• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

You should fit a servo to the gate Chris. Then of course there's the faller road system.:angel:

Regards Lez. 

A servo did cross my mind, if fact even Sarah suggested it but I don’t want to over complicate things (that’s when I make mistakes)

• Friendly/supportive 3

Yes, servo operated gate, Faller road system powering, say buses? Preferably Leyland National 2s in some sort of Stagecoach pile ointment livery, followed closely by radio controlled Stuka squadron... :jester:

On a serious note, the gate stop would probably be about 5 inches square and about two feet high with a hook on it. Or possibly a big rock if the gate was set to swing open.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

On a serious note, the gate stop would probably be about 5 inches square and about two feet high with a hook on it. Or possibly a big rock if the gate was set to swing open.

Fair enough, that works out at about 1.6mm square. 

I just found out that they had a similar item to which the arm control chain on the water cranes was secured to, to prevent the wind hitting the bag an swinging the arm out over the track.  

So now I need to make one!

• RMweb Gold

Whilst waiting for bits to arrive I’ve had a look at a post and wire fence up the embankment as suggested by @MrWolf

I’ve not done it the correct way, I’ve used 0.3mm nickel silver rod and glued it to the back of some Ratio posts as a one piece rigid assembly

BE06340F-7348-4BAB-B73F-90AB360F9C75.jpeg.277aa23b6dca327be02f9329f15674c1.jpeg

I’ve done it this way because I felt it would be easier to put in place? It needs painting before fixing in place properly (if I decide to go ahead)

• Like 11

10 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Whilst waiting for bits to arrive I’ve had a look at a post and wire fence up the embankment as suggested by @MrWolf

I’ve not done it the correct way, I’ve used 0.3mm nickel silver rod and glued it to the back of some Ratio posts as a one piece rigid assembly

BE06340F-7348-4BAB-B73F-90AB360F9C75.jpeg.277aa23b6dca327be02f9329f15674c1.jpeg

I’ve done it this way because I felt it would be easier to put in place? It needs painting before fixing in place properly (if I decide to go ahead)

That  looks really good Chris, then just fill in along the very back with Bramble and Bushed, maybe even a Tree to take the eye away from the harshness of the strait edge embankment line, Then also a small amount in front of the fencings as weeds Bushes and Brambles are not to fussy where they grow  and the land up there would not be like a neat lawn.

I do like that fence though mate.:good:

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

That  looks really good Chris, then just fill in along the very back with Bramble and Bushed, maybe even a Tree to take the eye away from the harshness of the strait edge embankment line, Then also a small amount in front of the fencings as weeds Bushes and Brambles are not to fussy where they grow  and the land up there would not be like a neat lawn.

I do like that fence though mate.:good:

Thanks Andy, I’ll try that.

I've given it an overall covering of Vallejo ‘Steel’

A14C1BEE-3208-42EB-B75D-48D380D6F599.jpeg.8bb05b83c139307a936349bbb66cc021.jpeg

I’ll paint the posts this evening before attempting to tone it down with weathering powders and Matt varnish

I'm still not sure if I like it or not yet

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

And as an an alternative to brambles you could have briars (wild roses).  Not as common as brambles though, and prefer hedges because of their climbing nature but not unknown to scramble along fences!

Roja

Thanks Roja

I'm still not convinced about the fencing but maybe it's because it's all one colour? perhaps I'll feel better about it once the posts are painted and the wire is weathered

I was thinking about having ivy too?

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Thanks Roja

I'm still not convinced about the fencing but maybe it's because it's all one colour? perhaps I'll feel better about it once the posts are painted and the wire is weathered

I was thinking about having ivy too?

Chris

Hi, and don't forget the bindweed!

Roja

• Agree 1

If I find that I don’t like the fence up the embankment, how about just a lot of overgrowth up the the bank instead?

Yes Chris, I think even with the fence - (painted and weathered) you need to mask it with undergrowth/overgrowth etc.  I'm also not convinced about the fence.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

If I find that I don’t like the fence up the embankment, how about just a lot of overgrowth up the the bank instead?

Or both, with of fence seen through gaps in the hedge,...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Or both, with of fence seen through gaps in the hedge,...

That’s not a bad idea, at least then I’ve not wasted my time with the fence

B54C6C99-E106-4B83-988C-1DBEF90968EE.jpeg.b92d3d42e6b74aafd96093192dd6ffe9.jpeg

Doesn’t look as bad with the posts painted, despite applying weathering powder to the wire you can’t really tell from a distance but it’s taken the ‘shine’ off the wire

It will obviously sit a good 5mm lower if/when I drill fixing holes

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

That’s not a bad idea, at least then I’ve not wasted my time with the fence

B54C6C99-E106-4B83-988C-1DBEF90968EE.jpeg.b92d3d42e6b74aafd96093192dd6ffe9.jpeg

Doesn’t look as bad with the posts painted, despite applying weathering powder to the wire you can’t really tell from a distance but it’s taken the ‘shine’ off the wire

It will obviously sit a good 5mm lower if/when I drill fixing holes

I think it will look a lot better with the height as it should be (5mm lower). It only looks odd to me because it is so much larger than the adjacent fence. Your post above explains all. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Decision made, fence is in. It was a bit of a struggle and I nearly lost my temper.

I couldn’t get in with the static grass applicator properly to tidy it up so rightly or wrongly I sprayed watered down PVA on the grass and sprinkled on some flock

33067B2A-4EC8-41E2-A9FC-7DE2E3ECBDAF.jpeg.c3ad0b43bf38b09cb14e66ca25f26da8.jpeg

I’ll be adding some bushes/brambles/shrubbery behind and in and around the fence too

Just hope it looks okay in the morning when the glue has cured....wish me luck because I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

16 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Decision made, fence is in. It was a bit of a struggle and I nearly lost my temper.

I couldn’t get in with the static grass applicator properly to tidy it up so rightly or wrongly I sprayed watered down PVA on the grass and sprinkled on some flock

33067B2A-4EC8-41E2-A9FC-7DE2E3ECBDAF.jpeg.c3ad0b43bf38b09cb14e66ca25f26da8.jpeg

I’ll be adding some bushes/brambles/shrubbery behind and in and around the fence too

Just hope it looks okay in the morning when the glue has cured....wish me luck because I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing

The more you put in, in the way of Bushes, Shubbery, Brambles, Hedging etc the better it will look, but the secret is NOT to try and be tidy. I do respect that it will be difficult for you, but trust me, untidyness is just how Nature is Chris. If your worried check out my Trebudoc Scenics Video in the The Budoc Bridge Branch, and you will see that a quick bodge is easy. Also note that you don't need to worry about Static Grass under rough ground.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think that it's looking really convincing (well I suppose that I would!) I'm even feeling some vague pangs of guilt for suggesting the fence. All i can say is leave Bertie on the bridge, he has a certain charm as buses go. There will be no air strike!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I think that it's looking really convincing (well I suppose that I would!) I'm even feeling some vague pangs of guilt for suggesting the fence. All i can say is leave Bertie on the bridge, he has a certain charm as buses go. There will be no air strike!

No need to feel guilty, it looks right despite trying to convince myself otherwise.

I don’t think Bertie quite fits in with the general scheme of things but I wouldn’t like to see him injured so thanks for calling off the air strike. I’ll make sure he’s hidden from harm