1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

Instead of worrying about doing stuff right I have made a decision on how to do the goods yard entrance/gate...........

............it is easier to beg forgiveness than to seek permission.

I have the same philosophy with my paintings. Rather than deliberate, I remind myself who's doing the painting. If I don't like part of it (or completely #### it up!) I can simply repaint it. You're painting a picture in 3D, exactly the same process when it comes to getting it to look right.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

No problems with a weighbridge other than the siting.

GWR as far as I can recall never put one where every item of traffic would have to pass over it when entering or leaving the yard, not everything would need to use it.

Looking at your site plan it looks a bit to congested for one plus it is in the area that would be used for vehicles to turn around in/park.

I stand to be corrected.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I know I'm going to regret asking this but...........

......would this be a feasible position for a weighbridge IF I decided to have one

Probably move it left so that the bridge plate isn't directly in the roadway. Traffic had to divert to the weighbridge in yards, saving on wear to the mechanism or possible damage from oversized loads.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Only have a 20ft turning circle but it does mean that only vehicles to be weighed travel over it

better? worse?

weighbridge2.png.56a77059ff4e1bd95c97b1c21d694098.png

I've got no problem leaving it off, I just thought it might add a bit of interest

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My weighbridge office is part of a building which also has the goods office attached. Can you make your weighbridge office part of the goods shed? If not can it go between the goods shed and the boundary wall?

DSCF7761.JPG.9939869794c754eb42c93fd97f7bb3f6.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

A while ago I found a little station in Wales that was in a cutting (single line through station with passing loop, can't remember it's name). The goods yard was very cramped with a thin shed whose loading bay was in one end rather than opposite the siding as usual.

The weighbridge and office were on the public road above the station, outside the goods yard gate, conveniently next to the pub!

There's a prototype for everything. :smile_mini:

Edited by Harlequin
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Can you make your weighbridge office part of the goods shed? If not can it go between the goods shed and the boundary wall?

weighbridge3.png.55581129f87708b09c1b97a8d211074f.png

10 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

The weighbridge and office were on the public road above the station, outside the goods yard gate, conveniently next to the pub!

pub.png.cb110fbf89996f4a7deb7b0ab015213e.png

:lol:

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

A while ago I found a little station in Wales (single line through station with passing loop, can't remember it's name) that was in a cutting. The goods yard was very cramped with a thin shed whose loading bay was in one end rather than opposite the siding as usual.

There's a prototype for everything. :smile_mini:

As always I'm open to any suggestions ;)

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I think your red option is probably the best one - the blue option would make it very difficult to approach to get the vehicle square on the weighbridge.

Al.

Thanks Al

The goods shed drawn is the ratio goods shed (as yet still unbuilt)

Ratio do a goods shed in a similar design to the engine shed in N gauge but unfortunately not in OO

B1FC1C1D-CFB1-4A4B-9664-15B495586452.jpeg.903ab6f9f59b26910f58ded3538d3ea0.jpeg

I’m contemplating designing my own and having it 3D printed like I did with the pump house, this with open up the space.

• Like 4

That store / office at Henllan is very much from the same stable as the tin goods shed from Shipston on Stour which of course also makes a centre stage appearance at Little Muddle. 

Disused-stations.org also has plenty of information on Culkerton, I just don't know how to post the link via this phone!

• RMweb Gold

I’ve had a quick look at the goods yard entrance......

4C2DFD2D-2B04-4271-B53F-E9EDFEEF3730.jpeg.b64be45ee55b9b1321862f662b9158ed.jpeg

......hmmmm :scratchhead:I think it would look better curved into the yard maybe?

In the meantime I’ve build up the false wall to allow me to position the canal bridge

49B6F6DB-BF6D-4451-8199-D94C05107114.jpeg.2b85412e74a76cf9fc6cd872b3a6a527.jpeg

I need to either put a cutout in the road to set it in slightly or glue the stone walling half on/off the edge of the road so that the inside faces are flush

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, richbrummitt said:

All this talk of buildings is very important but there are other important questions that might easily be overlooked. One example: How are we spelling bramblery ?

And if you add more brambles, will it be bramblerier :jester:

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve had a quick look at the goods yard entrance......

4C2DFD2D-2B04-4271-B53F-E9EDFEEF3730.jpeg.b64be45ee55b9b1321862f662b9158ed.jpeg

......hmmmm :scratchhead:I think it would look better curved into the yard maybe?

Yes, I agree.

I know I previously said not, but that was yesterday...

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Yes, I agree.

I know I previously said not, but that was yesterday...

Al.

Yeah, I said the same yesterday, but today is Wednesday so Al, @Alister_G and I are allowed to change our minds, the sweep in would be better.:good:

• Like 1