• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

If you're going with some sort of resin then you need to block the ends.....

I forgot to mention that as before I have blocked off the end beyond the bridge, the other end will also be blocked off

DE85EC5A-A988-4F33-8E76-9F8D31FDF5DD.jpeg.7acf87ecc31906980cda91f0397fb9f4.jpeg

I’ve also tried to get the joints as tight as possible

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Cracking stuff as ever, Chris - nicely done! That narrowing of the canal under the bridge is a strong prototypical element that will really help it feel real, good to see it present :)

Jumping the gun, a gentle word on canal barges: each canal had it's own design of barge as distinctive as railway wagons are to their home areas. I can't remember where on the GWR Warren is set, but it might be worth an evening of Googling to investigate. Unless you're going for the now-ubiquitous Midlands narrowboat there might not be anything suitable off the shelf...but a bespoke model from the right region would be well within your capabilities :)

Thanks for inspiration (I'm nicking that mirror-under-the-bridge idea), all the best,

Schooner

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Once filled, sanded, painted and scenery added there will be no visible joins, however if there are I have found my sledgehammer in the shed 

I rather think what Simon meant about the join was that you have so far only done this bit of the canal:

1B3C2C41-D832-40F5-8E98-44C4D6625610.png.b3173ee0162554d959879b4f995826d4.png

So there will be a join where the next bit is attached which might be difficult to disguise, unless you are not planning to resin it until the full length is completed?

Al.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I rather think what Simon meant about the join was that you have so far only done this bit of the canal:

1B3C2C41-D832-40F5-8E98-44C4D6625610.png.b3173ee0162554d959879b4f995826d4.png

So there will be a join where the next bit is attached which might be difficult to disguise, unless you are not planning to resin it until the full length is completed?

Al.

You’re quite right, I’m planning to do the whole canal length in one go and therefore not adding the resin until everything else is filled and sanded flat....and level!

the only reason I have done this part is to be able to install the canal bridge and part of the embankment which will make it possible to surface the road all in one go (while I can reach it)

The sequence in which I’m doing things may seem strange but it’s all based on what I can comfortably get to....probably doesn’t make sense but I promise there is method to my madness 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, chuffinghell said:

You’re quite right, I’m planning to do the whole canal length in one go and therefore not adding the resin until everything else is filled and sanded flat....and level!

the only reason I have done this part is to be able to install the canal bridge and part of the embankment which will make it possible to surface the road all in one go (while I can reach it)

The sequence in which I’m doing things may seem strange but it’s all based on what I can comfortably get to....probably doesn’t make sense but I promise there is method to my madness 

No that makes perfect sense to me - I'm obviously just as deranged as you are... :D

Al.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

No that makes perfect sense to me - I'm obviously just as deranged as you are... :D

Al.

Same as the canal I want to do the road surface in one go so I don’t end up with joins in it.

If I build out the baseboard now to finish the canal the ‘belly stick out to arm reach’ ratio would prevent me from doing this.

The ‘shortarse to baseboard height’ ratio is also a factor

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Schooner said:

Cracking stuff as ever, Chris - nicely done! That narrowing of the canal under the bridge is a strong prototypical element that will really help it feel real, good to see it present :)

Jumping the gun, a gentle word on canal barges: each canal had it's own design of barge as distinctive as railway wagons are to their home areas. I can't remember where on the GWR Warren is set, but it might be worth an evening of Googling to investigate. Unless you're going for the now-ubiquitous Midlands narrowboat there might not be anything suitable off the shelf...but a bespoke model from the right region would be well within your capabilities :)

Thanks for inspiration (I'm nicking that mirror-under-the-bridge idea), all the best,

Schooner

Warren is located in my head and is a fictional location loosely based on GWR

However that said I appreciate the heads up as I would have no doubt purchased the wrong thing

The mirror under the bridge idea is not yet patented (or proven) so you’re welcome to nick the idea

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chuffinghell said:

...the wrong thing

Not 'wrong'!

Warren is, as predicted by many here, turning into an exceptional layout which does you much credit. My suggestion was just a thought on how to increase the depth of immersion - I'm no authority to call anything right or wrong!  

Keep up the good work :)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 21/11/2020 at 11:00, MAP66 said:

"It doesn't look pretty"

I disagree, its looking 'pretty good', very nice work. Instead of a mirrow, perhaps try some matt black card first to see how that looks.

