• RMweb Gold

Going back to the question of siting the Weighbridge and office, Mortenhampstead Station had the signal box attached to the Engine shed. So not much of a leap to have the Weighbridge office as part of the goods shed with the Weighbridge deck just alongside. I feel a 3d print coming:D.

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, simonmcp said:

...........I feel a 3d print coming:D.

Simon

You know I think you might be right. It won't be for a while though as it will take some designing/drawing, plus I've got more than enough to be getting on with in the meantime

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A weigh bridge will be as close to the yard entry/exit as practical especially if it involves coal or aggregates. If you think about it I'm sure you will see why. Every place I've worked in that had a weigh bridge had it right next to the gate. In one case, a waste paper collection yard, you had no other option than to drive across the bridge both in and out.

Regards Lez.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

A weigh bridge will be as close to the yard entry/exit as practical especially if it involves coal or aggregates. If you think about it I'm sure you will see why. Every place I've worked in that had a weigh bridge had it right next to the gate. In one case, a waste paper collection yard, you had no other option than to drive across the bridge both in and out.

Regards Lez.

Hi Lez, thanks for your input

That's what I thought which is why I sited it at the entrance initially, I don't need to decide straight away so I've got time to ponder

19 hours ago, MrWolf said:

What's all this about brambles?

Hi Mr Wolf,

Brambles are a common plant, with over 600 species, they grow everywhere, especially on waste or unkempt land or around derelict buildings, even gaps between modern modular buildings, provide a habitat for wildlife and the fruits are delicious!  Yet, like nettles, which are just as ubiquitous, you rarely see them modelled on layouts.  I stand for brambles!  Does that make me a bramblier, as a brambler is some-one who picks brambles?

Roja

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just now, 37Oban said:

Hi Mr Wolf,

Brambles are a common plant, with over 600 species, they grow everywhere, especially on waste or unkempt land or around derelict buildings, even gaps between modern modular buildings, provide a habitat for wildlife and the fruits are delicious!  Yet, like nettles, which are just as ubiquitous, you rarely see them modelled on layouts.  I stand for brambles!  Does that make me a bramblier, as a brambler is some-one who picks brambles?

Roja

Just don't hug them......OK?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

Brambly Warren...

Has a nice ring to it... :wink_mini:

Inhabited by the prickly hot cross bunny rabbits. 

27 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Further road surface experimentation

Silicon Carbide Grit

926B202C-B547-444C-81E4-CFF58026FBF1.jpeg.93d6860ec5406190bb6cddd648dfba40.jpeg

63C0B02C-74AF-4CD7-9E04-D038BEFBAC73.jpeg.88330c9d76d3e1451e56248ffb2346ec.jpeg

400 grit looks promising 

Edited by richbrummitt
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Close up it gives the effect of ballast rather than the 1/2" to dust grading that roads are.  We're back to the 4mm scale bicycle test again and whether you end up with your b######s for earrings as a result of riding along it. 

What about the 220 for a base layer then the 400 as infill / finishing layer as per Gophers high street?

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Admittedly I quite like the 220 grit, perhaps the close up photo makes it look more course than it actually is?

Roads get more compacted and therefore smoother as they wear. Then they break up with further age. Dirt roads get rutted if used when wet. The 220 could be good at the sides for the lesser used areas and add some variation to the macro texture. Micro texture variation will come with powders etc. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

Roads get more compacted and therefore smoother as they wear.

but the roads in Staffordshire are as smooth as the surface of the moon with the exception of craters.........which are smaller on the moon

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget that what you are looking for is the surface as it was in the 30's before they started the whole tar-and-chippings rubbish we endure today. Made roads were much smoother - and better maintained!

Al.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Alister_G said:

Don't forget that what you are looking for is the surface as it was in the 30's before they started the whole tar-and-chippings rubbish we endure today. Made roads were much smoother - and better maintained!

Al.

I never thought of that, I shouldn’t be allowed out on my own :blink:

• Friendly/supportive 2

Even the un-tarred roads of chalk or limestone were put down with steamrollers, none of the spray on tar, scatter chippings and let the traffic roll it in approach we have had the last 40 years or so. Also with the rapid growth of road transport after World War I, as well as job creation, British roads got major makeover.

• Informative/Useful 1