with the stone pattern laser etch into the surface so it’s very flexible, just the job for a winding road, undulating hillside or both!

I’ve ordered another bulk pack (about 4ft) to do the opposite side

No affiliation with Osborne Models, just a satisfied customer.

Additional: They don’t call it ‘Wibbly Wobbly Walling’ but they should :lol:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5