I had already cut an arch out of 1mm plasticard to attach a self adhesive reflective sheet, in the meantime I have painted it black to try Marks suggestion and I quite like it

3C82589E-C383-4466-A910-FFE158F274F5.jpeg.99edfdbb714f696b6026dfe220e195a3.jpeg

EEB7AD13-2610-4A13-9D7D-FB8BCE72808D.jpeg.dd43de4130ac6588e389b4063e052fa8.jpeg

I always appreciate peoples suggestions and support

I will still try the mirror but I’m liking this because I can put a horse draw boat here (a cut down boat just emerging) and I won’t have the horses ar$e reflected in a mirror :lol:

I want to use clear resin so I think I need a much darker brown, perhaps almost a black-brown to create the illusion of depth?

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, KNP said:

Mirrors great until you get the angle of viewing wrong then it looks what it is.

Stick with the matt black card and leave in the shadow.....

Thanks Kevin, you’re quite right and I certainly don’t want my ugly mug in any close up photos :lol:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Also Chris, don't forget, when doing the Road, if there is a patch a slightly different colour or texture it will look a lot better, just look at a real Road and see resurfacing  and repairs.

If I look at roads around here I’ll have to gouge out 8” scale deep potholes 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

EEB7AD13-2610-4A13-9D7D-FB8BCE72808D.jpeg.dd43de4130ac6588e389b4063e052fa8.jpeg

I want to use clear resin so I think I need a much darker brown, perhaps almost a black-brown to create the illusion of depth?

Canals that are in use are a very muddy green/brown colour and almost completely opaque. It's only when they're not being used that they go clear and you can nowadays see the shopping trollies and bikes on the bottom:wacko:

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 minutes ago, simonmcp said:

Canals that are in use are a very muddy green/brown colour and almost completely opaque. It's only when they're not being used that they go clear and you can nowadays see the shopping trollies and bikes on the bottom:wacko:

Indeed, see my pics now on the previous page, of the Canal on Kings Moreton, it is a Grey / Brown / Green / White mix and about 30 coats of PVA each left to dry, I was doing 2 coats a day, first thing in the morning and again at bed time.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, simonmcp said:

Thanks Simon

I hold my hands up, I was basically going to use woodland scenics clear realistic water because you can use it out of the bottle.

I had considered the deep pour murky water two part system but there’s a lot of mixing, waiting and faffing about and is more expensive :blush:

Perhaps I shouldn't be so lazy and use the murky water version which appears to give the effect you describe.

Thanks

Chris

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Schooner said:

...or can you add dye to the one part stuff for the best of both worlds...?

I’m not sure, that would certainly be a good idea if you can. I’d certainly be interested if anyone has tried this

9 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

...or just paint the bottom a suitable colour before you pour the resin...

Al.

That was the original plan as I’m only putting in a thin layer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simonmcp said:

Round these parts the bikes are the bottom. Canals here are 3m of water, 3m of bikes, and then 3m of YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW!!!.

Greetings from Amsterdam...

J

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

Our canals used to be simpler in the UK, generally 4 inches of diesel oil and 4 feet of shi....

When I was a kid in Leicester, the canal used to change colour based on what the hosiery / shoe factories were doing. 

Of course, now all the industry is gone, the canal runs clear.

Which makes finding the drowned smackheads much easier.....

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m not sure, that would certainly be a good idea if you can. I’d certainly be interested if anyone has tried this

It might be worth having a read through the Black Country Blues thread, that has quite a bit of very well built canal in it (the rest of it was rather good too).

Adrian

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, Alister_G said:

When I was doing Cromford Bottom (ooo errrr missus) it's what I did. Sadly never got round to doing the resin bit, but here's what colour I painted it:

the-cromford-build107.jpg.9f780b8b28cf7a08498480cebdbf1164.jpg

Al.

Just a suggestion Chris and I have no experience never having modelled water. But when you look at an actual river the colour it's bed is varies. So rather than having the canal bed one colour I'd suggest having  a range say brown, greens, greys etc and in splodges that merge into one another. As I say I've not done this so no idea if or how it would look. Certain though whatever you do will look great.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Just a suggestion Chris and I have no experience never having modelled water. But when you look at an actual river the colour it's bed is varies. So rather than having the canal bed one colour I'd suggest having  a range say brown, greens, greys etc and in splodges that merge into one another. As I say I've not done this so no idea if or how it would look. Certain though whatever you do will look great.

Yes, That is exactly the colours I used, (see my post further up), and my pics on previous page, for many varied colours, it needs a blend of colours so as not to have a flat look about it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1