• RMweb Premium
On 13/03/2020 at 18:30, chuffinghell said:

Well too late now, it’s all glued in place

789A333E-8AC2-45DA-A81A-79440B78F200.jpeg.822417a7590ecb68ff09e531903858c8.jpeg

So if it’s wrong it’s wrong permanently 

Chris 

Congrats on getting into Januarys edition of BRM with your super detailed waiting room interior. That fire place is something else. Very well done Sir.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MAP66 said:

Chris 

Congrats on getting into Januarys edition of BRM with your super detailed waiting room interior. That fire place is something else. Very well done Sir.

Seconded.

Al.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MAP66 said:

Chris 

1 hour ago, Alister_G said:

Seconded.

Al.

Thanks guys

It was just the boost I needed to reignite the enthusiasm 

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/11/2020 at 18:57, figworthy said:

Looking good.  For various reasons, canal water levels do vary a bit over time, so when you come to paint it, you _might_ want to consider a green "tide" line just above the water level, suggesting that the level is down slightly.

Adrian

would this suffice? I’ve basically used the first mortar line as a guide

FFE3884A-2CAC-4244-9C9B-1C9C6BAF0BC9.jpeg.aa290950da0a7c3ef729ae2cf50d5a15.jpeg

It’s a guess because I’ve no idea how thick/thin the resin will be when poured

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I don't see why not, if your water level ends up higher, (due perhaps to heavy rainfall or some chump missing the bridge with a bus), then you can always repaint the high water mark.

I’ve used weathering powder at the moment, a main concern with painting after adding the resin would be making a pigs ear of it

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve used weathering powder, a main concern with painting after adding the resin would be making a pigs ear of it

Weathering powders are something that I am not familiar with using, but having seen the results others get with them I will have to have a go. 

Can you add more powder if need be and simply wipe any overspill off the resin water?

9 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve used weathering powder at the moment, a main concern with painting after adding the resin would be making a pigs ear of it

How deep do you plan on doing the resin? I'm guessing you're painting the base of the canal prior to filling with resin?

• RMweb Gold
Just now, MrWolf said:

Weathering powders are something that I am not familiar with using, but having seen the results others get with them I will have to have a go. 

Can you add more powder if need be and simply wipe any overspill off the resin water?

I’m not sure as it tends to get everywhere when I use it :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 2

3 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m not sure as it tends to get everywhere when I use it :lol:

I think that is a private matter between consenting adults. Better make sure that Mrs Chuffinghell doesn't find out either.....:jester:

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, LDM34046 said:

How deep do you plan on doing the resin? I'm guessing you're painting the base of the canal prior to filling with resin?

I’m assuming/guessing it will be between 2-3mm. Once it’s fully made I should be able to work out the volume and take it from there.

I will be painting the base of the canal but from what I’ve seen you can’t really see the base when using tinted resin.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I think that is a private matter between consenting adults. Better make sure that Mrs Chuffinghell doesn't find out either.....:jester:

Or you could simply raise your high water mark up by a course of blocks before adding water. Especially if it darkens the existing green band in the process.

Just now, chuffinghell said:

I will be painting the base of the canal but from what I’ve seen you can’t really see the base when using tinted resin.

Interestingly, on a previous project we painted the base and then poured the two part resin on top. However we later redid it and painted directly on top of the resin however this was replicating lava (don't ask) and the first method looked like water. I suppose it depends how murky you want the canal. I reckon with only 2-3mm it should be fine, coupled with some nice tuffs of grass waters edge.

• Informative/Useful 2

It's a lousy photo I'm afraid, but I have a sort of mud colour with the high water mark in light over dark green in a slightly more impressionist style. Still got to paint the heavy concrete flaunchings though, not happy with the colour.

IMG_20201201_230912.jpg

IMG_20201201_230852.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no load!
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, LDM34046 said:

Interestingly, on a previous project we painted the base and then poured the two part resin on top. However we later redid it and painted directly on top of the resin however this was replicating lava (don't ask) and the first method looked like water. I suppose it depends how murky you want the canal. I reckon with only 2-3mm it should be fine, coupled with some nice tuffs of grass waters edge.

did you use a clear resin?

I’m planning on using woodland scenics murky

1 hour ago, chuffinghell said:

did you use a clear resin?

I’m planning on using woodland scenics murky

How times have changed! I didn't realise they do 'murky' resin now. We did this about 6-7 years ago and I think it was just crystal clear resin of eBay.

Interesting to see how the woodland scenics resin turns out, not seen or heard of it before.

12 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

would this suffice? I’ve basically used the first mortar line as a guide

FFE3884A-2CAC-4244-9C9B-1C9C6BAF0BC9.jpeg.aa290950da0a7c3ef729ae2cf50d5a15.jpeg

It’s a guess because I’ve no idea how thick/thin the resin will be when poured

Personally I'd go a fair bit darker at the bottom and graduate it. I found the Vallejo light and dark slimey grime worked wonderfully for this kind of thing...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, LDM34046 said:

How times have changed! I didn't realise they do 'murky' resin now. We did this about 6-7 years ago and I think it was just crystal clear resin of eBay.

Interesting to see how the woodland scenics resin turns out, not seen or heard of it before.

It’s quite murky by the looks of things....

0F0A51DE-12E9-4DB5-A91A-5DEA642D2D02.jpeg.8da5b5484c56de5fe3ff1e2b7e26535a.jpeg

....hence why I'm not sure if painting the canal base would make much difference

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2